PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

3 hours ago, nervousphd2021 said:

Thanks! I got that email, too. I know they mentioned we'll know more in the "coming weeks" (several weeks ago lol), but I just wish we had an idea of when we may know. It's almost March, so it has to be soon.....hopefully....

Yeah...I doubt if they will give us any additional info about funding before the "virtual accepted applicants day". My understanding is that we will never know whether we will be funded until we determine a project / a professor to work with since the GSRs are funded by individual faculty's grant. But maybe I am wrong. I guess you'd better contact them if you need the answer immediately! :)

Edited by NutrEpi

6 hours ago, sashimi said:

hello guys! Did anyone receive interviews from the epidemiology program at University of Southern California? We has the virtual visit two weeks ago and I havent heard anything yet. 

Hi, I haven't heard from them since the visit day. Is interview required for admission to USC Epi?

20 hours ago, nyc_epi_2021 said:

During my interview on Monday, they said they would contact me on Friday (2/19) with a timeline for acceptance/funding decisions. I'll keep you updated if I hear back.

I interviewed with Columbia epi earlier this week and was told they’d be meeting today (Friday) and that notifications might start coming next week. 

28 minutes ago, 2021epiphd said:

I interviewed with Columbia epi earlier this week and was told they’d be meeting today (Friday) and that notifications might start coming next week. 

Do you know if they interview everyone they accept?? As if I haven't received an interview invite yet. So I guess I am out.

Edited by HPM21

Hi everyone, I don't know how to process emotions well and I am still in shock but I just received notice of my acceptance from Johns Hopkins into their Mental Health PhD program. For the past week I have been feeling so much anxiety waiting for their response to the point where each time I slept, I had a dream that I received a response (both good and bad) from them. I'm happy to say I can finally sleep in peace after this! Lol Anyways, before I tell the rest of my friends, I felt the need to come on here and share this news with you all. I just want you all to know how grateful I am to have found a community as supportive as yourselves. You have all been so encouraging through this process and it made it easer for me to handle each rejection I faced (UWashington, Boston, Michigan, and Brown). You all taught me to handle rejection as a redirection, and I was beginning to come to terms that if this year wasn't my year then I would simply have to try again. This is my second time applying to doctoral programs btw. Nonetheless, I appreciate you all and hope you all receive great news soon. May the universe bless you during this time. 

An update for those who are also PhD in Health Policy appliers - have recieved a few rejections since last posting:

• Stanford - ?
  • Berkeley - rejected 1/26
  • Johns Hopkins - interviewed mid-jan, rejected 2/4
  • Harvard - ?
  • Michigan - interviewed mid-jan, full offer 1/19 (woo!)
  • UCLA - no interview, full offer 2/5 (woo!)
  • Yale - ?
  • UNC - ?
  • Penn - rejected 2/19
  • USC - rejected 2/6
  • Brown - rejected 2/11

Notes: All basically Econ track, if there was one. USC was PubPol, Brown was HSR, Penn was Health Mgmt and Econ.

I'm not super hopeful on Harvard or Yale since it sounds like interviews may have gone out? But we'll see I guess.

Edited by jonpalisoc

1 hour ago, jonpalisoc said:

An update for those who are also PhD in Health Policy appliers - have recieved a few rejections since last posting:

• Stanford - ?
  • Harvard - ?
  • Yale - ?
  • UNC - ?
  • Penn - rejected 2/19
  • USC - rejected 2/6
  • Brown - rejected 2/11

Notes: All basically Econ track, if there was one. USC was PubPol, Brown was HSR, Penn was Health Mgmt and Econ.

I'm not super hopeful on Harvard or Yale since it sounds like interviews may have gone out? But we'll see I guess.

Congrats on your acceptances at Michigan and UCLA! I also applied for PhD in Health Policy and hold the same offers. Which program would you choose between the two? 

When all is done for this cycle, we should all get together at some stage to come up with a singular document of "Things I wish I knew before applying for a public health PhD". There are so many pearls in this thread that deserve to be written nicely for future applicants. For example, knowing that Harvard has a very strong preference for internal masters' applicants is helpful. Knowing that Tulane likes its applicants to reach out early to faculty of interest is helpful. Knowing about funding is helpful. And the list goes on...  Such a document will help prospective applicants and re-applicants manage their time and also strengthen their chances of being accepted.

15 minutes ago, epijustice said:

When all is done for this cycle, we should all get together at some stage to come up with a singular document of "Things I wish I knew before applying for a public health PhD". There are so many pearls in this thread that deserve to be written nicely for future applicants. For example, knowing that Harvard has a very strong preference for internal masters' applicants is helpful. Knowing that Tulane likes its applicants to reach out early to faculty of interest is helpful. Knowing about funding is helpful. And the list goes on...  Such a document will help prospective applicants and re-applicants manage their time and also strengthen their chances of being accepted.

That would be a good idea actually. I felt so lost in so many stages of this process 

3 minutes ago, Jbirdphd said:

I just heard from UCSD Health Behaviors PhD program that they haven’t yet started reviewing applications due to scheduling challenges.  So I’m assuming it will be a while until any word is given.  

Big yikes. Fingers crossed for you, and that they let everyone who applied know soon! 

2 hours ago, jonpalisoc said:

• Stanford - ?
  • Harvard - ?
  • Yale - ?
  • UNC - ?
  • Penn - rejected 2/19
  • USC - rejected 2/6
  • Brown - rejected 2/11

Thank you for sharing, and congratulations on your offers!! I interviewed with Stanford (economics track) two weeks ago and they said I should hear back around next week.

Hey folks, Apologies for posting this on PhD thread. I did not get into any programs for PhD yet but received acceptance to Harvard MPH in Global Health. I have not seen any other postings yet about it, so was not sure if this was a mistake or something. I saw a few epi MPH acceptance postings stating their scholarship amount. Did you. get the funding letter in the myharvard decision portal or the financial aid portal?? Just want to confirm if I am seeing things correctly!!

1 hour ago, kati2195 said:

Congrats on your acceptances at Michigan and UCLA! I also applied for PhD in Health Policy and hold the same offers. Which program would you choose between the two? 

I am a California native, so I would love to do UCLA, but to be completely honest, I think I'm leaning Michigan at the moment. UCLA seems like the choice if I want to do state policy, Michigan for more federal.

And I mean absolutely no disrespect to the programs and people there - they are both great - but UCLA seems a bit discombobulated. I recieved 4 separate emails congratulating me on my admission over the course of about a week, and each were phrased like they though they were the first to tell me. One professor offered to speak to me and offered dates which we scheduled, but then he thought we were meeting on an entirely different day so we had to schedule again. And he said he thought he would be my advisor, but he wasn't sure. Michigan sent all the info up front (advisor, funding, etc.), same day, with everyone on the same chain, and also offered more money and for all 4 years (UCLA only offers for 2 years, and it declines after year 1).

In the end, I don't really care about the above though - more about fit with advisors and the overall direction of the research of the department. And to that end, I think Michigan looks like the better fit. But I will be attending both admit days and chatting more to be sure!

Also, I'm very jealous that you interviewed with Harvard (and @HealthPolicy21 for Stanford) - good luck! My first choice and best fit professor there went to work for the Biden Admin so I'm thinking that really hurt my chances at an interview. TBH, I'm not sure Stanford is a great fit so if I don't get an offer I won't be too disappointed. Yale would be amazing, UNC too, but we'll see.

Edited by jonpalisoc