Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, ResilientQueen said:

Has anyone gotten an interview this cycle with an average stat in some area (i.e lowish GPA but good research experience?). I know the programs said they will look at us holistically, but self doubt is definitely creeping in. It would be great if someone can affirm they received an interview/interviews and aren’t an absolute superstar in every area ?

Yes. I have a lowish gpa, not-stellar GRE scores, but strengths in other areas. I think that everyone is looking for something slightly different and there's really no perfect formula. Some departments/profs may value GPA more highly and some may place more of an emphasis on research experience. Hang in there! It's still January. :) 

2 hours ago, psychgirl13 said:

Hello! If anyone has heard from the University of South Carolina, is there a formal interview date?

I haven't heard anything and I applied as well! I haven't even seen any official interviews posted anywhere (here, reddit, etc.) so I'm not sure if they did it sneakily or just really late to the party? 

Hope it's the latter!

17 hours ago, seahorse_671 said:

Anyone have any thoughts about the importance of answering a phone call from a possible POI/school vs letting it go to voicemail and calling back? Do we think faculty mind us letting it go to voicemail or there would be a chance they won't leave one if we don't answer? Probably relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but wanted to see what others think.

I think this is a good question, and it is important to consider. I will never answer the phone to a faculty member because I would want time to prepare for any questions they might throw on you. Sometimes they call and do a mini phone interview right then and there. It is totally fine to have them leave a voicemail and you call back ASAP. Just make sure your voicemail message is appropriate (i.e. not something you set in 6th grade) and that your VM box is not full. 

45 minutes ago, soobak said:

I haven't heard anything and I applied as well! I haven't even seen any official interviews posted anywhere (here, reddit, etc.) so I'm not sure if they did it sneakily or just really late to the party? 

Hope it's the latter!

Thank you! I saw a few on the results page with interviews on a specific date coming up, so I wasn't sure if those were interviews for a specific PI or an official day organized by the school...either way, will try to be patient.

Hi to the person who posted about a rejection from UW-Madison because MK didn’t have the funding for a student, did MK personally email you about the situation or did you get a formal rejection? I haven’t heard either way but indicated them as a secondary POI. I’m sorry this happened, btw. Best of luck to you otherwise! 

32 minutes ago, baldpotter said:

Seeking updates on Loyola Chicago (Counseling) & UH Manoa (Clinical)

it appears UT Austin (Counseling) is yet to do anything and this thread has pretty throughly covered it

I’m still waiting on UH Manoa and UT Austin. 

The CUDCP timeline has listed today as the interview notification deadline for UNC Chapel Hill. I haven't heard anything from UNC, or from my POI: MH. I haven't heard anything in terms of an informal interview or a formal interview. I'm hoping that someone may be able to note if they've received any word or have any info! Thank you so much - best wishes to everyone!

2 minutes ago, bubbles27 said:

The CUDCP timeline has listed today as the interview notification deadline for UNC Chapel Hill. I haven't heard anything from UNC, or from my POI: MH. I haven't heard anything in terms of an informal interview or a formal interview. I'm hoping that someone may be able to note if they've received any word or have any info! Thank you so much - best wishes to everyone!

Apologies for the weird formatting - not sure how that happened! 

There has been some discussion about determining Plan B after this cycle. Options include post-bac research positions, clinical work, and master's programs. There are MANY master's programs in psychology, either clinical or general/experimental/research, that provide funding and offer really good training to help build experience before applying to doctoral programs.  This is not an exhaustive list, but a good start, and may help you think about and identify similar programs at schools near you. So many of you have great experience and would be very competitive at many of these schools, particularly the research-based ones, as they tend to get much fewer applications than clinical programs.

Middle Tennessee State - Clinical

University of Tennessee - Chattanooga - research

University of Memphis - research

Missouri State University - clinical

Cleveland State University - clinical

University of Dayton- clinical

Western Kentucky University - Psychological Science research

Murray State University - clinical and research

Morehead State University - clinical

University of Kentucky - counseling MA - specifically for those interested in pursuing Counseling PhD

Eastern Illinois University - clinical

Illinois State university - clinical

Southern Illinois University - Edwardsville - clinical

Ball State University - clinical

Eastern Michigan University - clinical

Western Carolina University - clinical

University of South Carolina - Aiken - clinical

Catholic University - research

Wake Forest - research

College of William and Mary - research

Villanova - research

UMASS - Dartmouth - clinical and general

Northwestern Feinberg - clinical research (1-year master's)

Fordham - clinical research methods

3 hours ago, ResilientQueen said:

Has anyone gotten an interview this cycle with an average stat in some area (i.e lowish GPA but good research experience?). I know the programs said they will look at us holistically, but self doubt is definitely creeping in. It would be great if someone can affirm they received an interview/interviews and aren’t an absolute superstar in every area ?

