PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

32 minutes ago, lx_xl said:

Nope. I had an interview with Hopkins late December. No follow-up since then. How about you?

20 minutes ago, teabunny said:

I did hear back and was accepted to Tufts! But still no word from both Hopkins and UNC since the first week of January. 

Nope, radio silence! I’ve seen that some recent grants have been awarded (I’ve looked up UNC specifically) so I’m hoping that will allow for a mid February update!

Edited by Scm2558

1 hour ago, healthequitySF said:

Has anyone else heard from UC Berkeley's DrPH program? I saw some acceptances last week, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything more recently? Thank you! :D 

Nope, I haven't heard anything from Berkeley DrPH since I applied in Nov. ? Do you know if they require interviews?

11 hours ago, ProspectivePhD said:

I have the same inkling! I got an email from the POI I interviewed with on 1/28 that said the department was finalizing admissions, funding, and scholarships, and that was almost 2 weeks ago...

Hi,

May I ask what track is it?

I had a interview with the tropical medicine depat last week, and he told me it'll come out in 2 weeks.

41 minutes ago, brightbluebirds said:

Hi everyone!

I saw a few acceptances from UNC Epi on the results page. Has anyone heard back? I was wondering if you all knew if these come out in waves or all at once? Thanks!

One of them was mine! I think last year it was definitely a trickle -- there were acceptances starting in Jan and going through March, I think (you could look back at the results page for last year). So I wouldn't be concerned if you haven't heard, especially considering there are only 3 acceptances posted and I think they take a relatively large cohort.

As a side note, there was no funding information included in the letter. It said those decisions are made separately and we will be contacted if we receive funding.

24 minutes ago, envepid said:

One of them was mine! I think last year it was definitely a trickle -- there were acceptances starting in Jan and going through March, I think (you could look back at the results page for last year). So I wouldn't be concerned if you haven't heard, especially considering there are only 3 acceptances posted and I think they take a relatively large cohort.

As a side note, there was no funding information included in the letter. It said those decisions are made separately and we will be contacted if we receive funding.

Congrats!!

That's true - just getting very anxious since it's my top choice and yeah, I've heard funding at UNC is tricky but still very interested!

13 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

Is anyone reaching out to programs they got rejected from to ask for feedback from reviewers? Not planning on doing this unless I don't get in anywhere this cycle, but just curious to hear others' thoughts :) 

Maybe you could ask your LOR writers as well, I am sure they will provide helpful guidance. I hope that it does not come to that though, and you get in where you want to ?

Just now, CatMeow1234 said:

Maybe you could ask your LOR writers as well, I am sure they will provide helpful guidance. I hope that it does not come to that though, and you get in where you want to ?

I hope so too! I'm feeling like my interviews have gone pretty well so far? I just know how competitive this cycle has been and certainly don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Thanks for the tip about LOR writers!

44 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

Is anyone reaching out to programs they got rejected from to ask for feedback from reviewers? Not planning on doing this unless I don't get in anywhere this cycle, but just curious to hear others' thoughts :) 

I asked a program director for feedback, after interviewing and then being rejected. She just said that I had a strong package and in a non-Covid year they might have been able to accept me. So it wasn't super helpful, but it was nice.

1 hour ago, srp10215 said:

Last year when I applied, I got rejected by all 6 schools. I reached out to BU, U- Mich, and Brown. They all provided feedback. Brown, however, will only provide feedback on your application if you've been rejected from all the schools you applied to.

20 minutes ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

Last year when I applied, I got rejected by all 6 schools. I reached out to BU, U- Mich, and Brown. They all provided feedback. Brown, however, will only provide feedback on your application if you've been rejected from all the schools you applied to.

May I ask what did you write to these programs to elicit some feedback? Because when I've done that in the past, most of the time they just quote their policy which is not to provide feedback on individual applicants...I only got one program to actually sit down on the phone with me to go over the play-by-play on why they passed on my application, but that was the same program I got my MPH from ... so it was more of a under the table / out of courtesy thing lol ??

1 minute ago, EpiNYC said:

May I ask what did you write to these programs to elicit some feedback? Because when I've done that in the past, most of the time they just quote their policy which is not to provide feedback on individual applicants...I only got one program to actually sit down on the phone with me to go over the play-by-play on why they passed on my application, but that was the same program I got my MPH from ... so it was more of a under the table / out of courtesy thing lol ??

Of course. Here's what I sent to the program directors:

Dear Program Director,

I trust you are well. My name is [Rejected Applicant], and last year we spoke because of my interest in the Health Services Research doctoral program at Brown University. About a month ago, I received a rejection notification about my application.  

In the spirit of feedback for my personal development and career as a future academic, would you be able to share areas where I was lacking in my application, or possibly, how to submit a stronger application for the next cycle?

Your feedback would be most appreciated! Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Best, 

[Rejected Applicant]

Just received a rejection email from BU (Boston University) Epidemiology PhD program. I am still waiting to hear from Yale, Columbia, and Harvard, although I'm assuming Harvard was a rejection based on previous posts here. 

Has anyone heard from Columbia Epi or Yale Epi?

1 hour ago, 2021epiphd said:

Just received a rejection email from BU (Boston University) Epidemiology PhD program. I am still waiting to hear from Yale, Columbia, and Harvard, although I'm assuming Harvard was a rejection based on previous posts here. 

Has anyone heard from Columbia Epi or Yale Epi?

Not sure about chronic, but Yale’s ID epi interviews are this week so if you haven’t heard back I don’t think it’s good news (though don’t know for certain!). They are having a difficult funding year, though, so I definitely wouldn’t take it personally!