PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

Just now, EH2021 said:

Did you already hear back from Boston? I thought they were sending out decisions early March

The director of epi just emailed. I think they released decisions for epi this afternoon. I saw on the results pages that someone got in! 

4 minutes ago, teabunny said:

Got a yes from Hopkins (International Health, Human Nutrition) and I'm in SHOCK. It took me so long to even admit to myself that I liked the program (to avoid getting disappointed lol) so hearing back so positively is absolutely mind boggling. Eek!

How/when did you hear back? I applied for GDEC...but not hearing much from anyone about it. Not sure when the decisions will come out. I keep refreshing... I really hoped to have peace of mind before the weekend ?

1 minute ago, Anon_Phd said:

How/when did you hear back? I applied for GDEC...but not hearing much from anyone about it. Not sure when the decisions will come out. I keep refreshing... I really hoped to have peace of mind before the weekend ?

I got an email from the dept's program manager that included the official letter (also detailed funding, which historically has been a pretty sore point for prospective students I think). I'm thinking that the next week-ish will be when they send out decisions? The letter did mention that virtual visit days are Feb 26 or Mar 26, so I'd guess that you'll get clarity very, very soon. Best of luck to you, friend! 

Just now, teabunny said:

I got an email from the dept's program manager that included the official letter (also detailed funding, which historically has been a pretty sore point for prospective students I think). I'm thinking that the next week-ish will be when they send out decisions? The letter did mention that virtual visit days are Feb 26 or Mar 26, so I'd guess that you'll get clarity very, very soon. Best of luck to you, friend! 

Thank you so much :) I need to learn patience... :D

Hi all, I've been lurking for about a month and finally decided to say hello. Here's what I've got so far:

• Rejected: Harvard PHS-SBS (did not interview), UW-Health Services (interviewed, but not surprised at the rejection as I don't think it was actually the best fit)
  • Wait-listed: Johns Hopkins-SBS
  • Interviewed and waiting: UCLA-CHS, UNC Chapel Hill-Health Behavior, CUNY-Epi
  • No word: Columbia-Epi, Berkeley-Epi, NYU-SBS, Yale-SBS

And then I sort of have good news from the University of Minnesota Epi program. They don't seem to do interviews, but they're being really transparent about the process, which I love! They were the first school to contact me in January; they told me that I had moved on to the second stage and would now attempt to find an advisor and funding for me. They said they would let me know exactly what stage my application was in if/when I was curious. I reached out the other day and they told me I had an advisor match who was currently awaiting but optimistic about a grant decision. It's nice to be able to see into the process because I imagine similar things are happening with lots of folks on here at other schools - we just don't see it. Given that things could break down at any step of that process, it's good to remember that often these decisions are at the mercy of external factors. Just thought I'd share. :)

25 minutes ago, spatial_epi said:

Hi all, I've been lurking for about a month and finally decided to say hello. Here's what I've got so far:

• Rejected: Harvard PHS-SBS (did not interview), UW-Health Services (interviewed, but not surprised at the rejection as I don't think it was actually the best fit)
  • Wait-listed: Johns Hopkins-SBS
  • Interviewed and waiting: UCLA-CHS, UNC Chapel Hill-Health Behavior, CUNY-Epi
  • No word: Columbia-Epi, Berkeley-Epi, NYU-SBS, Yale-SBS

And then I sort of have good news from the University of Minnesota Epi program. They don't seem to do interviews, but they're being really transparent about the process, which I love! They were the first school to contact me in January; they told me that I had moved on to the second stage and would now attempt to find an advisor and funding for me. They said they would let me know exactly what stage my application was in if/when I was curious. I reached out the other day and they told me I had an advisor match who was currently awaiting but optimistic about a grant decision. It's nice to be able to see into the process because I imagine similar things are happening with lots of folks on here at other schools - we just don't see it. Given that things could break down at any step of that process, it's good to remember that often these decisions are at the mercy of external factors. Just thought I'd share. :)

That's awesome about Minnesota! You've encouraged me to check in about where they are in the advisor matching/funding process. Thanks so much for sharing and good luck!

I have heard back from all my schools, and will be accepting at UMass Amherst for CHE PhD. I have not yet confirmed this with the school. I am waiting to speak with my prospective mentor next week about the specifics of the fellowship I was awarded, so I have a better understanding of what I'm getting myself into financially. While not an "elite" school, it's a great fit for me as an arts-based researcher in Public Health and Arts in Health and I want to stay closer to home (New Jersey) because of some family matters. Nevertheless, I'm super excited! This was my first application cycle and only applied to 3 programs (it's really hard as an arts-based researcher in PH finding a good fit). Posting here in case others get accepted or decide to attend UMass, as I'd love to connect off the forum! Also happy to connect more generally if you're interested in how the arts can compliment public health research and programming. You can find me on IG @dramatichealtheducator. Good luck to you all. What is for you, is already yours. It might take a little work, but it is yours. This forum has been helpful, and I appreciate the grace you all share with each other. 

