PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

23 minutes ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Just found out recently that I was admitted to USC's PhD in HBR program!!! I am absolutely thrilled, as this program was my top choice. I'm hoping everyone else here gets some good news soon, too!

Woohooo!! That’s what I like to hear! Yesterday was a damn blood bath, so I’m so grateful to see folks hearing good news. We got this, ya’ll! 

Anyone heard from Harvard PhD in PHS, Global Health and Population (with a concentration in Pop and Family Health)? I've seen some posts about interviews for the Health Systems track (and other departments) being sent out, but have not seen or heard anything related to GHP-Pop and Family Health.

Thanks, all!

39 minutes ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Just found out recently that I was admitted to USC's PhD in HBR program!!! I am absolutely thrilled, as this program was my top choice. I'm hoping everyone else here gets some good news soon, too!

Congrats! I work at the university and getting my MPH here! LMK if you have any questions about the area/the university :)

2 hours ago, CovidPhD said:

Hi there, I have interviews scheduled with Harvard Health Policy, Decision Sciences faculty this week. I also am interviewing with Stanford Health Policy, Decision Sciences and have completed interviews for Harvard PHS, Global Health, and UW Global Health, Health Metrics.

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing the date when Stanford sent out the interview invite, and if you were contacted by POI or the general admission committee? Thanks and good luck with all the interviews!

17 hours ago, HSR-HealthPolicy said:

Hey all - hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well! 

First time poster here - I'm sorry if this has already been posted/mentioned, but I'm wondering if you guys have any updates/have heard anything from the following PhD programs; 

• JHU HPM (HSR) 
  • NYU Health Policy 
  • GWU Health Policy 
  • Rutgers HSR 
  • Brown HSR (I understand interviews have already been sent out?)
  • TAMU HSR 

Any information would be super helpful. Good luck everyone!!!

I heard that GWU Health Policy would make final decisions around mid-Feb.

42 minutes ago, PhDAPP2021 said:

Congrats!! Would you mind sharing the date when Stanford sent out the interview invite, and if you were contacted by POI or the general admission committee? Thanks and good luck with all the interviews!

I heard from Stanford last Tuesday - the “admissions committee” sent out the email with dates to talk to faculty. 

12 minutes ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

How did y'all prep for your interviews? I'm freaking out about mine!

I reviewed my SOP for the school to see what they had access too, and then did more research on the program (i.e. research centers, course requirements, etc.) and my interviewers specifically (their interests/current research, center affiliations, classes they taught, and read a few recent papers they'd written). Might have been a little too much, but I just wanted to be ready to talk about them if needed.

Other than that, I tried to prepare for some questions I thought they might ask: tell me about yourself/your interests, why this program, why are you interested in a phd right now as opposed to in a few years, where do i see myself post-phd. Also brainstormed some questions to ask them, I thought the research on the program was really helpful here because I was able to avoid asking questions that are on the websites.

Edited by ProspectivePhD

1 minute ago, ProspectivePhD said:

I reviewed my SOP for the school to see what they had access too, and then did more research on the program (i.e. research centers, course requirements, etc.) and my interviewers specifically (their interests/current research, classes they taught, and read a few recent papers they'd written). Might have been a little too much, but I just wanted to be ready to talk about them if needed.

Other than that, I tried to prepare for some questions I thought they might ask: tell me about yourself/your interests, why this program, why are you interested in a phd right now as opposed to in a few years, where do i see myself post-phd. Also brainstormed some questions to ask them, I thought the research on the program was really helpful here because I was able to avoid asking questions that are on the websites.

Really good advice here. Pretty much everyone will say tell me about yourself so that’s a freebie question where you can have a response that highlights your most important points.

another poster a few weeks ago said “How will the field be a better place with you in it?” Although I was not asked this exact question I was asked a variation of it - if you can answer this question, and be able to outline a plan to get there and your goals along the way, you’ll be in good shape re “your story.” Then you want to connect that to “why <program>“.

I know it’s scary but you can do it!! Mine were much more laid back than I expected.

24 minutes ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

I had only interviews with one program (and not acceptance yet :)) so I am not experienced with interviews. 

I might be a bit excessive too. When I applied to programs, I checked POIs recent pubs, youtube videos if they have ones, grant portfolios, their twitter accounts. I read the student handbooks and curriculums into details. I also checked their student profiles to get a picture of their background and interests. Browsed through my top program's student dissertations if they are publically online and try to get a vibe out of it, e.g. from the acknowledgement section (luckily it is a small program). Ofc, checked out some of the research centers etc. 

Above posts' questions are really helpful, I prepared those questions too. But I also realized that interviewers might bring up similar questions asking in different ways, so the answers I practiced/mock interviewed were a bit different from what i prepared LOL but I think at least they are authentic. 

