PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

13 minutes ago, GHAddict said:

First reject folks - UW PhD in Global Health, Implementation Science. Did anyone hear from them?

Did you receive an email or checked the portal? I haven't heard back from them. My status is still 'submitted'. At this point I'm just assuming I'm rejected with a slight bit of hope...

Edited by xxxxling

6 minutes ago, xxxxling said:

Did you receive an email or checked the portal? I haven't heard back from them. My status is still 'submitted'. At this point I'm just assuming I'm rejected with a slight bit of hope...

It was via email. They asked me to consider another program in the University.

2 minutes ago, CatMeow1234 said:

Aw, I am so sorry to hear this, GHAddict! ? I hope that you will hear back soon with acceptances!! 

Thanks a lot. Appreciated. :)

Edited by GHAddict

7 minutes ago, Epi_researchjunkie said:

Does anyone know if Harvard pop health sent out all interview invitations? Also, has anyone heard from BU? 

I don’t know if they have sent out ALL of the interview invites yet, because it may vary by department. But they reached out to me ~8 days ago and I had an interview with them this week. As for BU, I saw that one person got a rejection, but I haven’t seen anyone else get any info back from BU.

Happy Friday everyone! I have 2 quick updates.

I was interviewed for the PHS PhD program at Harvard last week. I had overwhelmingly positive interactions and needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting an update on the status of my application. 

Also, Emory has interviews planned for the first week of February. 

Love reading all the uplifting notes, too! Stay hopeful and best of luck ? 

7 minutes ago, EHEPI_PHD21 said:

Happy Friday everyone! I have 2 quick updates.

I was interviewed for the PHS PhD program at Harvard last week. I had overwhelmingly positive interactions and needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting an update on the status of my application. 

Also, Emory has interviews planned for the first week of February. 

Love reading all the uplifting notes, too! Stay hopeful and best of luck ? 

Best of luck with Harvard! Wonderful to hear about your positive experience. 

Do you know if all interview invites for Emory have been sent? I applied to BSHE but I would assume interviews for all programs would be happening around the same time.

In addition to all the amazing interview advice that posters have already given, I wanted to add a few potential curveball questions that I've seen online:

1. Why are you applying now? Why not take a few years and get more work experience? Conversely, if you already have significant work experience, what would a PhD offer you that work experience can't?

2. How did you arrive at your proposed research questions? Whose input and mentorship did you seek and why?

3. Describe a time you experienced a setback, academically or personally.

4. How do you perform in an unstructured environment? What guidance will you need to make sure you can finish your dissertation?

5 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

Do you know if all interview invites for Emory have been sent? I applied to BSHE but I would assume interviews for all programs would be happening around the same time.

So, through the grapevine I have heard EPI has not sent out any invites yet... I think it is reasonable to assume BSHE hasn't either. 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:18 PM, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Hi everyone!!

Has anyone applied to or heard back from USC's Health Behavior Research program for F'21? 

Hi there! I applied to USC’s PhD in Epi. Haven’t heard back from them yet ?

44 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

Hi there! I have an interview for BU's HSR program next week, but I can't speak to other programs.

When did you receive the interview invite? I have applied to BU HSR but haven't heard any update yet.

1 hour ago, srp10215 said:

In addition to all the amazing interview advice that posters have already given, I wanted to add a few potential curveball questions that I've seen online:

1. Why are you applying now? Why not take a few years and get more work experience? Conversely, if you already have significant work experience, what would a PhD offer you that work experience can't?

2. How did you arrive at your proposed research questions? Whose input and mentorship did you seek and why?

3. Describe a time you experienced a setback, academically or personally.

4. How do you perform in an unstructured environment? What guidance will you need to make sure you can finish your dissertation?

Thank you so much for this helpful list, srp10215! I would upvote you but my upvote function was shut off by GradCafe for the rest of the day (probably a sign I need to log off and stop obsessing over apps/interviews LOL).  I really appreciate all of the advice given by everyone! 

4 minutes ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Hopefully we'll hear back sometime next week. ? Keeping my fingers crossed - the waiting game is anxiety-inducing! 

Good luck to us. I’m playing the waiting game since March 2019 ??‍♀️ 

First I applied to the MS in Applied Biostats and Epi... got a letter saying that it’s better for me to apply to the PhD program. Kind of worries about my undergrad GPA it is 3.2 I also have an MPH (GPA is 3.7) .... both from abroad. No publications. Didn’t take the GRE. 

Can i ask about your stats?))

52 minutes ago, Taguhis said:

Good luck to us. I’m playing the waiting game since March 2019 ??‍♀️ 

First I applied to the MS in Applied Biostats and Epi... got a letter saying that it’s better for me to apply to the PhD program. Kind of worries about my undergrad GPA it is 3.2 I also have an MPH (GPA is 3.7) .... both from abroad. No publications. Didn’t take the GRE. 

Can i ask about your stats?))

I hope you get some (positive) answers soon! I have a 3.2 undergrad GPA too, 4.0 Master's GPA. I took the GRE and scored 156v/155q/5.0analytical writing. Also worried about my undergrad GPA as well, but hopefully they see the improvement in our GPA's over time. ? Trying to remain optimistic!

1 minute ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

I hope you get some (positive) answers soon! I have a 3.2 undergrad GPA too, 4.0 Master's GPA. I took the GRE and scored 156v/155q/5.0analytical writing. Also worried about my undergrad GPA as well, but hopefully they see the improvement in our GPA's over time. ? Trying to remain optimistic!

Great stats! I talked with a current biostats student earlier. They were silent till Feb 21st ?

7 hours ago, GHAddict said:

It was via email. They asked me to consider another program in the University.

Thanks a lot. Appreciated. :)

I think I am in a similar situation to yours.
I got rejection from UW but was recommended their other program... It's a difficult decision for me.
I hope both of us can adequately make the best choice for us!