PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

3 hours ago, NervousDrPH said:

Hi everyone,

I have lurked for far too long, but this space has given me so much life through this process! Thanks everyone. A quick question, has anyone received an acceptance or heard back from Harvard’s DrPH program? I haven’t heard anything yet and quite anxious...even though really...one can only hold on to hope ?

Harvard DrPH conducted first round interviews starting in mid-Jan, and then I believe second rounds end of Jan/early Feb (I got a first round and was told they do two - it's been radio silence ever since my first, oh well). There were a couple folks who posted about being waitlisted maybe a week or so ago? No rejections sent yet to my knowledge...? 

1 hour ago, researchlover11 said:

Hi everyone,

I finally got accepted to a program (yay! it only takes one!). My acceptance letter talked about receiving some funding, and that information will come later. Do you know if you get that information before accepting the offer, or do you have to accept to receive the details?

Congratulations on your acceptance!! :DThat is exactly what I have told myself since I decided to apply.

I would imagine you'd get that information before having to accept; I would definitely reach out in a week if you hadn't heard any follow up - I think that's super fair.

13 hours ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Anyone heard anything from JHU - International Health, Health Systems track since the interview? 

waitlisted... 

i applied 2 programs and both got waitlist, well, i will continue my current job and apply for next year...

11 minutes ago, PHD2021 said:

waitlisted... 

i applied 2 programs and both got waitlist, well, i will continue my current job and apply for next year...

Oh, did somebody email you directly or did you get a notification to check the portal? 

10 hours ago, researchlover11 said:

Hi everyone,

I finally got accepted to a program (yay! it only takes one!). My acceptance letter talked about receiving some funding, and that information will come later. Do you know if you get that information before accepting the offer, or do you have to accept to receive the details?

That is something they should send to you before you accept the offer. I have gotten a few offers so far, and for a couple of them I got the funding info in the acceptance letter and for others I got the funding information within two weeks of being accepted. If after 2-3 weeks you still haven't received any information, I would reach out.

CONGRATS ?

To those of you who have been rejected - have you considered reaching back to the program and asking for feedback on your application? If I don't get in anywhere and I apply again next year, I would like to know how to improve my application but I dunno if anyone would give me any actual feedback. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, niram said:

To those of you who have been rejected - have you considered reaching back to the program and asking for feedback on your application? If I don't get in anywhere and I apply again next year, I would like to know how to improve my application but I dunno if anyone would give me any actual feedback. Thoughts?

When I got Emory rejection, I had asked for feedback. It was very generic. I have heard its always nice to know, but with the number of applicants being higher this year. They probably cannot give individual feedback. 

But I wish we could get one, will help us so much. 

1 hour ago, InternationalpHD said:

I have a quick question for everyone. I have been accepted into the DrPH program at Claremont Graduate University without an interview, was wondering if anyone had any idea of the program? 

Was wondering the same. I was accepted as well!!

Hi everyone, I have a question that is bothering me for a while... I already received admission from program A (which is a very good program). My current advisor suggests that I will have a more competitive research background next year (because I’ll have 1-2 first-author pubs. For now, I do not have any pubs). Thus, he strongly recommends me to try for another year if it ends up that program A is my only choice. However, from my perspective, I am not sure whether 1-2 pubs can be a big addition to my background. If considering my boyfriend's workplace, program A is already an excellent choice for both of us (easy to relocate), unless I can get admission to Stanford/Harvard/UW. I doubt whether it is worthwhile to gap for another year... (yes, this year is my first gap year)

Thank you!!

Edited by yukikirito

13 minutes ago, yukikirito said:

Hi everyone, I have a question that is bothering me for a while... I already received admission from program A (which is a very good program). My current advisor suggests that I will have a more competitive research background next year (because I’ll have 1-2 first-author pubs. For now, I do not have any pubs). Thus, he strongly recommends me to try for another year if it ends up that program A is my only choice. However, from my perspective, I am not sure whether 1-2 pubs can be a big addition to my background. If considering my boyfriend's workplace, program A is already an excellent choice for both of us (easy to relocate), unless I can get admission to Stanford/Harvard/UW. I doubt whether it is worthwhile to gap for another year... (yes, this year is my first gap year)

Thank you!!

You seem happy with Program A. How is the funding? How is the research match? Will you be working with an advisor you’re excited about?

If the answer to all the above is positive, I’m not sure why you’d delay. 

24 minutes ago, yukikirito said:

Thank you!!

Hi, I have the same question as well, so I got into a couple of good programs but not top tier epidemiology programs. I will also have 2-3 first-author pubs if I choose to gap another year and probably can work as a biostatistician in between (I am a part-time biostatistician in this project now). I guess my biggest concern is that I will not be able to have as many research/networking opportunities as I could in bigger schools and my goal is to stay in academia after grad program. 

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Edited by sashimi

8 minutes ago, sashimi said:

Hi, I have the same question as well, so I got into a couple of good programs but not top tier epidemiology programs. I will also have 2-3 first-author pubs if I choose to gap another year and probably can work as a biostatistician in between (I am a part-time biostatistician in this project now). I guess my biggest concern is that I will not be able to have as many research/networking opportunities as I could in bigger schools and my goal is to stay in academia after grad program. 

Thank you in advance for your help!!

I'm on the same page as @ASA15. The rank is one piece of the puzzle (and obviously more important if you're trying to stay in academia) but so is your advisor match, the city you'll be living in, the funding and impact on your quality of life, etc. etc. If it was me, and most of those conditions seemed to be met, I would want to accept an offer this year and keep the momentum going to attend in the Fall. Again, that's a personal preference and my outlook is - regardless of where I go (within reason :)), there will be good things that come out of it. 

2 minutes ago, EpiZero63 said:

For those who applied, Just received a rejection from UCSF Epi PhD without an interview. Good luck to all those still in the running. 

Same!

2 hours ago, InternationalpHD said:

I have a quick question for everyone. I have been accepted into the DrPH program at Claremont Graduate University without an interview, was wondering if anyone had any idea of the program? 

Hello, from what I heard the program isn't doing so well. This is coming from professors who have connections to other professors in that program. I applied last year as well and was also accepted to their DrPH program but chose to not attend just because I wasn't excited about it. They also don't support students with a good scholarship or funding so I didn't want to go in debt for a program I wasn't sure about. I would recommend asking about funding and reaching out to professors to try to understand their perspectives of the program and gain some insight. Best of luck on your decision! 

11 minutes ago, mr444 said:

Hello, from what I heard the program isn't doing so well. This is coming from professors who have connections to other professors in that program. I applied last year as well and was also accepted to their DrPH program but chose to not attend just because I wasn't excited about it. They also don't support students with a good scholarship or funding so I didn't want to go in debt for a program I wasn't sure about. I would recommend asking about funding and reaching out to professors to try to understand their perspectives of the program and gain some insight. Best of luck on your decision! 

@mr444 Thank you so much for the comment and suggestions. I have set up a meeting with their academic supervisor and will definitely ask about funding and reach of the program.

I haven't heard back from any of my top choices such as UCLA, Yale, NYU Berkeley, Drexel and Pitt. It has been radio silence. So this has been the only positive reply since December, hence I got excited. 

16 minutes ago, InternationalpHD said:

@mr444 Thank you so much for the comment and suggestions. I have set up a meeting with their academic supervisor and will definitely ask about funding and reach of the program.

I haven't heard back from any of my top choices such as UCLA, Yale, NYU Berkeley, Drexel and Pitt. It has been radio silence. So this has been the only positive reply since December, hence I got excited. 

I completely understand. I was rejected from all my top programs and was only accepted to Claremont's DrPH program last year.