Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Has anyone heard back from University of Houston (Counseling Psych)? There is 1 interview listed in results from 11/30. I've called and they say look for a response 6 weeks (minus the 2 week holiday break) after the deadline. Going on what, 10 weeks now?

Just a quick reminder: There are programs that are just beginning the process of reviewing applications. I imagine some have not begun yet. Practice self-care during this stressful time. Do things you enjoy (to the best of your ability). Flesh out your Plan B. Many of us needed multiple cycles of applications to finally get into programs. I needed 3. Your timeline is your own. Despite how it feels, you are not in competition. Be well and good luck!

15 hours ago, nmoyers97 said:

Clinical, you? I'm so nervous... I applied over a month ago. Do you know much about the application process after submitting? To be honest, this isn't my top choice, but still curious :)

I also applied to Rutgers PsyD clinical and haven’t heard but given their deadline was January 9th I am guessing it’ll be next week or the week after. Super nervous since this is my first choice but it seems this year is even more competitive so I’m not counting on getting an interview. I’m quite frankly hoping I’ll even get into one of my safety schools at this point since I’ve heard nothing at all from all the 7 schools I applied to. 

1 hour ago, schizometric said:

Just a quick reminder: There are programs that are just beginning the process of reviewing applications. I imagine some have not begun yet. Practice self-care during this stressful time. Do things you enjoy (to the best of your ability). Flesh out your Plan B. Many of us needed multiple cycles of applications to finally get into programs. I needed 3. Your timeline is your own. Despite how it feels, you are not in competition. Be well and good luck!

I agree with this. I also wanted to say; be KIND to yourself and others in this process. We're going through this in a global pandemic and we are resilient enough to even apply for these programs. Its my first cycle and I cannot stress how obsessive and self-sabotaging I have become and I am sure you guys can relate. I'm just being mindful of my own emotions and praying for the best out of this hell of a situation. Our time will come :) 

I've also been considering back-ups. Since I already have my MA and already plan on getting licensed, the only thing I am uncertain about is continuing research. How do I continuing working in research labs, when I'm no longer affiliated with an institution? Do I need to reach back out to professors at my previous schools?

Edited by illuminatingvisage

31 minutes ago, illuminatingvisage said:

I've always been considering back-ups. Since I already have my MA and already plan on getting licensed, the only thing I am uncertain about is continuing research. How do I continuing working in research labs, when I'm no longer affiliated with an institution? Do I need to reach back out to professors at my previous schools?

Yes! Maintain your relationships with your professors, try to find funded/paid research positions (even if part time). I found my current full-time research position through one of my MS professors that I kept in touch with. So, it doesn't even have to be work in their lab necessarily, but they have connections to other research centers. 

Just now, plantgirl96 said:

Do yall think this is gna be a big week to hear back from schools? ?

I hope so, I'm holding my breath waiting to hear back from my last two programs, one of which is my top choice. Even if it's a rejection, I'm just ready to have an answer! 

This may not be the best forum to ask this as I'm considering applying to clinical/counseling PhD/PsyD programs for Fall 2022 enrollment, but I'm very curious to hear thoughts on whether ya'll think the GRE will be back as a requirement for applications due December 2021? I haven't taken it yet and honestly it's my biggest application barrier, I would like to avoid it if at all possible. Did anyone come across programs that they know don't require it/will be keeping it optional and not required? I have been checking out program websites but understandably none have updated their information and still refer to 2021 enrollment.

Good luck to all you waiting to hear back and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

4 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

Do yall think this is gna be a big week to hear back from schools? ?

Last week was a big week and this week too will be a big week. 

I do not think the PsyD programs will reach out until last week of January or first week of February. 

Just now, RebeccaPsych said:

Any word from Fordham? I know their mass email said interviews should be sent out by tomorrow ?

I was just wondering that. I have not seen many interviews sent out on here, so I am assuming tomorrow will be there official day as today is MLK. 

1 minute ago, goodgrief said:

This may not be the best forum to ask this as I'm considering applying to clinical/counseling PhD/PsyD programs for Fall 2022 enrollment, but I'm very curious to hear thoughts on whether ya'll think the GRE will be back as a requirement for applications due December 2021? I haven't taken it yet and honestly it's my biggest application barrier, I would like to avoid it if at all possible. Did anyone come across programs that they know don't require it/will be keeping it optional and not required? I have been checking out program websites but understandably none have updated their information and still refer to 2021 enrollment.

Good luck to all you waiting to hear back and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I believe some programs (PsyD programs) will request the GRE, but many of the PhD programs will not require the GRE. These programs were trying to get rid of the GRE for some time, and now was the perfect reason to do so. They will not revert their ways once they see the success of the class of 2021.

10 minutes ago, goodgrief said:

This has been asked multiple times here and its worth making a thread for this--it's all speculation at this point as its early on and we are not faculty but I am curious to see what folks think/end up doing. It'd be interesting to track on its own thread. 

13 minutes ago, goodgrief said:

So am I! So far, I know that UF & Stony Brook are not requiring it for applications due December 2021. I’m hoping this cycle gave programs the push they needed to get rid of it completely. I know they can find qualified students without using the GRE. (Prayers for me because I scored horribly on it and it would definitely be a negative on my otherwise relatively strong application. But then again... admissions is a gamble!). 

Edited by PsychApplicant2

Hey all, 

I see people posting that their PI got back to their emails inquiring about interview invites. I would like to do this for one school as I want to know whether I should put in efforts for a certain scholarship I need to apply to. I am not really sure what to write as I don't want to sound annoying. 

"Hello Dr. X, 

I hope you are doing well and had a restful winter break. 

