PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

On 12/4/2020 at 12:25 AM, CancerEpi2020Fall said:

Just wanted to say that Harvard PHS started on their admissions review earlier this week! Good luck to those who applied!

Hi. For USF, last date of application was nov 15 which is earlier than most of the other schools. When can one expect to hear back from them? Any thoughts...

7 hours ago, Aman_Ratta said:

Hi. For USF, last date of application was nov 15 which is earlier than most of the other schools. When can one expect to hear back from them? Any thoughts...

I am also curious about this. In previous years it looks like decisions for USF were sent out in March. I’m not sure when they started contacting people for interviews. Right now my status is application under review. 

35 minutes ago, HopeFaithandDrPH said:

I am also curious about this. In previous years it looks like decisions for USF were sent out in March. I’m not sure when they started contacting people for interviews. Right now my status is application under review. 

Hey. Where do you check for the application status. It doesn't appear on my application

I am applying for the Fall 2021 DrPH in Community Health Practice at UT Health in Houston. Application reviews have started since I just received an interview invite for this week. The email stated the interview is with Faculty advisors via WebEx with a 2 hour time block (30-35 with faculty, the rest for follow-up). If anyone applied there, be on the lookout for emails because the interview times are time sensitive! 

3 hours ago, Aman_Ratta said:

Hey. Where do you check for the application status. It doesn't appear on my application

You should be able to go to grad.usf.edu and set up an account. They sent the info via email shortly after I applied. There is a link on mine that says “view your graduate application status”. 

Hi everyone. I hope to know if/when people get offered interviews for a few schools, particularly where I applied?

(1) Columbia (2) Emory (3) Michigan (4) Hopkins 

Please and thank you!!

On 12/8/2020 at 10:57 AM, HopeFaithandDrPH said:

You should be able to go to grad.usf.edu and set up an account. They sent the info via email shortly after I applied. There is a link on mine that says “view your graduate application status”. 

I think I screwed up trying to set up Net ID stuff... ? I can't log in. I might have to email them to get it fixed... ?

But anyway, I got an email from the admission person, Paola, saying my application is now under review. She emailed me on Dec 1st.

57 minutes ago, tommec said:

Hi everyone. I hope to know if/when people get offered interviews for a few schools, particularly where I applied?

(1) Columbia (2) Emory (3) Michigan (4) Hopkins 

Please and thank you!!

Last year I received an interview request from Hopkins (for Epi) in the third week of January. Columbia interview request came 1st week of February (also for Epi). Didn't apply to Emory or Michigan so I can't speak to those.

On 12/8/2020 at 1:50 AM, Aman_Ratta said:

On 12/8/2020 at 9:49 AM, HopeFaithandDrPH said:

I applied to the community health PhD program at USF and received an interview invite today, if that helps.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:17 AM, DrPH Extreme hopeful said:

I am applying for the Fall 2021 DrPH in Community Health Practice at UT Health in Houston. Application reviews have started since I just received an interview invite for this week. The email stated the interview is with Faculty advisors via WebEx with a 2 hour time block (30-35 with faculty, the rest for follow-up). If anyone applied there, be on the lookout for emails because the interview times are time sensitive! 

Congrats! That's so exciting, best of luck on your interview! I also applied to UTHealth in Houston but haven't heard back yet. They mentioned they admit through rolling admissions, so I guess only time can tell. 

Do you mind sharing when you submitted your application to when you heard back from them? 

@okiedokieartichoke Thank you so much! I submitted my application via SOPHAS on 10/12, verified on 10/14, and UTHealth reached out to tell me they received my app and got the portal access. I heard back from them on Tuesday with 2 interview dates of yesterday or today. They said that It's their policy to interview all prospective doctoral candidates, prior to making an admissions decision so I wouldn't worry. They just may be going in order they were received.

25 minutes ago, DrPH Extreme hopeful said:

@okiedokieartichoke Thank you so much! I submitted my application via SOPHAS on 10/12, verified on 10/14, and UTHealth reached out to tell me they received my app and got the portal access. I heard back from them on Tuesday with 2 interview dates of yesterday or today. They said that It's their policy to interview all prospective doctoral candidates, prior to making an admissions decision so I wouldn't worry. They just may be going in order they were received.

Hope your interview went well!

@DrPH Extreme hopeful Oh wow, you submitted your application so early! Props to you for being on top of it and having the motivation to get it in early as possible! I didn't submit my application through SOPHAS until the day of Dec 1 lol. 

Best of luck on your interview, I hope it went well for you! Is UTHealth one of your top choices for DrPH?

