PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

6 minutes ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

Salam fellow applicants,

I have been viewing this message board for some time now, and have two questions for the general community:

(1) Has absolutely nobody applied to state schools, or is it a matter of only claiming JHU/Harvard/Yale to show off to the other anonymous posters? Posting your “stats” on page 5 didn’t get you enough of a dopamine rush?

(2) What’s with the “we’re in this together” and “good luck” posts? We’re absolutely not, and we’re competing against each other for limited spaces, respectively. I mean, unless it’s a southern-sweet show of force, then that’s sensible. This isn’t tennis. 

Alright, have a nice day. 

Yes!! I was wondering how long until something crept from under the toll bridge. Guys, our thread must be really HOT to attract such talent. 

Upvote for punctuation and bullet points.  ?

3 minutes ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

Salam fellow applicants,

I have been viewing this message board for some time now, and have two questions for the general community:

(1) Has absolutely nobody applied to state schools, or is it a matter of only claiming JHU/Harvard/Yale to show off to the other anonymous posters? Posting your “stats” on page 5 didn’t get you enough of a dopamine rush?

(2) What’s with the “we’re in this together” and “good luck” posts? We’re absolutely not, and we’re competing against each other for limited spaces, respectively. I mean, unless it’s a southern-sweet show of force, then that’s sensible. This isn’t tennis. 

I'm not sure if this post warrants a reply but...

(1) UCLA, UC Irvine, University of Washington, Berkeley, UCSF, and University of Michigan are all state schools. 

(2) Not necessarily the case... Not all schools/departments are suitable for every applicant, so you can wish someone well in their endeavors. Also, it doesn't hurt to send out good wishes to others

Ok... Anyways, wishing you all the best of luck, online community friends! I know we're all applying to relatively the same programs but I'm rooting for you all and hoping you receive exactly what you need in your life. Trust the universe and the process. 

29 minutes ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

Salam fellow applicants,

This post makes me sad, it sounds like you are in a bad place right now. But instead of trying to bring others down, perhaps the community can help lift you up? How can we support you?

We are all going to end up where we are meant to. More importantly, regardless of where we end up, we all are going to be colleagues. Why not help each other along the way? 

Ya’ll, maybe I’m just too old or just an odd duck but I don’t view anyone here as competition. I only applied to schools I really dug, so there’s no losing for me. And if someone got into one of my programs, then maybe they’ll be in my cohort (because that is a thing) and if not, I can say “hey I know someone with similar interests at X school. Maybe we can collaborate!” I say all that to say: this ain’t the hunger games. We’re all looking to alleviate real people from real suffering. Why the hell wouldn’t I cheer you on?? I want every one of you to be rockstars because myself, my family, and my community benefit. It’s self-destructive nonsense to think otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

Salam fellow applicants,

This person is a troll of the highest order. Do not feed.

Salam fellow applicants,

Boo as you must to keep up appearances, but you know I’m right. This saccharine charade of camaraderie holds no purpose; consider, once the utility of this board has ceased, nary another thought of it you’ll have. Unless, of course, you’re that one person from the 2020 cycle in attendance, ostensibly, to inform anonymous strangers that s/he attends Brown. Have you tried sneaking into undergraduate Zooms to inform them of your lofty status?

The fact of the matter is, I’ll take a spot from some of you, and some of you will take a spot from me. That is how a scarcity of resources works. Pretending otherwise is just as useful as the urinating contest known as “stat posting”. 

Pardon my language, but blowing sunshine into each other’s assholes isn’t the psychotherapy you think it is. 

Have a nice day! Hugs and kisses!

Yes we are competing with other applicants in terms of there is a review committee or a group of faculty reviewing our applications and pick the ones to interview/accept. No I don't view other applicants as my competitors because of our unique paths. 

For example, as an asian, I would fight for the rights of under representative minorities, although that means it might work against me, against my personal interests, and some one might take the position that I wanted. But this is what I truly believe in and the science community for sure needs more diverse opinions. This is bigger than me. I truly wish everyone a successful career, in regardless of the application results, because we can success together, in regardless of me getting into Harvard or not. Not getting into any PhD programs does not make me a loser.

Also, as an international student, I SO appreciate posts sharing background, info., and results, because it helps other applicants dramatically. When I applied to schools in the U.S., other than U.S. News ranking, I had no other references, no other source of information other than these online forums. None of my professor could provide any advice in terms of picking schools and application tips. This goes the same to many other applicants in the U.S. as well. 

