PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

Thought I'd start the thread for prospective doctoral students applying to start in Fall 2021. I'm starting it early so we can discuss and support each other given the added challenges of applying during a pandemic. 

I'm applying for my PhD in Social & Behavioral Health programs. 

Edited by CatMeow1234
Forgot to add "prospective" :-)

Hello!

I am also applying for some PhD programs in Social & Behavioral Health. Right now I am looking at Brown and Johns Hopkins University. A little information about me:

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 & 3.7 (I have two bachelors degrees one in public communications and one in anthropology)

MPH GPA: 3.95

One publication coming out soon and I am currently working on tobacco addiction research. I am very interested in researching mental health specifically substance abuse disorders in vulnerable populations. I am still researching schools so would love to hear where everyone else is applying to!

Hey!!

I am looking to pursue PhD in specifically looking at International health from Johns Hopkins university and Population Health Sciences from Harvard. I know both of these are highly competitive ones. About me:

I am a Dentist from India and completed MPH recently.

CGPA 6.5

I have worked on two research projects one as part of masters thesis and other independent one. Working on publishing my work as well. Currently working on improving qualtiy of care of maternal  health services in the govt run facilities catering to the vulnerable population.

I am really interested in researching in maternal & child health and nutrition. Due to financial constraints am looking for programs which are fully funded. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm also applying. In fact, I filled out my SOPHAS basics yesterday while floating in the pool ☺️ I'm Boston based and hope to stay there. However I'm applying up and down the East coast. I'm applying to a mix of PhD and DrPH programs, almost all in epi, though some MCH programs. My passion is ID and MCH epi.

About me: BA, MA (history of science and American history), and MPH epi, 1 APHA conference presentation (first author), 2 pubs (2/3 author) and one new poster accepted today (first author), plus a few others just accepted (3/4 author). I run clinical trials right now and am a federal employee. I'm older, mid-30s, so I'm going to keep working full time while in school. 

Right now I'm looking at BUSPH (alum), Harvard, Brown, Pitt, Penn, GW, Hopkins, UMD College Park, UNC Chapel Hill, Emory, and Tulane. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, blakepancake said:

Has anyone reached out to schools about GRE scores for fall 2021 matriculation? Mine expire on October 10 and I'm worried I won't be able to take the GRE before then.

I know UC Berkeley waived GRE for this year's application cycle... any other schools/programs?

I have heard that Emory is waiving the GRE, but I can't confirm that for sure. Emory isn't on my list of programs, so I have not looked it up. 

Hi, all!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm also hoping to be admitted into an Epidemiology PhD program for fall 2021. 

Some of my stats: undergrad GPA - 3.1, MS GPA - 3.8, 2 conference presentations, 2 first-author pubs, 2 middle author pubs. 3 years working on CDC epidemiology study. GRE- 169 Q, 167 V.

I'm certainly worried about my low undergrad GPA, but , fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone! 

Hi!

Looking to apply to epi PhDs for Fall 2021 as well.

Stats: undergrad GPA: 3.8. MPH GPA: 3.93. 2 publications (2nd author) and working on another now as first author. GRE: 164 Q 161 V - thinking of repeating because I'm applying to highly competitive programs (Harvard, Columbia etc) and absolutely need funding. Speaking of funding, is there a list of epi PhD programs that are fully funded?

Thanks everyone and best of luck on our journey!!

On 7/16/2020 at 12:32 AM, FDawg said:

Hi!

Stats: undergrad GPA: 3.8. MPH GPA: 3.93. 2 publications (2nd author) and working on another now as first author. GRE: 164 Q 161 V - thinking of repeating because I'm applying to highly competitive programs (Harvard, Columbia etc) and absolutely need funding. Speaking of funding, is there a list of epi PhD programs that are fully funded?

I don't think there is such list.  But I heard that because of pandemic, many universities lack of money. 

On 7/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, FDawg said:

Hi!

Columbia, Harvard, Brown, Hopkins, and BU give full-funding for Epi PhD, and I think Yale and Emory do as well. 

On 7/13/2020 at 9:16 AM, Baylis said:

I have heard that Emory is waiving the GRE, but I can't confirm that for sure. Emory isn't on my list of programs, so I have not looked it up. 

BUSPH is actually now in year 2 (this fall) of not requiring GREs. 

Brown and Penn are not taking them this year, either. Ultimately, I may only apply to non-GRE schools because I'm old and lazy and I don't want to do it for the 3rd time. We should definitely make a list and update it. 

On 7/13/2020 at 10:31 AM, epi_2021 said:

Hi, all!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm also hoping to be admitted into an Epidemiology PhD program for fall 2021. 

Some of my stats: undergrad GPA - 3.1, MS GPA - 3.8, 2 conference presentations, 2 first-author pubs, 2 middle author pubs. 3 years working on CDC epidemiology study. GRE- 169 Q, 167 V.

I'm certainly worried about my low undergrad GPA, but , fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone! 

