PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

Hi everyone,

A bit late but I applied to a handful of PhD programs. So far, I've heard back from Hopkins for Mental Health (interview this Friday), UMichigan for Epi (interview in mid-Jan), UTHeath, Houston for Epi (accepted) and UWashington for Epi (rejected). 

1 hour ago, 1stgenPhD said:

@psychhopeful19

I applied for the mental health program at JHU. I didn’t receive an interview, should I assume that I was rejected and move on?:(

I think they are still reaching out to people this week! I was given different slots for this week to sign up.  And they may reach out to others next week depending on who they like and don’t through these interviews.  So I would wait until secondary interviews are released! 

Since folks are sharing their profiles, let me share mine and where i've applied.

Profile: 3.6 Undergrad GPA, 3.9 Masters GPA (Epidemiology). Working in research for 2 years where i've also had the opportunity to informally supervise undergrad and masters level projects. 15ish research article publications (5 of which = first author). ~5 more pending. A fair bit of research presentations, etc. I haven't written the GRE (and tbh, I suck at standardized tests!).

Applied to:

1. Harvard Health Policy: no response

2. Harvard PHS: no response

3. Stanford Health Policy: no response

3. Oxford Population Health: interview invite

4. Cambridge Public Health: interview invite

5. Hopkins Health Policy: interview invite

6. University of Toronto Health Policy: interview invite

7. A couple other CDN schools: no response 

Edited by DarkPassenger

9 hours ago, psychhopeful19 said:

I think they are still reaching out to people this week! I was given different slots for this week to sign up.  And they may reach out to others next week depending on who they like and don’t through these interviews.  So I would wait until secondary interviews are released! 

@psychhopeful19

Thank you, this is my first time applying to PhD programs so I’m very new to the process. Did you reach out to any faculty prior to submitting your applications? I didn’t realize how important this step is and I am worried it may be too late for me to email them. 

1 hour ago, 1stgenPhD said:

@psychhopeful19

Thank you, this is my first time applying to PhD programs so I’m very new to the process. Did you reach out to any faculty prior to submitting your applications? I didn’t realize how important this step is and I am worried it may be too late for me to email them. 

Hey 1stgenPhD, I actually did not reach out to any of my PIs prior to applying, save one school (because it’s an element of the application process). I’ve gotten some interviews and an acceptance thus far. I didn’t reach out namely because with everything going on with COVID, it just didn’t feel right to me to “bug” folks. With that said, I did only apply to schools that were a research fit. 

Edited by MCH_Hopeful_2021

2 hours ago, 1stgenPhD said:

@psychhopeful19

I didn’t as well! But I did attend their informational they had in December for applicants

Forgot to share that a POI at Tulane (new SBPS track) reached out to me last week to schedule an interview for later the same week. They sent me an update this afternoon clarifying something, and mentioned that their department was in the process of finalizing admits and funding because they were only accepting students they could guarantee funding for at least 2 years. 

6 minutes ago, ivy123 said:

Just received notification that I was recommended for admission to the Health Services Research PhD Program at Brown University. The Graduate School there will be formally sending me my acceptance and offer letter soon. Hope others who applied to the program also hear back positively.

Wow that's such a quick turnaround!! Congratulations!!! 

I interviewed with BSHS, and was told from current students (so nothing official/confirmed) but that they all heard back within ~2ish weeks so getting nervous for next week. 

2 minutes ago, ProspectivePhD said:

Forgot to share that a POI at Tulane (new SBPS track) reached out to me last week to schedule an interview for later the same week. They sent me an update this afternoon clarifying something, and mentioned that their department was in the process of finalizing admits and funding because they were only accepting students they could guarantee funding for at least 2 years. 

Did you get the impression that they're interviewing all top choices, or does it seem more like a case by case basis?

Just now, drunkenduck said:

Did you get the impression that they're interviewing all top choices, or does it seem more like a case by case basis?

I personally got the impression it was a case by case. This particular POI was someone who I hadn't mentioned in my research statement but whose work does closely align, so they really just seemed interested in learning more about my interests/what I was looking for in a program.

19 minutes ago, ivy123 said:

Just received notification that I was recommended for admission to the Health Services Research PhD Program at Brown University. The Graduate School there will be formally sending me my acceptance and offer letter soon. Hope others who applied to the program also hear back positively.

Congratulations!!

38 minutes ago, ivy123 said:

Did you interview with them?

1 hour ago, srp10215 said:

For those waiting to hear from the UNC Health Behavior program, I just received an invitation to interview Monday. Kind of a quick turnaround. If I had to guess based on previous years (and this is just a guess!), they'll probably roll out invites today and tomorrow.

I applied to the MSPH-PHD program in Health Behavior UNC. No invite here. I guess it's most likely a rejection 

1 minute ago, ChiccaChica said:

So if I haven't heard by now, I guess I should assume rejection?

I'm sorry, I just saw that you applied to the Health Disparities track! I applied to Addiction Sciences. I can tell you that I had my first round interview last week but I'm really not sure whether different tracks within HSR are on different timelines. The admissions folks are super helpful, so I would definitely recommend reaching out to confirm!

Just now, Leget said:

I applied to the MSPH-PHD program in Health Behavior UNC. No invite here. I guess it's most likely a rejection 

Hey! I applied to the PhD program and am not sure if the review timeline for MSPH to PhD is different. 

Have you looked at when people in previous years have heard back? www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=unc+health+behavior&t=a&o=i