PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

Hi all, some (grim) updates from me:

Rejected from: Hopkins Epi, Brown Epi, and Emory Epi

Waiting on: Tulane Epi, Maryland EHS, and GW Epi 

That said, has anyone heard back from Tulane (I've seen rejections in this thread so wondering if they're sending out rejections before acceptances as a way to filter out some applicants?) It's currently my top choice out of the bunch due to its EJ focus in NOLA, location, and rather set funding package.

I was accepted into UC Berkeley's Environmental Health Sciences EHS program last night. 

Still haven't heard anything from most of the other schools I applied to (all EHS programs), but it feels great to finally have confirmation that I will be a PhD student next Fall at a school with a great research fit. 

14 hours ago, EJ_PhD said:

Hi all, some (grim) updates from me:

Rejected from: Hopkins Epi, Brown Epi, and Emory Epi

Waiting on: Tulane Epi, Maryland EHS, and GW Epi 

That said, has anyone heard back from Tulane (I've seen rejections in this thread so wondering if they're sending out rejections before acceptances as a way to filter out some applicants?) It's currently my top choice out of the bunch due to its EJ focus in NOLA, location, and rather set funding package.

I just actually got an email from Tulane HPM asking for more information about my application. I was really worried I hadn't gotten in because it had been almost a month since my interview without anything. But it sounds like maybe this week or next week they'll release acceptances for public health programs? Don't hold me on that though I feel very clueless about these timelines. 

23 hours ago, Going4DrPH said:

I have a question for the group - I am incredibly lucky and was recently accepted into one of my top choices. I was just today invited to interview at a school that I would be unlikely to go to over this top pick. Both schools would require a really, really big move/life change, but my top pick is a better academic fit for me and the location is better for my spouse's career.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have the interview opportunity and do not take that lightly at all! But I am leaning towards politely declining the interview out of respect for the interviewers' time/efforts (and to open up a spot to other candidates sooner). 

I'm not totally sure what the "right" action is here. I would really value the perspective of those going through this process - what would you do?

For me I would probably still take the interviews. I take interviews as opportunities to learn, to take career advice, and to interact and make connections (so, it's not a waste of their efforts/time - unless they themselves feel it's an obligation and not interested in knowing more about me as a person). Programs are fully aware that students might choose other schools, so they invite more people to interviews than what they could offer admissions. If you decide not to attend after getting accepted/interviewed, there would probably already be someone who has gone through the interview process to take the spot. 

2 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

For me I would probably still take the interviews. I take interviews as opportunities to learn, to take career advice, and to interact and make connections (so, it's not a waste of their efforts/time - unless they themselves feel it's an obligation and not interested in knowing more about me as a person). Programs are fully aware that students might choose other schools, so they invite more people to interviews than what they could offer admissions. If you decide not to attend after getting accepted/interviewed, there would probably already be someone who has gone through the interview process to take the spot. 

Thanks for the input! Appreciate this perspective.

10 hours ago, PHealth121 said:

hi all, happy weekend. 

Curious if anyone has heard from the SBS program at Yale (or interviewed for it?) or JHU International Health SBI (or interviewed for it?). Thanks! 

Yale had a student panel for prospective students last Wednesday for all departments, which made it seem like all interview invites had gone out. 

13 hours ago, PHealth121 said:

hi all, happy weekend. 

Curious if anyone has heard from the SBS program at Yale (or interviewed for it?) or JHU International Health SBI (or interviewed for it?). Thanks! 

JHU SBI interviews were mid January - I think decisions will be coming out soon? Not sure if interviews were required, but each track has room for 2-3 students!

Hello Everyone! 

I interviewed with Boston and Georgia State for Epi recently! 

I have not heard back from Columbia, NYU, UNC, Cal, Tulane, Maryland, LSU, and UIC for Epi, and CUNY (CHHP). I saw that people have interviewed or been accepted to some of these programs soooo I'm expecting rejections. I wish they would just send them already. ??

55 minutes ago, EpiPhD7 said:

I have not heard back from Columbia, NYU, UNC, Cal, Tulane, Maryland, LSU, and UIC for Epi, and CUNY (CHHP). I saw that people have interviewed or been accepted to some of these programs soooo I'm expecting rejections. I wish they would just send them already. ??

FYI,

NYU GPH is holding a Ph.D. Interview Day tomorrow. Based on their agenda, all department chairs will be present (including epi). 

Interviewed and pending decisions: UCLA, BU, Emory, NYU

No interview invites, silence: USC

Anyone heard back from UCLA CHS yet? I interviewed with them three weeks ago. I saw that someone got an acceptance few weeks back on the results page, so I'm now expecting a rejection. 

USC HBR is probably a rejection, since I saw few interview invites and acceptance on the results page already. 

We had few people on this thread receive their acceptance letters from Emory last weekend, so I'm also expecting a rejection email to hit my inbox soon. 

8 minutes ago, Notwherebutwhen said:

Interviewed and pending decisions: UCLA, BU, Emory, NYU

No interview invites, silence: USC

Anyone heard back from UCLA CHS yet? I interviewed with them three weeks ago. I saw that someone got an acceptance few weeks back on the results page, so I'm now expecting a rejection. 

USC HBR is probably a rejection, since I saw few interview invites and acceptance on the results page already. 

We had few people on this thread receive their acceptance letters from Emory last weekend, so I'm also expecting a rejection email to hit my inbox soon. 

I also am waiting to hear back from Emory - but you never know! I know a lot of schools don't let everyone know at once as there are generally a bunch of moving pieces to the admissions process - so I'm holding out a bit of hope. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, phdhopeful14 said:

I also am waiting to hear back from Emory - but you never know! I know a lot of schools don't let everyone know at once as there are generally a bunch of moving pieces to the admissions process - so I'm holding out a bit of hope. Good luck!

I hope you are right! I know that this cycle was more competitive than previous ones, so I'm also not holding my breath either. I'm just considering myself fortunate to make it this far in the cycle with multiple interviews—even if they ended up as rejections. Good luck to you too! 

2 minutes ago, Notwherebutwhen said:

I hope you are right! I know that this cycle was more competitive than previous ones, so I'm also not holding my breath either. I'm just considering myself fortunate to make it this far in the cycle with multiple interviews—even if they ended up as rejections. Good luck to you too! 

Agreed! Just feel lucky to have interviewed - but admission would certainly be a bonus!