Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

34 minutes ago, YONO said:

Ugh I just updated most of my schools to rejected / presumed rejected because 1) I'm being a pessimistic lil biotch, and 2) they probably are rejections at this point! 

I applied 2 years ago and got interviews at 2 top-30 programs and now I can't get any interviews and my CV is way better??? 

I guess I will just never be a psychologist and will have to start a commune somewhere in the caribbean where we subside off the land just get drunk on the beach every day. Let me know if you want to join!

I would love to join, I'll bring the tequila ?

But real talk, I'm sorry you are feeling dejected and I totally understand. This process is soul-sucking. 

2 hours ago, K3lD1Psych said:

There are many possible scenarios. Honestly I was more concerned about my PI being okay than anything. I've been severely sick before and the last thing I could spend my limited energy on was a letter.
My last min letter writer ended up working out and can say lots of things and say it well, given my research and clinical experience with them. Of course there is always that uncertainty we can't help but feel when it is a nonacademic writer. Wishing you the best of luck.  :D  I am sorry you're dealing with a similar circumstance.

Yes, definitely and because of COVID I though potentially they were sick. But turns out they were fine as I found out accidentally through someone we ended up knowing mutually. That's excellent that yours ended up working out so well! And good luck to you as well :) 

Anyone on here get an e-mail that they were waitlisted for UVA's clinical/school psych program? I've read about some schools sending out waitlist e-mails that really just stand in as a rejection so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there is a legit waitlist. I'm a little skeptical considering I didn't even interview (unless it's a waitlist for an interview ?)

Thanks!

Edited by seahorse_671

Applying to these graduate programs has been an eye-opening experience. It seems that the training of future psychologists is governed by the narrow needs and interests of a few faculty members, rather than the pressing mental health needs of the communities. So many dedicated people, eager to devote their lives to clinical psychology, are not able to gain access to the profession because entrance is so tightly regulated. If medical school admissions were run this way, there would be almost no physicians. I think the APA should reconsider the academic model for training and licensing of clinical psychologists, for this system fails to serve interests of future practitioners and patients alike.

6 minutes ago, texaspsych21 said:

Applying to these graduate programs has been an eye-opening experience. It seems that the training of future psychologists is governed by the narrow needs and interests of a few faculty members, rather than the pressing mental health needs of the communities. So many dedicated people, eager to devote their lives to clinical psychology, are not able to gain access to the profession because entrance is so tightly regulated. If medical school admissions were run this way, there would be almost no physicians. I think the APA should reconsider the academic model for training and licensing of clinical psychologists, for this system fails to serve interests of future practitioners and patients alike.

I couldn't have worded this any better. The current system is not sustainable, and is continually pushing out increasingly qualified people from better serving their communities. For a field that prides itself on inclusion and social support, the astonishing lack of resources is only creating more barriers to care. 

49 minutes ago, texaspsych21 said:

I really, really hope your comment reaches the people who need to see it most. Thank you for so eloquently wording this. Have things only recently gotten this bad, or have they always been this way? Is there anything we could possibly do to address it as a concerned group (e.g. open letter)?

Edited by kch16

1 hour ago, seahorse_671 said:

Anyone on here get an e-mail that they were waitlisted for UVA's clinical/school psych program? I've read about some schools sending out waitlist e-mails that really just stand in as a rejection so I'm wondering if anyone knows whether there is a legit waitlist. I'm a little skeptical considering I didn't even interview (unless it's a waitlist for an interview ?)

Thanks!

I got this email and decision as well and also did not interview with UVA. I'm confused since the interview decisions already came out but maybe it's just a nice rejection. 

8 hours ago, djJazzyJeff said:

Has anyone heard from Southern Illinois clinical?

Hello! Southern Illinois clinical program has not yet sent out invites. The DCT sent out an email on the 6th that they would not be sending out invites for another 2 to 2.5 weeks but I've heard they might be a little later than that. Hope that helps!

Edited by justtryi

Anyone know if WashU/WUSTL sent out their invites formally? I had a prelim interview last week with the PI that I thought went well and she informed me that she'd let applicants know sometime this week but I never heard anything back. Just wanted an idea of whether or not to cross the school off my list. I saw a couple of posters about the school on the results page but I had a different PI than what they listed. Thanks!

15 hours ago, seahorse_671 said:

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Sunkay123 said:

I got this email and decision as well and also did not interview with UVA. I'm confused since the interview decisions already came out but maybe it's just a nice rejection. 

I didn't apply there but it sounds like you were waitlisted for an interview. That happened to me last cycle and again this cycle - basically if someone declines an interview you may have a spot

I am starting to get a little nervous because the interview dates for VCU are January 29th and February 3rd which are approaching quickly and I still have not heard from my mentor. I have been checking the results forum everyday and it does not look like anyone has posted about responses from UK. This is a very stressful time and I hope everyone is doing well!

