PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

38 minutes ago, IAAJ said:

GW said straight up in their email when they received our applications that they would send decisions in March, wo I didn't expect any correspondence. 

It's still an annoying wait though. But March is here in 12 days lol. So we'll be fine. 

Lol the wait is definitely getting to me. March can't come soon enough! Fingers crossed for good news for all of us :) 

3 minutes ago, ProspectivePhD said:

hey guys!

program update: i reached out to HBHE's student director and she said that all interview invites have been offered. i really do wish that programs would send out rejection emails sooner rather than leave folks in limbo.

AGREED. It’s so frustrating!

Edited by ASA15

2 hours ago, ChiccaChica said:

Has anyone heard from Rutgers Health Systems and Policy or UMass Amherst Community Health Education?

Hi! I know the forum from last year is gone, but I know people were reached out to around early March (March 2nd) for the UMass CHE program. I remember people saying to make sure you also completed their SPIRE supplementary application as that can delay the process a little bit if you do not :) I am not sure if interviews are required, but I do remember they reached out to some to get a better idea of faculty matches/more information.

I hope this helps, wishing you the absolute best! 

Edited by PhDEpixxx

26 minutes ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

No, we’re all applying only to Harvard and JHU. We’re now judging you harshly for daring to ask about non-ultra-elite programs. 

Some of us are international students, I need to attend an university with international recognition otherwise many people would perceive me as a rich kid going to a random school if I decide to return to my home country. I might be less competitive compared to someone who went to a local but reputable university in my home country, and it is not about skillsets or training. Of course, this is an over-generalization but I'm sure many international students would resonate with me. Also by the time I graduate from my PhD, I will be over the age limit for some universities' post doc positions back in my country (cut-off age limit for many positions are 35, ageism is real and clearly stated in recruitment postings), which does not help at all. And oftentimes it's not up to me if I need to return to my country or not due to visa constraints. 

I know you are just trolling. But still offering my perspectives and experiences. There are many less overall ranked university that have great programs and great mentors, but unfortunately I can't pick them. It is actually my loss and very unfortunate. 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

17 hours ago, HP_2021 said:

Has anyone received unofficial acceptances from PIs and if so were they clearly unofficial acceptances or did you have to read into it...

Hey! I got an email from a Tulane epi PI after some back and forth saying "we accepted you into our program", but haven't received an official acceptance yet. I wasn't interviewed. I talked to the PI and some of his students and feel excited about accepting the offer, but don't really know where to go from here since I haven't gotten official notice from the school yet...

8 minutes ago, FDawg said:

Hey! I got an email from a Tulane epi PI after some back and forth saying "we accepted you into our program", but haven't received an official acceptance yet. I wasn't interviewed. I talked to the PI and some of his students and feel excited about accepting the offer, but don't really know where to go from here since I haven't gotten official notice from the school yet...

Thanks for the info! My email was actually from Tulane HPM. I interviewed about a month ago. This weekend the PI sent me a link with a project I would be working on if I joined their research group. So nothing officially saying acceptance, but sounds promising. I love the research at Tulane so really hoping for official notice from the school soon. 

1 hour ago, HP_2021 said:

Thanks for the info! My email was actually from Tulane HPM. I interviewed about a month ago. This weekend the PI sent me a link with a project I would be working on if I joined their research group. So nothing officially saying acceptance, but sounds promising. I love the research at Tulane so really hoping for official notice from the school soon. 

That definitely sounds promising!! Tulane is my only offer right now but glad it is as their program sounds great. Hey maybe we'll meet in person if we both join the program!

4 hours ago, ChiccaChica said:

Has anyone heard from Rutgers Health Systems and Policy or UMass Amherst Community Health Education?

Hello! My prospective mentor emailed me to let me know on February 5th that UMass faculty had "just met" to discuss applicants to CHE. Today, I received an acceptance by way of a fellowship award letter. All others, may be coming out veeeery soon! Ironically, my SPIRES account still says "Application Under Review."

4 minutes ago, dramatichealtheducator said:

Hello! My prospective mentor emailed me to let me know on February 5th that UMass faculty had "just met" to discuss applicants to CHE. Today, I received an acceptance by way of a fellowship award letter. All others, may be coming out veeeery soon! Ironically, my SPIRES account still says "Application Under Review."

Congratulations! That must be such an amazing feeling (and I'm sure it's well deserved!). Maybe our paths will cross at some point :) 

46 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Who else is still waiting on UCLA EPI??? The silence is killing me LOL

Hi! I totally get how you feel the waiting right now is literally the worst. I was accepted to UCLA Epi maybe a weekish ago, but it sounded like they do rolling admissions so I wouldn't lose hope! From the conversations I had with them, it really sounded like they were doing admissions in batches. Good luck!! Hopefully the waiting will be over soon!

4 minutes ago, ChiccaChica said:

Congratulations! That must be such an amazing feeling (and I'm sure it's well deserved!). Maybe our paths will cross at some point :) 

Thank you!!!  Yes, I've been snooping around this thread for a while but said ahhh, finally a post I can actually contribute to ?  I'm very happy and excited. Wishing you the best of luck and extending grace and warmth to you as you wait to hear back from schools.

Just now, epi2be said:

Hi! I totally get how you feel the waiting right now is literally the worst. I was accepted to UCLA Epi maybe a weekish ago, but it sounded like they do rolling admissions so I wouldn't lose hope! From the conversations I had with them, it really sounded like they were doing admissions in batches. Good luck!! Hopefully the waiting will be over soon!

Congratulations!!! And also I just emailed them and they responded pretty quick saying the Epi department will be completing their reviews and submitting their final decisions to the larger school by the end of this week. So just a little bit longer :) 

Out of curiosity, @epi2be, did you interview with anyone before receiving your acceptance? 

20 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Congratulations!!! And also I just emailed them and they responded pretty quick saying the Epi department will be completing their reviews and submitting their final decisions to the larger school by the end of this week. So just a little bit longer :) 

Out of curiosity, @epi2be, did you interview with anyone before receiving your acceptance? 

I was contacted by a POI and we had a brief phone call, but I wouldn't call it an interview! It was really informal. I got the sense that not everyone has to interview to be accepted (but I am not totally sure how they do admissions).

Edited by epi2be