PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

52 minutes ago, 2021epiphd said:

I also got this message on my Columbia page so thinking this is a very unfortunate error :(

I'm not on a computer, but if any of you are, hit ctrl AND f5. I think the css didn't load. Sadly for me, I think it's an error. Butt faces. 

26 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Hi everyone. I got waitlisted for the Hopkins HPM program. Does anyone know how often people are admitted off of the waitlist?

I think I read in the 2020 forum that about 60-70% of those admitted to JHU accept, so there is movement! What I can't tell you is if that's specific to your program. ?‍♀️

But CONGRATS on being placed on their shortlist! Your app and interview must have been pretty darn impressive!

1 minute ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I think I read in the 2020 forum that about 60-70% of those admitted to JHU accept, so there is movement! What I can't tell you is if that's specific to your program. ?‍♀️

But CONGRATS on being placed on their shortlist! Your app and interview must have been pretty darn impressive!

Thanks for that information, and thank you for your kind words. Kind of bummed right now. I just remembered that my interviewer told me ~80% of applicants accept their offer... I also don't know my ranking on the waitlist... so I guess we will see...

Edited by DarkPassenger

3 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Thanks for that information, and thank you for your kind words. Kind of bummed right now. I just remembered that my interviewer told me ~80% of applicants accept their offer... I also don't know my ranking on the waitlist... so I guess we will see...

Ugh. I feel you. I hope you hear soon. Limbo is no fun.

You've received other admits, correct? If not, I'm sure something will pan out (although I'm crossing my fingers for you for JHU)!

Just now, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Ugh. I feel you. I hope you hear soon. Limbo is no fun.

You've received other admits, correct? If not, I'm sure something will pan out (although I'm crossing my fingers for you for JHU)!

I'm waiting for responses from other schools, but I was REALLLLY digging the JHU program to be honest. And thank you!

I'm a long time lurker but I'm finally posting, I was waitlisted at Brown BSHS, does anyone know if people from waitlist usually make it in somehow or if I should just move on sadly?

If anyone else is waiting for any news from Yale SBS, I emailed their department and they said all interview requests should be going out this week or soon if that help's anyone's stress like me aha.

Edited by marlenemae9

2 minutes ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

I hate seeing all the waitlist notifications, it’s heartbreaking I know :(

A reminder that 99% of the time it’s nothing you did in your interview that caused you to be waitlisted! A lot of times it just comes down to administrative things like what professors are next on the list to get students and how much funding the program has. You are seriously so impressive!!

I think Brown is thinking they’re going to have 2 BSHS PhD students (maybe 3?). I’m really hoping more funding comes through, and that the waitlist moves. I’m not sure if anyone got off the waitlist last year, but I think a lot of that had to do with funding/COVID. I really hope this helps a little :) 

Thank you for the info and your kindness, I definitely had a good cry this morning! Its definitely sad especially considering how many people were at recruitment day 2 to 3 students is sad to hear but this definitely helps and hopefully more funding can happen it sounds like the department is hoping for it too but who knows . 

10 hours ago, blakepancake said:

Sorry for a dumb question -- how are folks adding the "signature" with their results so far when they post here?

You click on your username in the top right corner, select "account settings", and then on the left, it will say "signature", where you can put whatever you want to be your signature.

19 hours ago, DarkPassenger said:

You should email admissions and ask. They've been pretty nice over email, and fast at responding!

From JHU - 

Thank you for your email. The DrPH program office typically releases decisions in early March.

15 hours ago, phd_one_day said:

First time posting, I got waitlisted for Harvard PHS! Any idea how common it is to get off the waitlist? 

I know it happens, but I am not sure how often. Someone from admissions or the appropriate program director might be able to give you more information.

14 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

Out of curiosity (because I think this will be my situation), what did you do to strengthen your application between cycles?

A few thigns. I got a masters degree. The first time I was adamant that my experience, grades, and GRE would be enough. I also gave an oral presentation at APHA and met folks at the schools I later applied to. I did research and got a few more papers under review before my apps went in. Also, I changed the programs I applied to. I only applied to 3 programs, identified specific teams I wanted to work with, and had phonecalls/zoom calls with PIs before I applied. 

14 hours ago, epi2be said:

Hi! Is this a typo in the Columbia website? Do you know what it means haha

No idea! I emailed them asking for clarification. Haven’t yet heard back from them. This is not helping with my anxiety lol

Hi all, I hope you are all surviving this intense application cycle! And a huge congrats to everyone who received a good news so far! I'm always impressed by how accomplished this group is and definitely learning a lot through this forum. I'm also joining the JHU-HPM-reject party eyyy :) I know there is still a lot of results to be released, but I've been in a reflective mood thinking about the next cycle because as hopeful as I'd like to be, there is a good chance I'll need to try this again. So, for all those who have conducted interviews thus far, is there anything you wish you would have asked or mentioned during an interview to help you stand out more? Or, if you've already been accepted somewhere, is there something you think helped you stand out during an interview? Thanks a bunch!  

2 minutes ago, Epi62 said:

Just received an email from JHU Epi saying that they will release decision next week!  

Mind if I ask which track you are applying for? Did the email come from Ms. Fran Burman?

Edited by NJJ2021

9 minutes ago, NJJ2021 said:

Mind if I ask which tracking you are applying for? Did the email come from Ms. Fran Burman?

Sure, mine is environmental epi.  And yes, it comes from Fran.

Edited by Epi62