PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

10 minutes ago, EH2021 said:

Hi! I interviewed with the PHS EH track a couple of weeks ago and they said they should be sending out decisions within the next week or so. It was VERY unclear as to whether or not an interview was required for admission so if you haven't heard anything I wouldn't worry just yet! 

Congrats on the interview! What makes you think it was unclear about whether or not an interview was mandatory for admission? Did you ask them or anything? Just curious because I'm lowkey bummed as I applied to PHS Epi and haven't heard anything.

2 minutes ago, PatelXX said:

Hi, That's good to know. Best wishes for your outcome. Was it conducted by POI or admission committee member? 

Have you had informal chat/meeting with your POI before application?

Thank you, you too! I had a zoom call with my POI sometime in November. I interviewed with another faculty in the department, but my POI let me know that the professor interviewing me could potentially be a co-mentor. 

1 minute ago, DarkPassenger said:

Congrats on the interview! What makes you think it was unclear about whether or not an interview was mandatory for admission? Did you ask them or anything? Just curious because I'm lowkey bummed as I applied to PHS Epi and haven't heard anything.

Thank you! I didn't ask much about it, but they made the point that a request for an interview was not an indication of admission. Also the PHS website suggests that interviews are not a mandatory part of the process, but I of course have almost no insights into the admission process... Best of luck to you, I hope you get good news from the program soon!

2 minutes ago, EH2021 said:

Thank you! I didn't ask much about it, but they made the point that a request for an interview was not an indication of admission. Also the PHS website suggests that interviews are not a mandatory part of the process, but I of course have almost no insights into the admission process... Best of luck to you, I hope you get good news from the program soon!

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated and good luck to you as well!

1 hour ago, EH2021 said:

Hi! I interviewed with the PHS EH track a couple of weeks ago and they said they should be sending out decisions within the next week or so. It was VERY unclear as to whether or not an interview was required for admission so if you haven't heard anything I wouldn't worry just yet! 

Thanks for letting me know! Also congrats on the interview ☺️

On 1/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, ♀HealthMatters said:

As of now, I'm out at Penn, Pitt, and Emory. All PhDs. 

Still no invites for interviews. Now I'm convinced I'm never getting out of my dead end job or advancing in the world. 

Still waiting for: 

DrPH: BUSPH, Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, GW, Penn State

PhD: Brown, Northeastern, UMass, UMd, UNC, Tulane, Temple, Drexel, Rutgers 

My brother died by suicide at 32 years old Nov 16. I have to try and pick up the pieces. This whole thing is a mess. I regret even trying. 

I'm so sorry for your loss HealthMatters... I know nothing will replace the loss you are experiencing. I just want to let you know that I wholly admire your tenacity and determination for still applying for doctorate programs while going through this. I am going to stop whining about how stressful this whole application process has been for me... I don't deserve it! 

I truly hope you hear good news soon... Sending you positive energy. ?

1 hour ago, srp10215 said:

Has anyone heard from Hopkins re: the PhD program in HPM, specifically the Health and Public Policy concentration? 

I applied to the DrPH in this program in the policy track and haven't heard (though I am sort of an unconventional candidate as I don't have an MPH). it looks like announcements were March in previous years without interviews. Not sure about the traditional PhD if that's what you're referencing though!

3 minutes ago, Ajrw said:

I applied to the DrPH in this program in the policy track and haven't heard (though I am sort of an unconventional candidate as I don't have an MPH). it looks like announcements were March in previous years without interviews. Not sure about the traditional PhD if that's what you're referencing though!

I interviewed for the PhD in HPM in early Jan. I was told decisions will be sent out in late jan/early feb

2 minutes ago, Ajrw said:

Thank you! I did apply to the PhD program and I'm not sure if it operates on a different review timeline. Keeping fingers crossed for the both of us!

On 1/20/2021 at 1:09 PM, ♀HealthMatters said:

As of now, I'm out at Penn, Pitt, and Emory. All PhDs. 

Still no invites for interviews. Now I'm convinced I'm never getting out of my dead end job or advancing in the world. 

Still waiting for: 

DrPH: BUSPH, Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, GW, Penn State

PhD: Brown, Northeastern, UMass, UMd, UNC, Tulane, Temple, Drexel, Rutgers 

My brother died by suicide at 32 years old Nov 16. I have to try and pick up the pieces. This whole thing is a mess. I regret even trying. 

So sorry for your lost @HealthMatters :( Can't even imagine how hard this must be for you. Praying that you hear some good news soon!

50 minutes ago, ChiccaChica said:

Has anyone heard from the Hopkins Population, Family, and Reproductive Health PhD or the Harvard GHP - Population and Family Health track PhD?

Hey ChiccaChica. I’ll be interviewing for the JHU program in PFRH. Interview week is from Feb 8th - 12th. I don’t know if they’re done sending out interview invites though. 

I wish all of you best luck and I express my sincere respect for all the applicants, who must have experienced huge hardship during the last year. None of us could have been exempted from the pandemic.

I'm a potential international applicant, planning to apply for the PhD program in health economics with a focus in global health in a few years.

I graduated a top university in my country(BA in Sociology) and now working as a foreign service officer but it was my oldest dream to pursue a PhD degree and begin a research career. 

In terms of anything related to public health in my life, my senior thesis was about health of elderly working population; I'm now also attending a distance learning MSc statistics in my country(which is not that rigorous though).

If you were in my shoes, would you first try getting master's degree in the US?

I'm seriously considering doing MPH or SM or MHS, etc. in the US before applying to the PhD program but you could easily it would be very expensive and time-consuming, especially taking into account that I will have approx. 5-year professional experience at the time of application.(Also, I already spent two years for military duty)

Simultaneously, I'm afraid that my application to PhD programs without a relevant master's degree will end up in vain. I might be an interesting applicant but still without relevant experience.

It is my plan to work on my master's thesis with a professor in the related field but I think I'll be able to have one or two domestic publication in maximum(in a very very rosy case:)) during my master's study.

Many thanks for your attention and hope you stay fit and strong throughout this year and forever!