5 minutes ago, dramatichealtheducator said:

I have heard back from all my schools, and will be accepting at UMass Amherst for CHE PhD. I have not yet confirmed this with the school. I am waiting to speak with my prospective mentor next week about the specifics of the fellowship I was awarded, so I have a better understanding of what I'm getting myself into financially. While not an "elite" school, it's a great fit for me as an arts-based researcher in Public Health and Arts in Health and I want to stay closer to home (New Jersey) because of some family matters. Nevertheless, I'm super excited! This was my first application cycle and only applied to 3 programs (it's really hard as an arts-based researcher in PH finding a good fit). Posting here in case others get accepted or decide to attend UMass, as I'd love to connect off the forum! Also happy to connect more generally if you're interested in how the arts can compliment public health research and programming. You can find me on IG @dramatichealtheducator. Good luck to you all. What is for you, is already yours. It might take a little work, but it is yours. This forum has been helpful, and I appreciate the grace you all share with each other. 

Congrats on the big decision! I'm sure this is a HUGE burden lifted off your shoulders, take some time this weekend to celebrate!

31 minutes ago, dramatichealtheducator said:

Congrats!!

2 hours ago, teabunny said:

Got a yes from Hopkins (International Health, Human Nutrition) and I'm in SHOCK. It took me so long to even admit to myself that I liked the program (to avoid getting disappointed lol) so hearing back so positively is absolutely mind boggling. Eek!

Congratulations!! That’s great news. I’ve applied to the international health, health systems track. It’s my top choice and I’m so anxious right now. 

22 hours ago, mr444 said:

Hi everyone, I don't know how to process emotions well and I am still in shock but I just received notice of my acceptance from Johns Hopkins into their Mental Health PhD program. For the past week I have been feeling so much anxiety waiting for their response to the point where each time I slept, I had a dream that I received a response (both good and bad) from them. I'm happy to say I can finally sleep in peace after this! Lol Anyways, before I tell the rest of my friends, I felt the need to come on here and share this news with you all. I just want you all to know how grateful I am to have found a community as supportive as yourselves. You have all been so encouraging through this process and it made it easer for me to handle each rejection I faced (UWash, Boston, Michigan, and Brown). You all taught me to handle rejection as a redirection, and I was beginning to come to terms that if this year wasn't my year then I would simply have to try again. This is my second time applying to doctoral programs btw. Nonetheless, I appreciate you all and hope you all receive great news soon. May the universe bless you during this time. 

Oh wow! Congrats!!! I received an offer as well and would love to connect!! 

Congrats to everyone! We will all end up where we are meant to be! 

3 hours ago, PHPhDApplicant said:

Anyone heard final decisions from:

JHU SBI program within International Health 

UNC Health Behavior 

I think all IH decisions at JHU were sent out last night. I haven’t heard from UNC health behavior since the interview in early February! I think they said decisions would come out by the end of the month? 

3 hours ago, PHPhDApplicant said:

Anyone heard final decisions from:

JHU SBI program within International Health 

UNC Health Behavior 

46 minutes ago, PhDProgramSocialBehavior said:

I think all IH decisions at JHU were sent out last night. I haven’t heard from UNC health behavior since the interview in early February! I think they said decisions would come out by the end of the month? 

I haven't heard anything from UNC Health Behavior since the interview stage, either! Fingers crossed for you both! 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, epijustice said:

When all is done for this cycle, we should all get together at some stage to come up with a singular document of "Things I wish I knew before applying for a public health PhD". There are so many pearls in this thread that deserve to be written nicely for future applicants. For example, knowing that Harvard has a very strong preference for internal masters' applicants is helpful. Knowing that Tulane likes its applicants to reach out early to faculty of interest is helpful. Knowing about funding is helpful. And the list goes on...  Such a document will help prospective applicants and re-applicants manage their time and also strengthen their chances of being accepted.

Great idea! The 2020 thread has a compiled list of funding for different schools, and that certainly helped me decide on programs to apply to, unfortunately that whole thread is gone. 

Re. preferences for internal applicants, because the committee might already know you and your advisor wants to continue working with you, that will give you some leverage in a lot of programs if not all of them. Harvard PHS enrolls 40ish applicants/yr, on average if I remember it correctly about 12 of them had Harvard masters (source: info session), which isn't that bad (given that they have so many master students). 

Sometimes it really depends on luck and the applicant pool, e.g. if the POI has a student/staff who worked with them for years is applying this cycle, the chance of me getting accepted might be very slim, but next year it might be a different story. 

Re. reaching out to faculty, it might not help but would never hurt unless it specifically stated somewhere that do not do so. At least some POIs will let you know if they are not taking advisees, then that helps save some application fees :). 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

Hi everyone! 

I know it's real late but noticed that Epi program at Pittsburgh has a deadline till April 1st, so I'm considering to apply by the end of this weekend. Does anyone know how long the personal statement should be for the PhD program? Tried to find the info on SOPHAS and the university website but seems like they don't have a specific word limit?