Edited by xxxxling

Arizona is not showing me any love and I live here! ?‍♀️

Anyone out there apply to the University of Arizona (Health Behavior Health Promotion)? It’s been radio silent, and I don’t have a good sense of if they interview or not. I wonder if there has been any movement (like I’m willing to count a status change from submitted to under review as a W at this point. ?). 

2 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Interesting... although I wonder from a stance of equity and inclusion what it would mean for low-income students who don’t have quite the same privilege. Would allowing students entry who can bankroll their education (via loans, parents, savings etc) disincentivize schools from funding students without those kind of means? Also, I wonder if someone funding their own education in some ways be at a disadvantage down the road, considering others would have had paid research and teaching assistantships, while they have not. 

Some PhD students do take on loans and self-fund, even in some reputable public health schools. Also I think sometimes it is a bit tricky to work as a volunteer RA with a professor without getting paid (unless taking course credits), some institutions/departments will not allow that. I agree with the equity and inclusion aspect. I personally tried to avoid programs that sends out admissions and ask students to get their own funding (e.g. finding a GRA), which sounds a bit stressful to me.  

4 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Anyone out there apply to the University of Arizona (Health Behavior Health Promotion)? It’s been radio silent, and I don’t have a good sense of if they interview or not. I wonder if there has been any movement (like I’m willing to count a status change from submitted to under review as a W at this point. ?). 

Hey there - I did too! ? No word on my end, so you’re not alone! I am pretty sure they do not do interviews, and I know it’s still early in the process. We can keep in touch over dm if you’d like.

14 minutes ago, xxxxling said:

For example, as an asian, I would fight for the rights of under representative minorities, although that means it might work against me, against my personal interests, and some one might take the position that I wanted. But this is what I truly believe in and the science community for sure needs more diverse opinions.

Not getting into any PhD programs does not make me a loser.

Bruh ?

3 minutes ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

Bruh ?

I actually planned to bring this up during the interview and had a mock interview exercise in terms of how better approach this concern without being aggressive (I ended up not getting an interview from that program LOL. Maybe not a good fit afterall ?). 

Edited by xxxxling

Just now, xxxxling said:

I actually planned to bring this up during the interview and had a mock interview exercise in terms of how better approach this concern without being aggressive (I ended up not getting an interview from that program LOL). 

So you’re aware that applying as an Asian student puts you at a disadvantage, through no fault of your own. Yet you’d abdicate your position because of ... skin color?

Look don’t take this the wrong way, but are you applying because you want to apply? That entire block of text sounds like someone is forcing you to apply and you’d be pleased to not get picked up. 

15 minutes ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

So you’re aware that applying as an Asian student puts you at a disadvantage, through no fault of your own. Yet you’d abdicate your position because of ... skin color?

Look don’t take this the wrong way, but are you applying because you want to apply? That entire block of text sounds like someone is forcing you to apply and you’d be pleased to not get picked up. 

For example, I am good at taking tests and standardized scores, so I am not at a disadvantage on this aspect. Removing the GRE requirement for application takes me into a disadvantage because I am good at it. But I support this from an equity standpoint of view and especially when research shows that GRE is not a good indicator for graduate school success. There might be different reasons for a program not having many URMs, it could be their evaluation metrics put people into disadvantage, but it could also be that although they have made efforts, ppl don't feel that they fit in and choose not to apply. And I am interested in hearing from admin and faculty about their opinions on this matter, in terms of what efforts they have made to recruit these folks. And I do plan to be part of the efforts during my phd education and beyond, if there are opportunities to do so.  

I applied because there are faculty members that align with my research interests, and also for funding concerns (public schools don't have good funding mechanisms for international students as we are not eligible for government training grants). But there are so much more beyond research interests that I also care about. 

The only program that I interviewed so far completely removed GRE from application consideration and covered all the mentioning of GRE in the package before sending for reviews. If I get a spot, I get a spot, if not, I will try next year. 

Edited by xxxxling

33 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I applied and have seen zero updates!

Hi All,

There have been a large number of reports for this thread. Having reviewed them, there is nothing in them contrary to the site guidelines. Other posters are not required to agree with your PoV to post here.

You are, of course, encouraged to use the reputation tools to express your opinion of points of view with which you disagree, or to refuse to engage in the first place. However, please try to avoid spamming the reporting feature. 

-T