I was writing to inquire if all your interview invites for the Fall 2021 Clinical-Community Program have been extended.

Thank you so much, 
(My Name)" 

Is this much okay or should I add something?  I would appreciate the guidance bc I really don't have energy anymore to write a scholarship application which will go to waste loll. 

1 minute ago, tryingtostaypositive said:

Hey all, 

I see people posting that their PI got back to their emails inquiring about interview invites. I would like to do this for one school as I want to know whether I should put in efforts for a certain scholarship I need to apply to. I am not really sure what to write as I don't want to sound annoying. 

"Hello Dr. X, 

I hope you are doing well and had a restful winter break. 

I was writing to inquire if all your interview invites for the Fall 2021 Clinical-Community Program have been extended.

Thank you so much, 
(My Name)" 

Is this much okay or should I add something?  I would appreciate the guidance bc I really don't have energy anymore to write a scholarship application which will go to waste loll. 

You could add "I remain very interested in the program and the scholarship opportunities that are available. I was writing to inquire..."

Can anyone provide any advice for group virtual interviews? The DCT at one of the schools I am applying to has a 30-minute group virtual interview, which is something I would expect in an MA program but not a PhD, so I have no idea what sort of questions will be asked or what there will even be time for! 30 minutes goes by quick even just 1:1.

1 hour ago, illuminatingvisage said:

I've also been considering back-ups. Since I already have my MA and already plan on getting licensed, the only thing I am uncertain about is continuing research. How do I continuing working in research labs, when I'm no longer affiliated with an institution? Do I need to reach back out to professors at my previous schools?

You can definitely reach out to professors you know about continuing research, but there are lots of job opportunities in research as well. Check websites of local research institutions and even LinkedIn for full-time and part-time research positions. I was able to find one outside of my undergraduate institution very quickly after graduating. Good luck!

1 hour ago, illuminatingvisage said:

You can reach out to professors from previous schools and see if they are hiring RAs or would be willing to let you volunteer in an RA position. I'm graduated with my MA and still working on research (unpaid) with the university I did my MA at. Another option is looking for paid positions being advertised by universities or companies. If you have linkedin, that would be a good place to start. I found a few research job postings through there.

13 minutes ago, Gavindorf said:

Can anyone provide any advice for group virtual interviews? The DCT at one of the schools I am applying to has a 30-minute group virtual interview, which is something I would expect in an MA program but not a PhD, so I have no idea what sort of questions will be asked or what there will even be time for! 30 minutes goes by quick even just 1:1.

When I was applying for MA programs in 2019 one of them had interviews and it was comprised of both a group and an individual interview. While I cannot necessarily give tips for anything that might change due to the virtual nature, I remember during the group interview it was an opportunity to ask questions about the program. In addition to that, the program I was applying to emphasized culture and diversity, so we had a group discussion about what that means and why it is important in clinical psych. If you encounter an interview like this, my one tip would be to speak up and provide a response or ask a question if there's no group discussion like that. That's one way to make sure you stand out and that they notice you during the group interview. 

14 minutes ago, Gavindorf said:

My advice would be to keep your answers as short as possible - especially if the group interview is only 30 minutes! They can ask follow up questions if they need to, but I think it would be better to be overly succinct than perceived as dominating the conversation. You can always ask, "Should I elaborate on that?" if you're unsure whether or not you should keep going.

If you have a habit of comparing yourself to others and psyching yourself out, you can mute the volume when other applicants are talking and/or offer to answer first. However, a well-placed "I think so-and-so had a really great answer, and I would like to add..." can make you seem collaborative, which is important. 

When asking questions, make sure to ask open-ended questions - stay away from "Do you like living in ____?" and replace that with, "What are the challenges and benefits to living in ____?"

Lastly, humility is important. If you don't know, don't make something up. If you learned something new from another applicant when they answered, that's okay too. You don't have to know everything, and one of the biggest issues in psych is that professionals act out of their scope/lean too much into being the "expert" in the room. Openly acknowledging your current limits is a professional skill. 

I applied to M.Ed Counselling programs in four schools this year and one of them has an interview as the admission process. This will be my first grad school interview in my life if I get invited. I would love to hear some advice for this. 

I would really appreciate if anyone could share some examples of possible interview questions too. (the school I might be having interview is Penn State University)

4 hours ago, illuminatingvisage said:

I graduated from my masters in 2018 and I ended up staying involved in the lab that I worked in during my masters. I have built a strong relationship with the PI (I would apply to that institutions PhD program if it wasn’t one of the most competitive I know and basically almost impossible to get in, not being self deprecating just realistic lol, plus my PI isn’t taking on any grad students this year..) anyways, it’s an unpaid position which is ok for me atm, since I am like you working towards my liscence. I’m currently working on 2 publications and doing an independent project so it’s been amazing to still be able to be involved in research this way. I would absolutely reach out to previous professors since it might be helpful that you already have that connection. Perhaps even labs you previously worked in. You could technically apply to other labs but I’m sure that’s a bit more difficult. It will of course be even more difficult if you are looking for paid research positions. 

2 hours ago, Jumbo3 said:

I applied to M.Ed Counselling programs in four schools this year and one of them has an interview as the admission process. This will be my first grad school interview in my life if I get invited. I would love to hear some advice for this. 

I would really appreciate if anyone could share some examples of possible interview questions too. (the school I might be having interview is Penn State University)

There are really great sample questions in the book “Insiders Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology”, and there are also some great articles on the internet with questions you may receive and questions to ask. Here is one:

https://sites.education.uky.edu/motivation/files/2013/09/prinstein-how-to-interview-for-grad-school.pdf

Edited by clinical_sike