Question since I’m an anxious mess: If a program already sent out invites, is it safe to assume I got rejected? I don’t wanna keep my hopes up, but I don’t know if it’s PI-specific? If it is, are there interviews later than February? It feels like everything should be finalized right now but I haven’t heard back from any programs :( 

Fourth time clinical psych PhD program applicant here and I ended up with 6 interviews this cycle! The only real difference I could identify this time around is 1 first author publication and a couple years of neuropsych testing experience. I just wanted to say keep on trying if this isn’t your year. Keep seeking out research and clinical opportunities and know that it’s absolutely a numbers game. Best of luck to everyone!

9 hours ago, baldpotter said:

Any details about UT Austin Counseling is appreciated. Seems that right now there is radio silence on all fronts

Someone posted that they received an interview invitation. I'm assuming they aren't done extending invitations yet but we'll see.  

Edited by Happytobehere13

1 hour ago, Happytobehere13 said:

Someone posted that they received an interview invitation. I'm assuming they aren't done extending invitations yet but we'll see.  

Ugh i applied to UT Austin as well...but the person who posted has my PI. Should I assume its a rejection then?

1 hour ago, tan2016 said:

Ugh i applied to UT Austin as well...but the person who posted has my PI. Should I assume its a rejection then?

Was your PI D.S.? I applied under her and R.A. and R.A. was the one who contacted me today (phone) as opposed to an email. It seems notice of an interview invite is going to vary depending on the PI. I’m assuming that they have just started to send out invites and maybe your PI hasn’t extended all invites just yet.

In case anyone’s is freaking out about UCSD-SDSU JDP. I emailed the PI applied to work just this pasf Friday morning. I sent her an updated CV and also kind of wanted to check in on if I was rejected.

She thanked me and she would share my updated CV with the selection committee. I took it mean that not all interviews have yet been extended...

So if you applied to that program I wouldn’t assume rejection yet...

That being said,  did any of you apply to work with RM there and receive an invite? 

Also, has anyone heard from JO at Northwestern Feinberg. I know they haven’t yet extended invites, but still letting my anxiety get the best of me...

Good luck everyone! ?

14 hours ago, artist257 said:

Anyone know if WashU/WUSTL sent out their invites formally? I had a prelim interview last week with the PI that I thought went well and she informed me that she'd let applicants know sometime this week but I never heard anything back. Just wanted an idea of whether or not to cross the school off my list. I saw a couple of posters about the school on the results page but I had a different PI than what they listed. Thanks!

I emailed the department mid last week and Thursday was told decisions are still to be made. They did not give a definitive timeline.

That being I know my POI informally interviewed early January and rejected some of those candidates already - so am she's also extended invites and am assuming rejection myself. In your case, unless the PI has formally told you no I wouldn't assume rejection.

Also, you can always email PI since  passed the window give is passed or if you rather not ask directly you can email the department to confirm if formal invites are all out. The department coordinator got back to me within a day last week. 

Good luck! Crossing my fingers for you. 

Edited by hg92
typo

5 hours ago, reidallen said:

Question since I’m an anxious mess: If a program already sent out invites, is it safe to assume I got rejected? I don’t wanna keep my hopes up, but I don’t know if it’s PI-specific? If it is, are there interviews later than February? It feels like everything should be finalized right now but I haven’t heard back from any programs :( 

Some schools are much more PI specific and send out invites sporadically(no formal timeline). If you see a large batch of formal invitations go at once I think it's safe to assume rejection. That being said if it's only preliminary-zoom invites you have  seen I would not assume anything.

I had a friend hear back late January/early Feb for a very reputable program and be accepted a few years back but other candidate heard back weeks prior.  One year at my previous lab at Cal the PI. added a candidate to the candidate list last minute(everyone else was invited 3 weeks prior). Funny thing is that candidate was only zoom invited while all the others had in person interviews. In the end nobody was accepted, but the zoom invitee made it the furthest into his selection process.

Also, if you’re anxious you can always email the department. I emailed 4 last week and heard back from 3. They were also very nice). Good luck ?

37 minutes ago, hg92 said:

Some schools are much more PI specific and send out invites sporadically(no formal timeline). If you see a large batch of formal invitations go at once I think it's safe to assume rejection. That being said if it's only preliminary-zoom invites you have  seen I would not assume anything.

I had a friend hear back late January/early Feb for a very reputable program and be accepted a few years back but other candidate heard back weeks prior.  One year at my previous lab at Cal the PI. added a candidate to the candidate list last minute(everyone else was invited 3 weeks prior). Funny thing is that candidate was only zoom invited while all the others had in person interviews. In the end nobody was accepted, but the zoom invitee made it the furthest into his selection process.

Also, if you’re anxious you can always email the department. I emailed 4 last week and heard back from 3. They were also very nice). Good luck ?

Would you feel comfortable sharing the PI? Just curious.