PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

21 minutes ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Did you all send a thank you note after your interview? 

I did! While I don't think its a requirement, by any means, its a nice way to say that you reflected on your conversation and are thoughtfully considering the program. It also lets them know that you think of their time as valuable. 

22 minutes ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Did you all send a thank you note after your interview? 

Nope. I just expressed a lot of gratitude at the end of the interview and left it at that. I can almost guarantee you that it won't hurt your chances to forgo that step and would be really really surprised if it put someone over the top. 

Just now, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Nope. I just expressed a lot of gratitude at the end of the interview and left it at that. I can almost guarantee you that it won't hurt your chances to forgo that step and would be really really surprised if it put someone over the top. 

Agree with this. I don't think it is a big deal

I just received an email from the graduate admissions coordinator at USF. She says:

the decisions for the DrPH program are going to be send mid to end of March. There are no application updates via the USF system until a decision is made.”

I’m not sure if interviews are part of the decision process...? I dunno why the schools gotta make it so vague and secret about these things!!!?? Argh!!! ???

Graduate application to Brown U DEEPS - I was interviewed virtually by the POI in October 2020 and was strongly recommended to apply. AND the POI informally welcomed me to the research group at the end of the interview.

Last week though, I contacted my POI and I was told that they have submitted their ranked lists (I'm in the list) to the admission committee, and now admission committee is working on the final decisions based on the available budget, the rankings, and balancing requests across the department. This is the part that totally confused and concerned me about the final results. Do you know what the ranked list is? I need your opinions as I'm dying here from anxiety! ?

Edited by HeliaFarzaneh

7 hours ago, HelFar69 said:

Graduate application to Brown U DEEPS - I was interviewed virtually by the POI in October 2020 and was strongly recommended to apply. AND the POI informally welcomed me to the research group at the end of the interview.

Last week though, I contacted my POI and I was told that they have submitted their ranked lists (I'm in the list) to the admission committee, and now admission committee is working on the final decisions based on the available budget, the rankings, and balancing requests across the department. This is the part that totally confused and concerned me about the final results. Do you know what the ranked list is? I need your opinions as I'm dying here from anxiety! ?

Someone in this group might have some intel about the ranked list but this is a Public Health forum and the process may vary between programs. Is there a forum in GradCafe related to DEEPS you could also ask the question to?

21 hours ago, almondbutter_em said:

Eeek. I haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully it's not all over yet. 

Congrats to you though!! Wonderful to hear the good news. 

@blakepancake Update: got good news from UC Berkeley DrPH last night!! Still want to hear back from other places before making final decisions, but it's a big relief!?

Edited by almondbutter_em

14 minutes ago, almondbutter_em said:

@blakepancake Update: got good news from UC Berkeley DrPH last night!! Still want to hear back from other places before making final decisions, but it's a big relief!?

Congratulations! Yes, I'm also feeling very relieved and realized I'm checking GradCafe a lot less often suddenly!

Just now, HSR_PhD Hopeful said:

Officially out at hopkins! I had pretty low expectations and still waiting to hear from 8 other places so I'm taking this a lot better than I thought I might have. 

Ugh I'm sorry. Also waiting for my rejection. Did you see it on your portal or are they sending out emails?

Very glad to hear you're looking forward to the future! We're both gonna end up exactly where we should be!

Just now, phdorbust21 said:

Ugh I'm sorry. Also waiting for my rejection. Did you see it on your portal or are they sending out emails?

Very glad to hear you're looking forward to the future! We're both gonna end up exactly where we should be!

Thanks! 

I decided to check the portal just to see if there was an update. I didn't get any email though (at least not yet?)

14 minutes ago, phdorbust21 said:

12 minutes ago, HSR_PhD Hopeful said:

Thanks! 

I decided to check the portal just to see if there was an update. I didn't get any email though (at least not yet?)

Sorry to hear that! Hope other schools work out! For JHU, mine still says 'under review'... anxietyyyyyy

9 hours ago, dr_megaevil said:

I just received an email from the graduate admissions coordinator at USF. She says:

the decisions for the DrPH program are going to be send mid to end of March. There are no application updates via the USF system until a decision is made.”

I’m not sure if interviews are part of the decision process...? I dunno why the schools gotta make it so vague and secret about these things!!!?? Argh!!! ???

Mid to late March seems so far away! Especially since USF had a November application deadline ?

Hello everyone! 

Congratulations to all of you who have already been accepted! And the best wishes to those who are still waiting for your acceptances! 

I have bee following the forum for some time by only now have decided to say something. I am applying to PhD programs that are relate to community health, MCH, and social and behavioral sciences. I was wondering if anyone has applied/heard back from: University of Miami (prevention sciences and community health), University of Florida (Social and Behavioral Sciences), and UIC (Community Health - MCH)? 

2 minutes ago, ProspectivePhD said:

keeping true with their two week time frame. 

thanks for the update, good luck to you as well! :)

oh haha, I'm just a lurker who is applying to HPM next cycle with connections across the school. But I'll carry your good luck forward, hopefully!

For folks who are debating whether or not to defer next year: I got word from USF that you can start the Fall virtually, if you choose. I know for some people that's a turn-off, because you want the standard graduate experience. But for those of us who were thinking of deferring because of the pandemic and the uncertainty of a move or attending in-person classes, this is good news! I'm hopeful that other schools offer the same options. 

6 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For folks who are debating whether or not to defer next year: I got word from USF that you can start the Fall virtually, if you choose. I know for some people that's a turn-off, because you want the standard graduate experience. But for those of us who were thinking of deferring because of the pandemic and the uncertainty of a move or attending in-person classes, this is good news! I'm hopeful that other schools offer the same options. 

Interesting. I wonder if schools require you to still move to the location... Any idea? Oxford Uni told me that you still have to move if accepted lol

Edited by DarkPassenger

5 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Interesting. I wonder if schools require you to still move to the location... Any idea? Oxford Uni told me that you still have to move if accepted lol

I have no clue! Sorry. If I’m virtual though, I personally don’t plan on moving until I can do so safely with a little one, preferably with both myself and my husband vaccinated.

Also, how would they know if you moved or not? 

11 hours ago, dr_megaevil said:

Well that is good to know dr_megaevil.  Did you reach out to them yourself or was this an automated email?  Which track did you apply to?  I applied to the DrPH Laboratory Science and Practice.  Thanks!