PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

40 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Female, here. Wore a blazer, button-up, and my lucky fuzzy socks. Did not feel overly dressed. Interviewers were very casual though. 

Something that I think may be important too is making sure your background is professional and visually appealing. Room rater is a good source for tips on camera angles, lighting, etc. 

I wore fuzzy socks too!! I’m female, wore suit jacket. I have been wearing what I would wear if I were interviewing in person (except for the fuzzy socks lol). 

3 hours ago, Scm2558 said:

Hello! Wondering if anyone has heard anything on the PhD in Nutrition/Nutritional sciences home front? It’s been a ghost town on my end! 

24 minutes ago, phdhopesanddreams said:

Hi everyone! I applied to the following PhD programs:

1. University of Washington Health Services Research

2. Harvard PHS Nutrition

3. Berkeley Epidemiology

4. OHSU-PSU Community Health

Has anyone interviewed or heard decisions from any of these specific programs? Thanks!

Hello! I applied to Harvard PHS nutrition, Pitt U Epi (Nutrition), Columbia U Mailman Epi, and UMASS Lowell Nutrition Epi. Accepted by Pitt in early Jan. Had an interview with Harvard in mid Jan, no follow-up email after that.  No response from other 2 programs. 

1 hour ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

QQ: For those who have interviewed already? What did you wear to your zoom interview? I'm a man, and I don't know whether I should wear a suit and tie or if I should just wear a dress shirt.

Hello, cisgender male here. I just wore a black turtleneck and cleaned up my room. I had two interviews and they were both very informal. I think whatever you feel most comfortable and confident in will do the trick. Best of luck on your apps!

50 minutes ago, mr444 said:

Hello, cisgender male here. I just wore a black turtleneck and cleaned up my room. I had two interviews and they were both very informal. I think whatever you feel most comfortable and confident in will do the trick. Best of luck on your apps!

1 hour ago, EHS_7812 said:

I wore a suit and tie to one interview and just a plain dress shirt to another interview. In both cases the interviewers were just wearing sweaters. Don't think it matters too much for online interviews as long as you look professional. 

I had 4 interviews. I am a dude. I wore a white dress shirt and blue tie to all of them. I know it probably doesn't matter, but I would rather be over-dressed than under-dressed. Plus, you want to make a good first impression. Nobody is going to give you shit for over-dressing, but they might if you are under-dressed (unconscious bias at least). All my interviewers were not dressed up at all lol. One of my interviewers even laughed and asked me "why are you all dressed up?". I told him "I want to set a good impression" and it made him laugh and kind of made the interview more chill lol. TLDR: DRESS TO IMPRESS BABY. IT DOESN'T HURT!

2 hours ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

QQ: For those who have interviewed already? What did you wear to your zoom interview? I'm a man, and I don't know whether I should wear a suit and tie or if I should just wear a dress shirt.

I didn't want to over-dress personally. I just wore a nice sweater/turtleneck. Good luck!! 

Edited by tommec

Providing an update: 

1/13-15: Interviews with Michigan

1/20: Rejection from Emory

1/28: Rejection from Hopkins (Health Security)

2/1 - Interview with Hopkins (Epi) 

Still waiting on Columbia. *Fingers crossed and good vibes all around to everyone.* ???

To those who applied to UNC HB program

I sent the academic coordinator a mail and this was her reply;

"Although most interview invitations have gone out, the Admissions Committee is still working on determining the remaining interview decisions and that may take another few weeks.  Admission decisions will be sent to all applicants once the final admission decisions have been made, in early March or so."

Figured I should contribute after lurking for so long. 
Will be graduating with MPH in March, have a BS in Community Health. 2 years research/public health experience. Clearly not the most qualified candidate, but still very interested in pursuing a PhD! Applied to the following programs for Health Policy & Services Research/Administration/Management:

Brown, U of Colorado SPH, CUNY, Drexel, Temple, U of I Chicago SPH, UMD, & VCU. 

