PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

1 minute ago, denify said:

not heard from columbia Epi yet... still waiting . The last email I got said there will be interviews conducted for some applicants but not all that applied and I should hear around March 5th... 

Oh okay thanks! I wonder if that means that arent planning on interviewing everyone they want to accept or if you dont get an interview you wont be accepted...

21 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Hey everyone, just got a rejection via email from Rutgers PhD for epi. Happy Friday! 

I got rejected as well. I kind of had a feeling this was coming soon. Someone told me they had conducted interviews in January. I am not sure if it was the same track but...

Trying to stay positive! 

14 minutes ago, asn621 said:

Oh okay thanks! I wonder if that means that arent planning on interviewing everyone they want to accept or if you dont get an interview you wont be accepted...

I know, I was wondering that too, but someone from last year wrote that interviews are conducted for PhD Epi in columbia so i am assuming there will be interviews...

Hi all,

My statuses thus far (all PhDs):

JHU Mental Health - No updates

JHU HPM - Interviewed in January and Waitlisted on 2/4

Harvard PhD in Health Policy - No updates

UC Denver Health & Behavioral Sciences - Waitlisted (received an e-mail today, 2/12)

Georgia MPH/Community Psychology PhD - No updates, Interviewing

Fingers crossed extra tightly for the JHU programs. Best of luck to you all!

Edited by randomnamehere

42 minutes ago, asn621 said:

It's the latter... 

On 2/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, publichealthPhD said:

Just got my rejection from Brown's HSR program. This was expected as I wasn't interviewed. 3/4 rejections so far. The 4th will come soon, as I haven't been interviewed there. I'm going to need to regroup and re-strategize for next year's cycle.

I've been working in maternal and child health space for 12 years, am a returned Peace Corps Volunteer, I graduated with my MPH from Johns Hopkins where I won an award for my capstone research project. I worked on monitoring and evaluation of global maternal and child health programs for a few years post-MPH, and for the last three years I've been working as a researcher at a Harvard SPH lab. I have first authored 2 papers, second-authored 3 papers, and am a middle author in some others. I did not submit my GREs unless required. I'm interested in the intersection of MCH quality of care and implementation science. My recommenders are well-known in the field.

I'm writing all of this to contribute to the ongoing conversation on this forum to de-stigmatize rejection. I'm trying to view this as an opportunity rather than a failure. I only applied to schools that were geographically close this year due to covid, so next year I'll get to expand my search a bit more. Hopefully that will make it easier to find a better match.  I'm using this year to regroup, gain more experience, and to identify programs that might be a better fit. (And maybe try for a kid pre-PhD!).

This has been a great forum! It's good to know that there are so many up-and-coming, qualified, passionate public health researchers. We need it! Good luck to you all!

Just want to give you EVEN MORE kudos for this post- I'm in substance use/HIV for 10+ years and have had a rough go of it in terms of PhD cycles. This year has been my "lets find a school that won't dramatically alter my life" cycle and next year I guess will be a much different approach. Thanks for this again. 

39 minutes ago, worldpeace said:

It's the latter... 

1 hour ago, denify said:

I know, I was wondering that too, but someone from last year wrote that interviews are conducted for PhD Epi in columbia so i am assuming there will be interviews...

1 hour ago, asn621 said:

Thanks for sharing the info on Columbia Epi! I haven't even gotten an update email (uhhhhhhh...) so guessing that's not a great sign. Based on my deductions of what's on their website I thought they didn't do interviews. Sigh. Thank you a million for sharing the info!! This is literally the only way I know what is going on.

17 minutes ago, moosepup said:

Thanks for sharing the info on Columbia Epi! I haven't even gotten an update email (uhhhhhhh...) so guessing that's not a great sign. Based on my deductions of what's on their website I thought they didn't do interviews. Sigh. Thank you a million for sharing the info!! This is literally the only way I know what is going on.

I applied to Columbia epi 2 years ago, and just checked that my interview request came on 2/11! I remember it seeming like a really late process at the time. So don’t give up hope! 

I have a question for the group - I am incredibly lucky and was recently accepted into one of my top choices. I was just today invited to interview at a school that I would be unlikely to go to over this top pick. Both schools would require a really, really big move/life change, but my top pick is a better academic fit for me and the location is better for my spouse's career.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have the interview opportunity and do not take that lightly at all! But I am leaning towards politely declining the interview out of respect for the interviewers' time/efforts (and to open up a spot to other candidates sooner). 

I'm not totally sure what the "right" action is here. I would really value the perspective of those going through this process - what would you do?

Edited by Going4DrPH

14 minutes ago, Going4DrPH said:

I have a question for the group - I am incredibly lucky and was recently accepted into one of my top choices. I was just today invited to interview at a school that I would be unlikely to go to over this top pick. Both schools would require a really, really big move/life change, but my top pick is a better academic fit for me and the location is better for my spouse's career.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have the interview opportunity and do not take that lightly at all! But I am leaning towards politely declining the interview out of respect for the interviewers' time/efforts (and to open up a spot to other candidates sooner). 

I'm not totally sure what the "right" action is here. I would really value the perspective of those going through this process - what would you do?

It's totally fine to politely decline an interview request, and you're absolutely right that they'll appreciate you allowing them to direct their energy towards a candidate who might say yes. 

13 minutes ago, drunkenduck said:

It's totally fine to politely decline an interview request, and you're absolutely right that they'll appreciate you allowing them to direct their energy towards a candidate who might say yes. 

Yes! I second this. I withdrew my application for consideration at a school after interviewing because the cultural fit was non-existent. I did so respectfully and politely and they seemed to appreciate my saving them the time and freeing up a spot (they also asked for feedback, which was much appreciated!). If I had known it wasn’t a good fit, I would have declined moving forward in the process, for sure. 

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who have gotten good news and fingers crossed for everyone still waiting! Has anyone heard back from Boston University Environmental Health PHD program? I have heard nothing...not sure if they're doing interviews or not. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Mel_phd said:

Hi everyone! Congrats to those who have gotten good news and fingers crossed for everyone still waiting! Has anyone heard back from Boston University Environmental Health PHD program? I have heard nothing...not sure if they're doing interviews or not. Thanks!

BUSPH had a doctoral students day today for their second and final round of interviews (as well as welcome and program introductions from the dean and various chairs). This included about 60 prospective students across all the programs at BUSPH. They said the decisions will come out in two weeks 

Edited by Notwherebutwhen
More info

1 hour ago, Notwherebutwhen said:

BUSPH had a doctoral students day today for their second and final round of interviews (as well as welcome and program introductions from the dean and various chairs). This included about 60 prospective students across all the programs at BUSPH. They said the decisions will come out in two weeks 

Hey. Was it for DrPH program as well?