PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

3 hours ago, Waitingispain said:

An update: I have just received an invitation to a second (and final) interview for the Harvard DrPH. Interviews to conclude by the 31st of January. Whew! Both excited and nervous to be so close to the finish line. Anyone else also interviewing with them this week?

Hi, I did the first round couple weeks ago, i am still anxiously waiting...I hope they didn't send out all the invitations yet...

3 hours ago, Rka said:

Sorry to hear about that. Honestly, I am loosing hopes with each passing day. Drexel and WashU have already sent interview invites. So no hopes from there as well. UNC mch already seems to be a very competitive program.

Aw darn. Drexel is my #1 pick ? Are you sure they’ve sent out all their interview invites?

On 1/22/2021 at 11:40 AM, DrPH or Bust said:

Nice list!  I only applied to part-time programs, as I need to keep working: JHU (hybrid), BU, Rutgers (hybrid), UT-Houston.  I have an interview with BU next week.  *fingers crossed*

Can I PM you about your Boston interview? Mine is the 2nd week in February, so I'm definitely interested in hearing how you thought it went and how you're prepping for it.

Did anyone else in here apply to Tulane or GW's DrPH program?

In the general email to students who have applied it says there will be decisions in February for Tulane and March for GW. I'm just very interested if interviews are largely a part of their admissions process for these programs.

For reference, I also applied to Hopkins (super reach), Rutgers, and Boston. Boston I have an interview with (as now mentioned twice previously lol), and I don't anticipate hearing from Rutgers for another month or so since the deadline JUST passed.

------------------------------------

Just to note: Rutgers is currently reviewing applications and after speaking with a faculty member, their cohort will be a similar number to the current one (so roughly 11 students)... Last year with a truncated admissions period, they got about 70something applications... You can BET this year it will be even more competitive.

I say this to say, a rejection doesn't mean you're any less of a candidate or scholar. There's nothing wrong with you as a person. Rejections from highly competitive doctoral programs is not a rejection of your personhood or character. It's simply a numbers game and a matter of fit with whatever cohort/faculty projects a school has going on. Hundreds of applications for 11-25 spots is a gamble. Doesn't mean you're any less capable of doing the work.

If you didn't get in (or don't get in) this application cycle, but your heart of hearts tells you that this is what you were meant to do... Then go back to the drawing board for next year. At least that's what I plan to do should I not get in anywhere.

1 minute ago, IAAJ said:

Did anyone else in here apply to Tulane or GW's DrPH program?

In the general email to students who have applied it says there will be decisions in February for Tulane and March for GW. I'm just very interested if interviews are largely a part of their admissions process for these programs.

For reference, I also applied to Hopkins (super reach), Rutgers, and Boston. Boston I have an interview with (as now mentioned twice previously lol), and I don't anticipate hearing from Rutgers for another month or so since the deadline JUST passed.

------------------------------------

Just to note: Rutgers is currently reviewing applications and after speaking with a faculty member, their cohort will be a similar number to the current one (so roughly 11 students)... Last year with a truncated admissions period, they got about 70something applications... You can BET this year it will be even more competitive.

I say this to say, a rejection doesn't mean you're any less of a candidate or scholar. There's nothing wrong with you as a person. Rejections from highly competitive doctoral programs is not a rejection of your personhood or character. It's simply a numbers game and a matter of fit with whatever cohort/faculty projects a school has going on. Hundreds of applications for 11-25 spots is a gamble. Doesn't mean you're any less capable of doing the work.

If you didn't get in (or don't get in) this application cycle, but your heart of hearts tells you that this is what you were meant to do... Then go back to the drawing board for next year. At least that's what I plan to do should I not get in anywhere.

I applied to GW for the DrPH as well, and like you mentioned, their email stated that they will get back in March. 

Congrats on the BU interview! And best of luck!! I also applied to the BU DrPH program and haven't heard back. I didn't realize they required interviews. When I was researching programs and emailed their program manager, he didn't mention having interviews as part of the admission process so I had no idea it was required! 

On that note, I heard back from 0/8 DrPH programs I've applied to. No news on any fronts. 

2 hours ago, Joel12 said:

Aw darn. Drexel is my #1 pick ? Are you sure they’ve sent out all their interview invites?

Not sure. I saw invites were sent around jan 12. Do they send interview invites in bursts?

Guys, I know this has been briefly discussed before, but does Harvard Population Health Sciences require interviews or not? The wait, lack of transparency, and lack of response from the school about their protocol is frustrating. In their FAQs, it states no interview is required, but in this thread, I've seen multiple individuals receive interviews. Any insight would be much appreciated.

As per their FAQ:

Is the admission based on some entry test and/or interview or is done on the basis of the academic history?

