PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

3 hours ago, psychhopeful19 said:

So I followed up with the faculty I had my JHU Mental Health Interview with last week- no response yet

Anyone else heard of next steps/gotten next steps yet?  

Hello, I did a follow-up two weeks after my interview with one of the faculty who interviewed me and she said we would hear back this week. Best of luck! 

University of Arizona folks, here’s the response I got back after inquiring about the Health Behavior Health Promotion PhD program:

Thank you for your email. The admissions committee is currently reviewing all applications received in the first round, such as yours. Notices started going out as early as the first week of February and will continue all month through the month of March.”

Hi everyone! Some updates from me: 

Rejected: Harvard PHS 

Interviewed and pending response: BU Epi 

Offer of Admission: Brown HSR, JHU Epi, UNC Epi, University of Pittsburgh Epi

I am still in shock that I have been admitted to 4 amazing programs! This is my second time applying. I didn't get into any schools last cycle. I say this to encourage y'all to not give up. I started my application very early this cycle, got a couple publications in, networked with POIs, and spent A LOT of time on my personal statement! Wish you all the best of luck. 

Edited by Epi_researchjunkie

Just had my interview with the BU DrPH program today and I'm so pleased! The faculty seems to really love the program and I'm glad to know there are a number of supports in place for students.

I must say, I feel good about having interviewed. I know everyone they interview will be a strong candidate, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to talk about why I'm a good fit for the program and why my particular lens is important in public health. We shall see what happens since* it's a numbers game at this point. But I feel good with how I performed in the interview.

I was super excited after the interview, but I believe they said final admissions decisions will be made mid March. So I expect we will hear back in another month to month and a half.

Edited by IAAJ
(edited for my annoying typo lol)

5 minutes ago, IAAJ said:

Just had my interview with the BU DrPH program today and I'm so pleased! The faculty seems to really love the program and I'm glad to know there are a number of supports in place for students.

I must say, I feel good about having interviewed. I know everyone they interview will be a strong candidate, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to talk about why I'm a good fit for the program and why my particular lens is important in public health. We shall see sice it's a numbers game at this point. But I feel good with how I performed in the interview.

I was super excited after the interview, but I believe they said final admissions decisions will be made mid March. So I expect we will hear back in another month to month and a half.

Aw man. Your enthusiasm made me smile! This process can be so stressful that we forget why we want to do this. But moments like what you described really relight the match. So glad it went well and hope you hear back soon! 

This thread is humming with good news and positivity today—glad to see it! 

Just had my Columbia Epi Interview. It was rather chill and only with one Department of Epi Professor. Although it only lasted ~30 mins, we had great discussion and I was told that I confirmed my strengths so even if I felt I could have been more conversational, I guess it only helped my prospects. They didn't specify when they would notify of a decision but based on the mass email sent before, it looks like by March 1st is a good bet. Good luck to anyone else that had an interview with Columbia and I hope yours were equally as effective as mine! 

1 hour ago, IAAJ said:

I must say, I feel good about having interviewed. I know everyone they interview will be a strong candidate, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to talk about why I'm a good fit for the program and why my particular lens is important in public health. We shall see what happens since* it's a numbers game at this point. But I feel good with how I performed in the interview.

Hi! Would you mind sharing the date you applied for this program? I’m wondering if the committee is interviewing candidates following some kind of order based on the dates people applied for the program.

I saw on this forum that some people were interviewed early January. I even thought they were done interviewing. I was glad to see your message. Still some hope!

Edited by JLM_DrPH

13 minutes ago, JLM_DrPH said:

Hi! Would you mind sharing the date you applied to this program? I’m wondering if the committee is interviewing candidates following some kind of order based on the dates people applied to the program.

I saw in this forum that some people were interviewed early January. I even thought they were done interviewing. I was glad to see your message. Still some hope!

I applied at the December 1st deadline. (Tried to make sure I'm eligible for funding/priority deadline). I got the email asking to interview on January 11th and the only options available had been for February. I have no idea if they're doing the interviews in any type of chronological order based on when people applied.

Hope that helps!

When we're all DrPH/PhDs, do you want to:

(A) Stay in the academy 

(B) Government/NGO/Nonprofit 

(C) Industry 

(D) Other (Inspire us by sharing!) 

Add where are you now, too! 

I'll go first ? I'm currently with the VA and want to return to federal work, but also maintain an academic appointment! 

12 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

When we're all DrPH/PhDs, do you want to:

I have no post-doctoral professional aspirations, I’m content soaking up funding and a valuable spot at the university of my choice in order to make airline ticket checkers refer to me as “Doctor”. 

My grandest hopes and dreams are that some day, an individual on public transport of some sort will collapse, and I will be able to answer the call “Is there a doctor here?!”, but deflate the entire room with a smarmy “Oh sorry sweetie not THAT type of Doctor.”

42 minutes ago, Samir Al-Hajeed said:

I have no post-doctoral professional aspirations, I’m content soaking up funding and a valuable spot at the university of my choice in order to make airline ticket checkers refer to me as “Doctor”. 

My grandest hopes and dreams are that some day, an individual on public transport of some sort will collapse, and I will be able to answer the call “Is there a doctor here?!”, but deflate the entire room with a smarmy “Oh sorry sweetie not THAT type of Doctor.”

You must find great joy in trolling! Bless your heart!

14 minutes ago, PublicHealth545 said:

Has anyone received interviews or any other communications from JHU DrPH program? 

I have not either and am getting nervous about the radio silence from DrPH programs (GW, JHU, and Columbia).