I guess I kind of do (compared to the extremely qualified applicants on the forum). My GPA on the transcript of my first academic institution was 2.62,  primarily because I was struggling with addiction and poor mental health. I stayed at this institution for one year, then I got and stayed sober and went back to school at another university (small/not well known liberal arts college) for the final 3 years. During the final 3 years of college, I maintained a 4.0 GPA. However, my cumulative GPA has suffered due to my first year, bringing me down to a 3.6. Because of this experience, I was also late to develop research experience. So by the time I graduate, I will have had less than 1.5 years of research experience. I used to think this was a lot of research experience, but I now realize that is not. To my credit, there were minimal psychology faculty conducting research at my institution. I applied to 9 Ph.D. programs and only got an interview at one, which I feel extremely fortunate to have achieved.

On another note, I did not submit my GRE scores. I know some schools eliminated it and others made it optional, but I have a feeling that those who submit their GRE scores anyway (aka those who scored in the 70-80+ percentile) might have a huge advantage over those who did not submit at all. Even if the program says that this will not hurt an applicant, it will certainly benefit the ones who submitted scores anyway.

I have caved in and began reaching out to admissions. Here's what I received from University of Notre Dame: "First, it’s important for me to note that our interview event is different from most in that we admit students beforehand, so it’s better considered a recruitment than a standard interview event. 

That said, invitations have not yet been sent; our first round of invitations will be sent late next week.  However, all of our first-round applicants have been contacted for a pre-invitation interview. Thus, if you have not been contacted, you may still be on our waitlist but, of course, the probability that you will be invited is notably lower. "

Not looking positive in my favor, but it's better than not knowing.

4 minutes ago, PsychBear92 said:

Also, I heard from University of Denver Clinical Psych PhD. DCT said official interviews haven't gone out, but assumes they will next week.

Thank you for sharing!! I've been wondering about this!

3 hours ago, PyschMama said:

I truly hope so too.. I really wish they would get rid of it entirely. It's such a useless indicator of your success as a grad student.. researcher and clinician. It's also biased and flawed and elitist on top of that.

I agree. I consider myself a competitive applicant, however, I was set up to fail the GRE. I struggled with addiction in high school, which meant that I also struggled with my education during these years. Basically, I did not fully comprehend the core information presented on the GRE since it is primarily based on high school math and [kind of] english. I was psychologically unwell/not present during the time that these lessons are taught. I do not believe GRE is an adequate predictor of intelligence or success in graduate school, considering how well I have succeeded in undergraduate studies.

Edited by clinical_sike

Has anyone else found that their work motivation has taken a serious plunge during this process? I can't tell if the two are directly connected or not, but since all the anxiety of rejections and waiting to hear back really hit, I've been so much less driven in my RA job. Part of it is I think general WFH exhaustion and because I'm in a lab where I'm constantly overworked, especially the past few months (part of why I'm stressed about alternative options if I'm rejected everywhere- my brain cannot feasibly stand another year at this lab), but the waiting game certainly does not make dealing with that any easier ?

7 minutes ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

Has anyone else found that their work motivation has taken a serious plunge during this process? I can't tell if the two are directly connected or not, but since all the anxiety of rejections and waiting to hear back really hit, I've been so much less driven in my RA job. Part of it is I think general WFH exhaustion and because I'm in a lab where I'm constantly overworked, especially the past few months (part of why I'm stressed about alternative options if I'm rejected everywhere- my brain cannot feasibly stand another year at this lab), but the waiting game certainly does not make dealing with that any easier ?

I definitely feel this. It hasn't been a good cycle for me, and the thought of having to repeat this again is so disheartening. I've been WFH too, and have likewise had my own frustrations with how things have been going in my lab (to the point I'm looking at alternatives). This year is going to be such a drag. ?