PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

2 hours ago, ProspectivePhD said:

I just accepted to Tulane's SBPS PhD Program!!!

2 hours ago, HP_2021 said:

Congrats! I just got into Tulane too for the HPM PHD program! Super excited!

Did you have interviews for the respective programs? I'm still waiting on the Epi program and it's been radio silent

On 2/22/2021 at 12:18 PM, CommunityHealth21 said:

Has anyone heard back form UIC MCH program?

Update: I just heard back from them I got into the program! 

Also this morning I got waitlisted for JHU Population and Family Health 

Hi friends. I had an interview today for a program and left a little confused about how their funding works. Is it normal for programs to send acceptance without funding information and start the process to decide funding and GA/RA positions after that? I always figured an acceptance would come with funding information and some information about the potential GA/RA position. Am I totally off base? Or does it depend on the school?

Thank you in advance for your input!

7 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Hi friends. I had an interview today for a program and left a little confused about how their funding works. Is it normal for programs to send acceptance without funding information and start the process to decide funding and GA/RA positions after that? I always figured an acceptance would come with funding information and some information about the potential GA/RA position. Am I totally off base? Or does it depend on the school?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Congrats on the interview!

To your question: Totally dependent on the school, so I wouldn’t worry too much. I say this for the programs where positions are abundant, not those Hunger Games type programs where you’re having to knife fight in the basement for a job every year. 

wondering whether people really make their decisions on 4/15.. I received an offer from my second-choice school, but is still waiting for my top school (but i know the chance is low, because I didn't receive interview invites). One of my previous professor suggests me to make decision ASAP... because there are students on the waitlist.. 

6 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Congrats on the interview!

To your question: Totally dependent on the school, so I wouldn’t worry too much. I say this for the programs where positions are abundant, not those Hunger Games type programs where you’re having to knife fight in the basement for a job every year. 

Thank you! Super helpful to know this is somewhat standard. Definitely alleviating a little bit of panic

3 minutes ago, yukikirito said:

wondering whether people really make their decisions on 4/15.. I received an offer from my second-choice school, but is still waiting for my top school (but i know the chance is low, because I didn't receive interview invites). One of my previous professor suggests me to make decision ASAP... because there are students on the waitlist.. 

What's your first choice school/program? Asking because some schools seem to accept without interviews. 

4 minutes ago, yukikirito said:

I am waiting on hearing back from just one more program. Once I get news from them, I will probably decide within the week.

1 minute ago, yukikirito said:

Since I’m still logged in...

Definitely! People wait until the very very end. It sucks for folks on the waitlist but honestly, this is your life, your choice. I would never let the waitlist keep me from weighing my options for as long as I need, in order to make a decision (especially when the next one up may not be of any interest to my potential advisor).

With that said, if you know for a fact that you’re not going, then cut the program lose. 

2 minutes ago, LxRx said:

I am waiting on hearing back from just one more program. Once I get news from them, I will probably decide within the week.

what if they don't email you until ~ mid March ? If I accept an offer sent to me one month ago, it feels like I am saying 'hey, you are not my top choice' ?

5 minutes ago, yukikirito said:

what if they don't email you until ~ mid March ? If I accept an offer sent to me one month ago, it feels like I am saying 'hey, you are not my top choice' ?

Lol, that is probably a little bit true, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once you have the information you need, just make the choice quickly after that. If you are still waiting on information though, then don't stress about it :)

5 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Since I’m still logged in...

Definitely! People wait until the very very end. It sucks for folks on the waitlist but honestly, this is your life, your choice. I would never let the waitlist keep me from weighing my options for as long as I need, in order to make a decision (especially when the next one up may not be of any interest to my potential advisor).

With that said, if you know for a fact that you’re not going, then cut the program lose. 

aww thanks!! your words really make me feel better!! you're right, we should be really careful about our decisions. I'll take the offer if I do not receive the offer from my top school?

7 minutes ago, yukikirito said:

Harvard HP... I actually assume i am already out because I saw some threads here said they got interview invites.

Harvard HP will interview everyone they may accept and I think they have completed interviews (I interviewed with decision science track over two weeks ago). I think we are supposed to hear from them this week or next, and it is very reasonable to wait to hear from all the programs you have applied to before committing to a school. 

8 minutes ago, CovidPhD said:

Harvard HP will interview everyone they may accept and I think they have completed interviews (I interviewed with decision science track over two weeks ago). I think we are supposed to hear from them this week or next, and it is very reasonable to wait to hear from all the programs you have applied to before committing to a school. 

thank you for this update! hoping you hear back positive news soon!!

44 minutes ago, yukikirito said:

I wouldn't worry about it. They all know we're applying to multiple programs. Because of life stuff I only applied to 2 programs, since we can't move cities. The profs and students I talked to were a bit stressed out for my odds, and actually encouraged me to apply to more. Point being - they're not going to take it personally. They know this is a huge life decision, and things will get sorted after the April 15th deadline. ?

Hi everyone,

I have lurked for far too long, but this space has given me so much life through this process! Thanks everyone. A quick question, has anyone received an acceptance or heard back from Harvard’s DrPH program? I haven’t heard anything yet and quite anxious...even though really...one can only hold on to hope ?

1 hour ago, moosepup said:

I wouldn't worry about it. They all know we're applying to multiple programs. Because of life stuff I only applied to 2 programs, since we can't move cities. The profs and students I talked to were a bit stressed out for my odds, and actually encouraged me to apply to more. Point being - they're not going to take it personally. They know this is a huge life decision, and things will get sorted after the April 15th deadline. ?

thank you soooo much for your words! I'll make my decision carefully!! Also wish best luck to your applications!

Hi everyone,

I finally got accepted to a program (yay! it only takes one!). My acceptance letter talked about receiving some funding, and that information will come later. Do you know if you get that information before accepting the offer, or do you have to accept to receive the details?