PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

2 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

That was me! Probably a good sign that you didn't receive an email today. Or at least not a bad sign :)

Dang it. Sorry. Hope it was on the bottom of your list. Was it an automated email or from an actual person? 

They are basically doing this as they go, based on my conversation with the program director, so not hearing back may mean nothing more than your last name coming before mine. ?

2 hours ago, Jbirdphd said:

Has anyone heard from USC Pop Health and Places?  I had some conversations with a faculty member in December (I initiated) and haven't heard anything other than they would make first rounds of cuts in early January.  

Hi! Today I was told that they are still working towards decisions and we should hear back in the next few weeks. Reading "few weeks" hurt lol

3 hours ago, globalphd said:

Decision sciences. I read somewhere they tend to tell everyone at the end of Feb but it seems like this year is a bit weird with COVID, so figured I would check. 

They said during the interview in early february that they needed at least 3 weeks, I think. And was told to expect to hear around end of feb early March.

Got accepted into the UC Irvine, Public Health PhD, Disease Prevention through an informal email from the admissions committee chair tonight.  Had a group interview last Friday. 

It's a nice relief after hearing how tough it is.  I was very worried.  I am 44 year old classical musician with a decent performing and college teaching career, teen age kids and bills.  A few years ago a I met a retired epi/biostatician from Johns Hopkins/Harvard selling some furniture on Facebook.  We became friends and then he hired me for research.  Never thought I would be doing this! 

I have three more to hear back from, but good luck to everyone.  

Edited by Jbirdphd

20 minutes ago, Jbirdphd said:

Got accepted into the UC Irvine, Public Health PhD, Disease Prevention through an informal email from the admissions committee chair tonight.  Had a group interview last Friday. 

It's a nice relief after hearing how tough it is.  I was very worried.  I am 44 year old classical musician with a decent performing and college teaching career, teen age kids and bills.  A few years ago a I met a retired epi/biostatician from Johns Hopkins/Harvard selling some furniture on Facebook.  We became friends and then he hired me for research.  Never thought I would be doing this! 

Congratulations!!!! Sounds like a very interesting career path! I would definitely want to be your classmate!!!!?

5 hours ago, globalphd said:

Decision sciences. I read somewhere they tend to tell everyone at the end of Feb but it seems like this year is a bit weird with COVID, so figured I would check. 

decision sciences too!! Did you have interviews? I didn't hear anything from them since I submitted the application..

6 hours ago, Jbirdphd said:

Congratulations!! You're going to LOVE UCI's public health department. I earned my MPH there and the faculty was just amazing. I had some classes with the PhD students and I heard really great things about the program. I hope you have a great experience there! :)

Edited by mr444

9 hours ago, EpiZero63 said:

Just got a rejection from Stanford Epi, expected so it’s on to the next one! God luck to all those who are still waiting to hear from them. 

I'm sorry about the rejection. Did you interview with them, or was this your first communication with them since you submitted your app?

42 minutes ago, LxRx said:

I'm sorry about the rejection. Did you interview with them, or was this your first communication with them since you submitted your app?

No, I didn’t interview with them, this was the first communication since submission. 

I appreciate how warm and encouraging folks in this forum are! Last year, I was devastated when I was rejected from Every.Single. Program that I applied to. I just wanted to share my experience with everyone, especially those who have not heard from any of the programs they applied to.

After receiving all the rejections, I took some time to reflect on ways to improve my application while pursuing other public health opportunities that I was interested in. I ended up consulting for two local organizations in my country on some really cool projects. And fortunately for me, things picked up at work due to COVID, and I ended up gaining more responsibilities and experience (I work in International development btw).

Last year, I applied to 6 schools. This time around, I applied to 7. I thoroughly researched the schools I was interested in and spoke to numerous faculty and current students. I typed up every answer they gave to my questions and read through them when I was writing my personal statement. This was extremely helpful to tailor my statement to each of the schools that I applied to. I revised my personal statement from last year and wove the past year's experience in the essay. I also understood what I wanted to research better, and I believe the time I spent reflecting on how to improve my applications was the cause. I listened to podcasts, watched YouTube videos, and stalked the faculty members' Twitter accounts I was interested in. It also helped to see what they were interested in and really understand their areas of expertise.