I resonated with ProspectivePhD, I did all these prep so I can avoid asking sth that I could find answers online. For example, because my background is in Implementation Science, I asked if the interviewers think I will blend in well in an epi program with students mostly interested in traditional epi. These types of questions are related to my own experiences and background, and I do want to know the answer before I can commit myself.

Actually during my interview with the faculty, after briefly introducing myself, she directly asked if I had any questions for her. So I got the chance to ask about her perspectives on the field I'm in -- since I have decided to leave my current institution and join another one, different research groups might have different viewpoint and approaches. 

I think every interview might be different. Good luck with your interviews :) 

48 minutes ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

One more thing to add to this and previous conversations on this topic: Please remember that you are also interviewing them. You will spend 4-5+ of your life surrounded by those people, jumping through their hoops, pouring your soul into their research, and hoping you’re better for it. Don’t be so humbled by being interviewed or considered for a slot that you forget that they’re just as lucky to be speaking with YOU. So have a little swagger, keep your head high, and ask the questions you need to to make the right decision for yourself, your family (if you have one), and your career. 

Hey all. Another lurker joining the fold because I am dying from the wait!

I had interviews at Harvard (PHS in EH), Michigan (Epi), and upcoming interviews at Emory (Epi).

Haven't heard anything from UNC (Epi) or Columbia (EHS).

Anxious to hear back from programs, as I have the two-body problem (spouse applying to residency). Harvard is our dream place, so we've already decided once I hear back we are having pizza regardless of what the decision is. I hope it's celebration pizza ?.

Fingers crossed for good results SOON!

EDIT: speak of the devil, perhaps I should have posted sooner about not hearing things! Email from UNC: "We feel confident that all admission decisions will be made and communicated no later than the first week of March.  You will likely receive a decision before then, but that is our working deadline."

Back to waiting it is.....

Edited by envepid
literally just got email from UNC

8 minutes ago, envepid said:

Hey all. Another lurker joining the fold because I am dying from the wait!

I had interviews at Harvard (PHS in EH), Michigan (Epi), and upcoming interviews at Emory (Epi).

Haven't heard anything from UNC (Epi) or Columbia (EHS).

Anxious to hear back from programs, as I have the two-body problem (spouse applying to residency). Harvard is our dream place, so we've already decided once I hear back we are having pizza regardless of what the decision is. I hope it's celebration pizza ?.

Fingers crossed for good results SOON!

EDIT: speak of the devil, perhaps I should have posted sooner about not hearing things! Email from UNC: "We feel confident that all admission decisions will be made and communicated no later than the first week of March.  You will likely receive a decision before then, but that is our working deadline."

Back to waiting it is.....

Hi gl to you and your s/o! I’m sure you will hear good news soon! By the way do u mind sharing your stats? I applied to Harvard EH as well but haven’t heard back

8 minutes ago, epihsrhopeful said:

Hi gl to you and your s/o! I’m sure you will hear good news soon! By the way do u mind sharing your stats? I applied to Harvard EH as well but haven’t heard back

Thanks, and best of luck to you as well! I'll be graduating with my MPH in Epi this semester w/4.0gpa. uGPA 3.76. GRE was 169/162Q/5.5 though I think I only submitted it to the schools that required it. 2 years full time research exp in environmental epi before MPH and have been active in research in MPH as well. 8 pubs, 1 first author.

29 minutes ago, envepid said:

Thanks, and best of luck to you as well! I'll be graduating with my MPH in Epi this semester w/4.0gpa. uGPA 3.76. GRE was 169/162Q/5.5 though I think I only submitted it to the schools that required it. 2 years full time research exp in environmental epi before MPH and have been active in research in MPH as well. 8 pubs, 1 first author.

Wow such a strong profile! All the best! Keep us updated with good news!

Hello guys, 

I have been reading all the posts, and its a mixed feeling as I haven't heard back from most schools I applied to. 

I am an International student, currently pursuing my MPH and graduating this May. I have an MBBS degree(equivalent to MD) from my home country. 1 publication. 3+year PH experience (International and Domestic)

Undergrad GPA: 3.0 and Master's: 3.6

I applied to a lot of schools for PhD/DrPH programs

Drexel, BU, JHU, Emory, TAMU, UCLA, Berkeley, Yale, NYU, University of Miami, Ohio State, Indiana, Pittsburgh, UPenn, Minnesota, Tulane

I have been rejected by Emory and JHU. 

Its so silent from the rest that it is making me really anxious. Writing here to see what everyone has to say. 

Also congratulations everyone who has been accepted. :)