PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

1 hour ago, PHPhDApplicant said:

Updating in case helpful for others that I've  heard back on interviews from Emory's BSHE program -- the email said they are conducting interviews and other info session type events from Feb 3rd - 9th 

Thanks for the update and congrats to those with emory interviews! Waiting anxiously to hear back from the Emory Epi Department and wondering if our visit days are the same. 

7 hours ago, hsr21_ said:

Did anyone hear news from Emory, Harvard, UNC, UCLA, UMN, BU in health policy or health service research? 

I just received an interview invite for Harvard (Population Health Sciences - Global Health and Population). I also applied to UNC Health Policy and Management but haven’t heard anything yet.

Accepted to the University of Pittsburgh PhD degree program in Epidemiology! I'll include my stats below. Does anyone when we find out about funding?

Currently finishing my MPH (Epidemiology & Biostatistics track)

Undergrad GPA - 3.66

MPH GPA - 3.99

3 published articles, 1 first author. One cited by the CDC

1 poster presentation at a large, annual infectious disease conference

4 years of research experience in undergrad, internship at state department of health, currently working as a full-time project coordinator for a federally funded research program. 

LOR from chair of public health sciences at my institution (my advisor), associate director of the MPH program, epidemiologist (a coauthor), vice chair of research (boss).

1 hour ago, publichealthPhD said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard Global Health & Population (population & family health) or Yale Social Behavioral Sciences?

I applied to Harvard PHS Global Health and haven't heard anything. It seems like that track tends to be behind others (like Epi, SBS) when it comes to sending out invites. Don't lose hope yet!

1 hour ago, HealthPolicy21 said:

I just received an interview invite for Harvard (Population Health Sciences - Global Health and Population). I also applied to UNC Health Policy and Management but haven’t heard anything yet.

Congratulations on the interview! Did you receive the interview invite e-mail today for Harvard Pop Health?

1 hour ago, researchlover11 said:

I am not sure if it is worse to get rejected without an interview or to get rejected after an interview?

As someone who just got rejected after an interview, I can assure you it sucks the most ??

Not even waitlisted, straight out rejected ?

1 hour ago, researchlover11 said:

I am not sure if it is worse to get rejected without an interview or to get rejected after an interview?

Feeling this. Had an interview last week and currently waiting to see if I've been selected to advance to the second round of interviews. I'd be pretty shattered if I got rejected at this stage. Anxiety is through the roof!

As of now, I'm out at Penn, Pitt, and Emory. All PhDs. 

Still no invites for interviews. Now I'm convinced I'm never getting out of my dead end job or advancing in the world. 

Still waiting for: 

DrPH: BUSPH, Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, GW, Penn State

PhD: Brown, Northeastern, UMass, UMd, UNC, Tulane, Temple, Drexel, Rutgers 

My brother died by suicide at 32 years old Nov 16. I have to try and pick up the pieces. This whole thing is a mess. I regret even trying. 

Edited by ♀HealthMatters
Added outstanding schools

13 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still no invites for interviews. Now I'm convinced I'm never getting out of my dead end job or advancing in the world. 

Still waiting for: 

My brother died by suicide at 32 years old Nov 16. I have to try and pick up the pieces. This whole thing is a mess. I regret even trying. 

Hey HealthMatters, I'm so so sorry to hear about your brother. That is devastating and I can't imagine how much pain you've fought through in the past months, and are still fighting through. Please know you are incredibly strong to have even picked yourself up from that traumatic loss and apply for these programs! And no matter the final outcome they are absolutely not a reflection of your ability! You are of great value to the world and I know you are going to eventually find a way out of the job you dislike and make a difference - because even in the midst of perhaps the greatest crisis in your life you are still resilient and committed enough to public health to actively work towards advancing it + striving to further your expertise with a PhD/DrPH. That is incredible and inspiring, and that is why I know someone like you will excel regardless of whether you get into a program this year or the next. I know you will make it. I cannot offer much besides a listening ear/someone to stress out with about results, but please reach out if you feel like it. If this year doesn't work out and you'd like a fresh pair of eyes to review your applications for the next, I'm happy to help with that too (in my limited ability as a fellow applicant). 

You got this! Please don't give up! Sending love. 

49 minutes ago, drunkenduck said:

As someone who just got rejected after an interview, I can assure you it sucks the most ??

Not even waitlisted, straight out rejected ?

Aw man!! I’m sorry drunkenduck. I’m so glad you’ve got a W in your column though with Houston! 

35 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

I’m really sorry about your brother. The aftermath of suicide is a devastating place to be, and I wish you and your family peace as you process your loss.

It is incredible that you applied to PhD programs in the wake of such a tragedy. I don’t think I could have done that. I am in awe of your fortitude.

39 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

Hang in there! It is not over yet. Even this application cycle is over, we always have another round. Sorry about what happened to your brother, that must be extremely tough. 

42 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

I’m so very sorry for your loss, HealthMatters. I can’t even imagine. So proud of you for sticking with your dreams despite such a big loss. I hope the tide turns for your applications and you hear something soon! No matter what, please don’t give up. 

55 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

Hi! I also applied to the DrPH program at Penn State College of Medicine. 

I can tell you that currently, all applications are being reviewed! They did have an uptick in applications this year (as did almost all programs). I'd say expect to hear sometime during mid to late Feb. You are still in the running!

Keep your head up. This process is grueling and emotionally exhausting, but it all works out in the end!

Edited by nervousphd2021

53 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

Echoing others to say I'm so sorry for your loss. There are no good words to say to make anything better but I hope you know (and have seen from the many posts) that you have a community here! Sending all the good vibes your way for some good PhD/DrPH news soon.

22 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Aw man!! I’m sorry drunkenduck. I’m so glad you’ve got a W in your column though with Houston! 

Thanks, MCH! Still nothing from USF, I'm starting to think they forgot about me?

1 hour ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

Hi.. so sorry for your loss. This process is grilling in itself and you are already going through a lot. Please don't give up. Sending good wishes your way. 

4 hours ago, HealthPolicy21 said:

Congrats on the interview invite! Out of curiosity - did you apply to the Health Systems or Population and Family Health track? 

2 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't say anything better than what other people have responded to comfort you. I have the same feeling of stuck in the dead end job and I have been miserable for the past year because of my current job. I can't imagine how hard it has been for you with the job and your brother...I haven't heard back from any of my applications either. However, I believe that eventually we will find a way out. Hang in there!