Applications are reviewed on the basis of academic credentials, GPA, GRE, TOEFL, prior research and work experience, statement of purpose, recommendations and a writing sample. No other entry test or interview is required.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/phdphs/admissions-faq/

Edited by DarkPassenger

23 minutes ago, Rka said:

Not sure. I saw invites were sent around jan 12. Do they send interview invites in bursts?

I am not sure if they do bursts, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed for now knowing that other programs do. Do you mind sharing where you saw that invites were sent around Jan 12th? I’ve been keeping an eye out on here, had to make an account once I saw your post ?

I’ll be meeting with a faculty member tomorrow, will check back in if I hear anything new that I am able to share! 

24 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Guys, I know this has been briefly discussed before, but does Harvard Population Health Sciences require interviews or not? The wait, lack of transparency, and lack of response from the school about their protocol is frustrating. In their FAQs, it states no interview is required, but in this thread, I've seen multiple individuals receive interviews. Any insight would be much appreciated.

As per their FAQ:

Is the admission based on some entry test and/or interview or is done on the basis of the academic history?

Applications are reviewed on the basis of academic credentials, GPA, GRE, TOEFL, prior research and work experience, statement of purpose, recommendations and a writing sample. No other entry test or interview is required.

I think it may differ by department? I also see that no interview is required in PHS's FAQ, but in the Epi department's FAQ it says that "Not for the masters programs, but there are phone and Skype interviews for top ranked PhD applicants."

2 minutes ago, Joel12 said:

I am not sure if they do bursts, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed for now knowing that other programs do. Do you mind sharing where you saw that invites were sent around Jan 12th? I’ve been keeping an eye out on here, had to make an account once I saw your post ?

I’ll be meeting with a faculty member tomorrow, will check back in if I hear anything new that I am able to share! 

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ this is where I saw about Drexel. Please do share the info after meeting with faculty member.

31 minutes ago, lattemuwood said:

I think it may differ by department? I also see that no interview is required in PHS's FAQ, but in the Epi department's FAQ it says that "Not for the masters programs, but there are phone and Skype interviews for top ranked PhD applicants."

1 hour ago, DarkPassenger said:

As per their FAQ:

Hi @DarkPassenger  , I think they intentionally use vague language. If they make it seem like the interview is "optional", then there isn't the same pressure to conduct a formal interview weekend or event (which totally sucks). I think to @lattemuwood's point, each department varies in method. From my internet stalking (lol), it seems like the decisions are heavily committee based, making the interview process a little more fluid vs. other programs where students apply directly to an advisor, and are funding based on that advisor's grant funding. I do wish there was more communication in the process. I watched a PHS open house video and they provided the breakdown of # of students admitted by department. I think of the ~42 admitted : 14 are EPI, 8 are SBS, 5 nutrition, 8 Global, 7 EH........ I think @bstat95 mentioned results going out by the middle Feb...... *fingers crossed* 

1 hour ago, potlucknopotatosalad said:

Hi @DarkPassenger  , I think they intentionally use vague language. If they make it seem like the interview is "optional", then there isn't the same pressure to conduct a formal interview weekend or event (which totally sucks). I think to @lattemuwood's point, each department varies in method. From my internet stalking (lol), it seems like the decisions are heavily committee based, making the interview process a little more fluid vs. other programs where students apply directly to an advisor, and are funding based on that advisor's grant funding. I do wish there was more communication in the process. I watched a PHS open house video and they provided the breakdown of # of students admitted by department. I think of the ~42 admitted : 14 are EPI, 8 are SBS, 5 nutrition, 8 Global, 7 EH........ I think @bstat95 mentioned results going out by the middle Feb...... *fingers crossed* 

Thanks for the insight. I guess time will tell!

2 hours ago, smusdent said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU PhD Biomedical Sciences in Data, Medicine, and Health track, BU PhD in Epidemiology, or Yale PhD Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases? 

I'm still waiting to hear from BU Epi PhD too. Going slightly crazy but I haven't seen anyone say they've heard from the program yet...

16 hours ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

I applied to GW for the DrPH as well, and like you mentioned, their email stated that they will get back in March. 

Congrats on the BU interview! And best of luck!! I also applied to the BU DrPH program and haven't heard back. I didn't realize they required interviews. When I was researching programs and emailed their program manager, he didn't mention having interviews as part of the admission process so I had no idea it was required! 

On that note, I heard back from 0/8 DrPH programs I've applied to. No news on any fronts. 

I don't know if they're required honestly. There is nothing on the website that says they're required, so don't count yourself out!

23 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Anyone else in the same boat and haven't heard from any schools yet? I know it's still early for the programs with later deadlines but the silence is crazy!

17 minutes ago, AnxiousKronk said:

I'm in the same boat. Still waiting.

Applied to 9 programs.

On the same boat as y'all. I applied to 4. Got 1 rejection, and the other 3 are radio silent. I'll just keep manifesting that I get an acceptance or a last-minute interview invite lol ?