Have not heard back from anywhere yet, not even a rejection. At this point, I don’t have much hope that I will be accepted anywhere, and I’m just working to be okay with that and thinking about how I can use this year to make sure I’m an appealing candidate the next time around. That being said, I feel the same as many of you do - the waiting to hear back has been really tough, and I am having trouble not thinking about this constantly. Sigh. Just tell me you don’t want me already!

I see the highly qualified candidates on this thread and applaud all of you for your interviews & acceptances! I appreciate you all for sharing your experiences. 

Edited by Joel12

2 hours ago, phdhopesanddreams said:

Hi everyone! I applied to the following PhD programs:

1. University of Washington Health Services Research

2. Harvard PHS Nutrition

3. Berkeley Epidemiology

4. OHSU-PSU Community Health

Has anyone interviewed or heard decisions from any of these specific programs? Thanks!

I applied to Berkeley Epi also and haven't heard a thing either. When I spoke to faculty and the department coordinator they all mentioned that interviews weren't required so faculty have the option to reach out but it isn't required.

Hopefully this helps :)

Just now, ChiccaChica said:

Congrats! So happy for you. Would you be willing to share your stats? I also applied there but haven’t heard anything yet ? 

Sure! 

• 3.99 GPA from graduating institution, 3.29 SOPHAS GPA
  • Major in Public Health, minors in Data Sciences and Mathematics
  • 168V/164Q/5.5AW GRE
  • No Master's degree
  • 2 years research experience, 3 years relevant work experience

Just now, katevinita said:

Sure! 

• 3.99 GPA from graduating institution, 3.29 SOPHAS GPA
  • Major in Public Health, minors in Data Sciences and Mathematics
  • 168V/164Q/5.5AW GRE
  • No Master's degree
  • 2 years research experience, 3 years relevant work experience

Awesome! Like I said, so happy for you and congratulations. Hopefully I hear something good soon, too :) 

Just now, ChiccaChica said:

Awesome! Like I said, so happy for you and congratulations. Hopefully I hear something good soon, too :) 

I hope you do too! If it helps, they are requiring an accept/decline by February 15. So I expect there will be a second batch of acceptances after that date for students who don't take the offer.

7 minutes ago, katevinita said:

I hope you do too! If it helps, they are requiring an accept/decline by February 15. So I expect there will be a second batch of acceptances after that date for students who don't take the offer.

WOW That is a very quick turnaround deadline! I wonder if an extension could be requested. That doesn't seem to be fair for accepted students when many other schools haven't made the final decisions yet! 

Just now, xxxxling said:

WOW That is a very quick turnaround deadline! I wonder if an extension could be requested. That doesn't seem to be fair for accepted students when many other schools haven't made the final decisions yet! 

Yep. It is quite early. ?

Hey all - hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well! 

First time poster here - I'm sorry if this has already been posted/mentioned, but I'm wondering if you guys have any updates/have heard anything from the following PhD programs; 

• JHU HPM (HSR) 
  • NYU Health Policy 
  • GWU Health Policy 
  • Rutgers HSR 
  • Brown HSR (I understand interviews have already been sent out?)
  • TAMU HSR 

Any information would be super helpful. Good luck everyone!!!

18 minutes ago, HSR-HealthPolicy said:

Hey all - hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well! 

First time poster here - I'm sorry if this has already been posted/mentioned, but I'm wondering if you guys have any updates/have heard anything from the following PhD programs; 

• JHU HPM (HSR) 
  • NYU Health Policy 
  • GWU Health Policy 
  • Rutgers HSR 
  • Brown HSR (I understand interviews have already been sent out?)
  • TAMU HSR 

Any information would be super helpful. Good luck everyone!!!

Hey! I interviewed for JHU HPM (HSR stream) for the PhD program in early Jan. It was an informal interview with an admissions committee member. I was told decisions would be released on/by Feb 15th. I'm hoping they are sent out earlier because I'm getting impatient lol

Edited by DarkPassenger