So far, I have been accepted to two programs without interviews (Temple University & OHSU). And I have also been interviewed for UMD, Duke and Vanderbilt. This is all to say, hang in there! Don't give up! If a PhD is what you want, and you didn't get into any programs this year, remember the wise words of Aaliyah: 

If at first you don't succeed

(First you don't succeed)

Then dust yourself off and try again

You can dust if off and try again, try again

Also, if y'all have "academic" Twitter accounts, I'd love to follow you. It would be nice to have this community when pursuing my PhD studies, and I would also love to help folks when they submit new applications. My Twitter handle is @nana_add0 ?.

Edited by fingazntoescrossd

Anyone hear anything from Columbia Epi PhD? I saw that someone posted their rejection in the Results page for the EHS PhD, so at least that department seems to be moving

This page for others that didn't realize there's a place to post interviews/accepts/rejections on here too: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Mailman&t=a&o=

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has information about the Epi PhD stipend at UNC Chapel Hill? The website says the following:

TA: Stipend = $7850 (in most cases)

RA: Stipend = NIH predoctoral level (in most cases), prorated if <12 month appointment

If anyone has some information about what the NIH predoctoral level is (I believe F31 predoctoral stipends are around $25,000/year) that would be so helpful! I am curious if y'all know any current/former students who have information about how many students usually find funding and what that looks like? Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

I appreciate how warm and encouraging folks in this forum are! Last year, I was devastated when I was rejected from Every.Single. Program that I applied to. I just wanted to share my experience with everyone, especially those who have not heard from any of the programs they applied to.

After receiving all the rejections, I took some time to reflect on ways to improve my application while pursuing other public health opportunities that I was interested in. I ended up consulting for two local organizations in my country on some really cool projects. And fortunately for me, things picked up at work due to COVID, and I ended up gaining more responsibilities and experience (I work in International development btw).

Last year, I applied to 6 schools. This time around, I applied to 7. I thoroughly researched the schools I was interested in and spoke to numerous faculty and current students. I typed up every answer they gave to my questions and read through them when I was writing my personal statement. This was extremely helpful to tailor my statement to each of the schools that I applied to. I revised my personal statement from last year and wove the past year's experience in the essay. I also understood what I wanted to research better, and I believe the time I spent reflecting on how to improve my applications was the cause. I listened to podcasts, watched YouTube videos, and stalked the faculty members' Twitter accounts I was interested in. It also helped to see what they were interested in and really understand their areas of expertise.

So far, I have been accepted to two programs without interviews (Temple University & OHSU). And I have also been interviewed for UMD, Duke and Vanderbilt. This is all to say, hang in there! Don't give up! If a PhD is what you want, and you didn't get into any programs this year, remember the wise words of Aaliyah: 

If at first you don't succeed

(First you don't succeed)

Then dust yourself off and try again

You can dust if off and try again, try again

Also, if y'all have "academic" Twitter accounts, I'd love to follow you. It would be nice to have this community when pursuing my PhD studies, and I would also love to help folks when they submit new applications. My Twitter handle is @nana_add0 ?.

Thank you for sharing your reflections! Going into this process I didn't realize how normal it is to have to apply multiple cycles. My husband got into HSPH his first time trying, which skewed my perspective a bit. ?

Followed you on Twitter! :)

1 hour ago, moosepup said:

Anyone hear anything from Columbia Epi PhD? I saw that someone posted their rejection in the Results page for the EHS PhD, so at least that department seems to be moving

This page for others that didn't realize there's a place to post interviews/accepts/rejections on here too: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Mailman&t=a&o=

During my interview on Monday, they said they would contact me on Friday (2/19) with a timeline for acceptance/funding decisions. I'll keep you updated if I hear back.

2 minutes ago, nyc_epi_2021 said:

During my interview on Monday, they said they would contact me on Friday (2/19) with a timeline for acceptance/funding decisions. I'll keep you updated if I hear back.

Thank you so so much!!!

22 minutes ago, epi2be said:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has information about the Epi PhD stipend at UNC Chapel Hill? The website says the following:

TA: Stipend = $7850 (in most cases)

RA: Stipend = NIH predoctoral level (in most cases), prorated if <12 month appointment

If anyone has some information about what the NIH predoctoral level is (I believe F31 predoctoral stipends are around $25,000/year) that would be so helpful! I am curious if y'all know any current/former students who have information about how many students usually find funding and what that looks like? Thank you so much!

Hello. I got a fellowship for USF’s community and family health PhD. It’s at the NIH level as well. It was 26k.