PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

On 1/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, epi2be said:

I hope everyone is hanging in there, this waiting period has been brutal! Hopefully we will all hear back soon! I was accepted to UW PhD Epidemiology yesterday and am really excited! If anyone else was accepted, feel free to DM me so we can connect! Also, I am trying to navigate their funding mechanism so if anyone has any information on that, I would greatly appreciate it! Wishing everyone the best of luck during this process, it seems this is one of the most competitive years so the stress level has been very high on my end for sure

Congratulations!!!

On 1/26/2021 at 10:29 PM, HealthPolicy21 said:

Hi! So far I’ve interviewed for the Harvard PHS global health track and have interviews scheduled for Stanford Health Policy next week. I received my rejection from Berkeley yesterday.

Oh ok thanks for sharing! I haven’t heard back from either place but hoping that no news is still good news ?

To anyone else who’s applied to Harvard PHS Global health program, here’s what I heard from a faculty member I had been in touch with while applying: “I believe that they do interview everyone on the shortlist, but as I am not on the committee I am not certain about that. I also do not know much about  the timing but my suspicion is that final decisions are either being made now or have been made. If you have not had an interview then I would guess—and it is a guess—that things may not work out.”

Since there’s so much ambiguity about their interview process, I thought I’d share what I heard. 

10 hours ago, ChiccaChica said:

Has anyone heard back from the BU Health Services Research PhD program? I applied to the health disparities track.

I didn't apply, but I'm an alum of BUSPH and work in Boston. That department is currently imploding and faculty are jumping. 

Just now, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Well, damn. 

I can get more tea at work tomorrow. Right now it's more PhDs who have faculty appointments an teach sometimes rather than core faculty jumping. Some of them are senior scientists with 30+ years as faculty. The dean also is very glamorous and loves the attention. He doesn't care about MPH students as future scientists, just as dollar signs. He's also trying to cut ties with VA and other research organizations/agencies because "they don't serve the school." However, this is very much an HPM issue, not SPH-wide thing. Well, the dean is schoolwide, but... 

6 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

I can get more tea at work tomorrow. Right now it's more PhDs who have faculty appointments an teach sometimes rather than core faculty jumping. Some of them are senior scientists with 30+ years as faculty. The dean also is very glamorous and loves the attention. He doesn't care about MPH students as future scientists, just as dollar signs. He's also trying to cut ties with VA and other research organizations/agencies because "they don't serve the school." However, this is very much an HPM issue, not SPH-wide thing. Well, the dean is schoolwide, but... 

Super interesting intel. Maybe it's just making me feel better about not getting an interview invite but that's what I need on this Friday!

Happy Friday everyone! Wanted to share that I got an interview with Nevada. Not a crazy top ranked program like some of you guys :) but I’m pumped to finally hear news. I’m a little untraditional of an applicant with no formal research experience and limited publications so it felt nice to get an interview invite! 

14 hours ago, DrPH or Bust said:

How was your BU DrPH interview?  What was it like?

All around a good experience. They asked thoughtful questions about my background, experience, and goals. All focused on getting to know you better and your aspirations. My interviewers had a friendly, positive energy. Hope that helps a bit!

Edited by almondbutter_em

41 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Happy Friday everyone! Wanted to share that I got an interview with Nevada. Not a crazy top ranked program like some of you guys :) but I’m pumped to finally hear news. I’m a little untraditional of an applicant with no formal research experience and limited publications so it felt nice to get an interview invite! 

Congratulations and good luck!!

12 hours ago, AnxiousKronk said:

Happy to see some people getting acceptances :)

My anxiety level is now astronomical - I just need any decision notice at this point to calm down haha

You are not alone in the anxiety department! I feel your pain. ? Hang in there!

Edited by almondbutter_em

On 1/27/2021 at 6:25 PM, psychhopeful19 said:

Hello! First time posting here- had an initial interview scheduled with JHU's Mental Health PhD

I know a few people were asking so wanted to put this info out there- the faculty I interviewed with said they should be meeting in the next week or two to discuss who they are extending secondary interviews to.  (Also with JHU rejecting my Mental Health masters application back in 2017 this has been a good confidence booster- don't lose hope!)

Congratulations! I hope it went well! Thanks for the update. How did the interview go? Were there any curveball questions? 

Haven't seen many other people talking about PhD applications for Environmental Health/Environmental and Occupation Health programs, but wanted to bring in my info for any other EHS applicants. 

I applied to GW, Columbia, Drexel, Boston, Temple, Berkeley, and Hopkins. 

Had a faculty interview for Drexel last week, and for Berkeley yesterday. No contact from the other programs at all yet.