3 hours ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

@DrPH Extreme hopeful Oh wow, you submitted your application so early! Props to you for being on top of it and having the motivation to get it in early as possible! I didn't submit my application through SOPHAS until the day of Dec 1 lol. 

Best of luck on your interview, I hope it went well for you! Is UTHealth one of your top choices for DrPH?

The interview is very relaxing and more about getting to know you and your interests and a few questions they may have about what you submitted on your SOPHAS then a easy writing prompt of 500-750 words within 1 hour to submit after the interview. It was one of the easiest I ever had. I put all my eggs in a basket because i really want to go here that i didn't submit apps to other schools since I want to stay in the Houston area so UTHealth is my top and only choice lol. 

1 hour ago, DrPH Extreme hopeful said:

The interview is very relaxing and more about getting to know you and your interests and a few questions they may have about what you submitted on your SOPHAS then a easy writing prompt of 500-750 words within 1 hour to submit after the interview. It was one of the easiest I ever had. I put all my eggs in a basket because i really want to go here that i didn't submit apps to other schools since I want to stay in the Houston area so UTHealth is my top and only choice lol. 

That sounds like a very nice experience! Good to know it's not one of those intensive interviews that's beyond stressful. Did the AdCom mention anything about how many people applied this year/if they received more applications compared to previous years? 

And honestly fair enough, you know exactly what you want! All my luck and fingers crossed for you! Keep us updated once you hear the good news! :) 

42 minutes ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

That sounds like a very nice experience! Good to know it's not one of those intensive interviews that's beyond stressful. Did the AdCom mention anything about how many people applied this year/if they received more applications compared to previous years? 

And honestly fair enough, you know exactly what you want! All my luck and fingers crossed for you! Keep us updated once you hear the good news! :) 

I didn't think to ask about the total applicants since I assumed it increased b/c of the GRE waiver. I asked more about funding opportunities and average time it takes to complete the problem. If they do offer a follow-up, I'll be sure to ask. I'll keep you posted as I hear from them whenever they make an admission decision.

1 hour ago, okiedokieartichoke said:

I can't speak to UTHealth, but at Harvard, the applications are way up. Last week, the admins told us that there were 845 appliations for all of the population health sciences PhD programs combined. That is up 306 applications up from last year, and we only have about ~42 funded spots. 

I think the pandemic has reduced the opporutnity cost of going back to grad school and has put public health in the spotlight in a way we haven't seen in decades. 

1 hour ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I can't speak to UTHealth, but at Harvard, the applications are way up. Last week, the admins told us that there were 845 appliations for all of the population health sciences PhD programs combined. That is up 306 applications up from last year, and we only have about ~42 funded spots. 

I think the pandemic has reduced the opporutnity cost of going back to grad school and has put public health in the spotlight in a way we haven't seen in decades. 

Wow that is a significant increase. It's definitely an intense and more competitive application cycle, I can't imagine the stress for PhD positions.

The *only* silver lining/glimmer of hope I see is that many DrPH programs require a masters/MPH of some sort in order to apply. But even so, that doesn't really diminish the number of candidates applying for the schools. 

7 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I also think that there has been general advice for applicants to apply to more programs this cycle. And, as mentioned, it is a bit easier and more cost effective since the GRE is largely optional. I agree that there are more applicants this year, but I'm also suspicious that the number of applications is additionally being inflated because people are applying to more programs this year than in past years. 

Edited by epi_2021

10 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I'm curious is the majority of applications are to the epidemiology tracks.

I'm hoping for admissions to the health systems track though...

10 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

This thought discouraged me from applying, but at the same time, we just have to focus on our own journeys/paths. If it's meant to happen this year, it will! ?

Ummmm...anyone else apply to Hopkins PhD Epi. program? I just got an automated email saying a decision was posted to my portal (a rejection) -- but wondering if it's a fluke? This would have been the fastest turn around ever... lol 

Update: the admission office said yes that the decision was supposedly made yesterday. So that the portal is right...wow record rejection time lol woohoo!! 

Edited by EpiNYC

1 hour ago, EpiNYC said:

Ummmm...anyone else apply to Hopkins PhD Epi. program? I just got an automated email saying a decision was posted to my portal (a rejection) -- but wondering if it's a fluke? This would have been the fastest turn around ever... lol 

Update: the admission office said yes that the decision was supposedly made yesterday. So that the portal is right...wow record rejection time lol woohoo!! 

Oh wow scary but it's like ripping a bandaid off your arm - quick and fast = less pain! 

I'm sorry for the rejection. I hope your other applications are more successful! ?