My ug gpa was a 3.1ish, as well. Maybe a 3.2 and I got into an MA program with full scholarship just fine. Then I did my MPH with a nice enough scholarship. You're going to be fine. No one cares about your undergrad if you already have a master's level degree. You've proven that you're a good student and hard worker. Just get the best LoRs you can and don't sweat the small stuff.  Plus, your bibliography is more than most applicants will have. You'll stand out, don't worry! Also, hey, shoutout to another Fed ✌️

I am applying this fall. 

I have 2 publications.  Neither one is first author.  I have a lot of work experience in the area I am interested in concentrating on. 

My undergrad GPA was around 2.9. 

My MS EPI GPA. is 3.6

My GRE Is expired but previously was in the 90%ile

I plan on applying to JHSPH, GWU, UMD,  and UPenn for Epidemiology. 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, ♀HealthMatters said:

My ug gpa was a 3.1ish, as well. Maybe a 3.2 and I got into an MA program with full scholarship just fine. Then I did my MPH with a nice enough scholarship. You're going to be fine. No one cares about your undergrad if you already have a master's level degree. You've proven that you're a good student and hard worker. Just get the best LoRs you can and don't sweat the small stuff.  Plus, your bibliography is more than most applicants will have. You'll stand out, don't worry! Also, hey, shoutout to another Fed ✌️

Thank you for the encouragement!!

On 7/12/2020 at 11:02 AM, blakepancake said:

Has anyone reached out to schools about GRE scores for fall 2021 matriculation? Mine expire on October 10 and I'm worried I won't be able to take the GRE before then.

I know UC Berkeley waived GRE for this year's application cycle... any other schools/programs?

Many programs are waiving the GRE right now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j-7-kThlYphF9D0HX1aSNFYl8ksFrIgD68Qz0njHYAY/

There are currently 788 entries: 344 permanent, 444 temp for COVID-19 (Masters: 672, Doctoral: 116).

So far I've counted 116/198 CEPH accredited programs, with 21 from the top 25 ranked by US World News. With the SOPHAS application opening on August 18th, it's possible we'll see more additions in the coming weeks.

9 hours ago, jmillar said:

Many programs are waiving the GRE right now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j-7-kThlYphF9D0HX1aSNFYl8ksFrIgD68Qz0njHYAY/

There are currently 788 entries: 344 permanent, 444 temp for COVID-19 (Masters: 672, Doctoral: 116).

So far I've counted 116/198 CEPH accredited programs, with 21 from the top 25 ranked by US World News. With the SOPHAS application opening on August 18th, it's possible we'll see more additions in the coming weeks.

Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic resource!

Hi, nice to meet you all ?

I am also applying this fall to Epidemiology (Infectious Diseases) programs if I get a good score in the GRE. My current GPA in my MPH Epi is 3.9 and I have submitted 4 papers but I am still waiting for the journals' decisions on them. I am very concerned because I heard that the acceptance rate for international students is even smaller since we are not eligible for several grants and fellowships. Do you know something regarding that?

Also, I wonder if even when the schools waive the GRE requirement, not taking the exam could affect our application since there is a GRE at home option in the US.

22 hours ago, Qantu said:

Also, I wonder if even when the schools waive the GRE requirement, not taking the exam could affect our application since there is a GRE at home option in the US.

I made a column that mentions if you can submit the GRE even if they are waiving it, and whether they explicitly recommend it or not. In several cases, I've added "strongly recommended" if mentioned.

On 8/13/2020 at 7:09 PM, Qantu said:

Hi, nice to meet you all ?

I am also applying this fall to Epidemiology (Infectious Diseases) programs if I get a good score in the GRE. My current GPA in my MPH Epi is 3.9 and I have submitted 4 papers but I am still waiting for the journals' decisions on them. I am very concerned because I heard that the acceptance rate for international students is even smaller since we are not eligible for several grants and fellowships. Do you know something regarding that?

Hey... I'm also an international student and currently in a PhD program in ID epi. 

You're correct that it is A LOT harder for international applicants to be accepted due to limited funding. There are only 3 international students in my cohort, and they're all extremely competitive. Feel free to inbox me if you want more details. 

Also, you should definitely take the GRE and show that you are a competitive candidate (get at least a 90th percentile) even if the program makes it optional. 

Hi

I am an international student a fresh MPH Epidemiology candidate having experience on couple of research projects working with my professors. I want to apply for Phd Epidemiology Fall 2021.
My GPA : 3.9 GRE:v-61%,Q-81% AW-4 and TOEFL-110
My university is in top 20 in public health in USA.
Please suggest some universities where I can probably get admission.

FYI - SOPHAS is open today for the 2020-2021 cycle! 

I started this thread but did not list my credentials, so listing them here.

I'm applying to Social/Bx Sci and Community Health Programs. I have an MPH, and have 4 years of post masters experience. I have 9 publications, first authored 5. Undergrad GPA 3.6; Grad school GPA 3.9. I took the GRE, scores are decent but nothing spectacular. 

Anyone know of any places to apply for external funding? Or is applying for external funding not as common for PhD (e.g., the university funds it fully).