PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

5 hours ago, drunkenduck said:

No, but at my interview they said they'd make their decisions "in January".

Thanks. I hope they are still sending invites. How was the interview?

2 hours ago, Rka said:

Thanks. I hope they are still sending invites. How was the interview?

It was pretty low-key, no curve balls. A panel of three people interviewed me and it lasted about thirty minutes. I honestly don't think they're accepting me though, I was pretty awkward ?

26 minutes ago, drunkenduck said:

It was pretty low-key, no curve balls. A panel of three people interviewed me and it lasted about thirty minutes. I honestly don't think they're accepting me though, I was pretty awkward ?

Ok. I hope others start sending invites or decisions in Jan. I was hoping to get one from UNC, MCH. But no luck it seems

Hi everyone! Just joined GradCafe. Happy to have a community to stress about applications with. My husband can only take so much angst. haha. I applied to just 5 places (4 squarely in public health and one in policy where I plan to focus on MCH) and have had one interview a few weeks back (USF). I'm hopeful to hear something from USF in the next week or two but with the pandemic and holiday break, who knows? This process is both maddening and super exciting. 

Edited by MCH_Hopeful_2021

1 hour ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Hi everyone! Just joined GradCafe. Happy to have a community to stress about applications with. My husband can only take so much angst. haha. I applied to just 5 places (4 squarely in public health and one in policy where I plan to focus on MCH) and have had one interview a few weeks back (USF). I'm hopeful to hear something from USF in the next week or two but with the pandemic and holiday break, who knows? This process is both maddening and super exciting. 

Welcome!! Did you apply to the PhD or DrPH program at USF?

On 11/9/2020 at 12:41 AM, IAAJ said:

I'm so glad I found this thread!

My stats are nothing to write home about, but I'm applying to various programs anyway. I will be applying to DrPH programs because I want to develop, implement, and evaluate programs that aim to reduce racial and ethnic disparities in MCH, and do this through a faith-based lens. This sounds VERY specific, but it's what I hope to do.

My undergrad GPA was terrible = 2.6

MPH + MCH Certificate = 3.91 (Health Education Behavioral Science background) (unfortunately, it took me a while to finish my MPH for a myriad of reasons, but hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me in the butt).

I am 2 years post MPH, but have 8 years of work experience in public health - started in adolescent pregnancy prevention, then to coalition coordinator, a small stint at a small consulting company, followed by VA, and now a health educator for a local health department.

I am retaking the GRE (haven't taken it in 10 years) on 11/16 and praying! I only need the GRE for 2 schools I will be applying to, so I'm hoping for the best! When I took the GRE in 2010, my scores were still out of 800! (V: 510, Q:640, AW: 4.5)

Schools I'll be applying to: Tulane, BUSPH, JHSPH, GW, UArizona, Rutgers and (maybe) Colorado). Reaching out to faculty from these schools who work in MCH or use a CBPR approach to designing programs. Some have answered and I've had great conversations, others haven't responded.

LORs: 1 supervisor (expert in risk communications) and 2 former professors (one of which is the chair of a department).

I'm praying a good personal statement helps my case! Good luck everyone!

We have pretty similar backgrounds/circumstances and intersts in MCH.  THose are pretty much the schools i've been looking at for future mch phd applications.  Have you heard back from any of your applications? I didn't apply to any phd/drph programs, but I did apply for MHS (online) in MCH at Hopkins and MCH certificate at Drexel. I've been having trouble getting LOR from faculty at my MPH school (very small instate program), no one is answering my emails (a few ppl i know haven't heard back from faculty they've reached out to either, so it's not jsut me).   This is one of the reasons why I am not applying this cycle, which really really sucks.  

Another quick question, What made you apply to Rutgers?  I live less than an hour from rutgers and have considered, but just don't know enough about the school/ program when it comes to MCH.  Thanks!

45 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Just got offered an interview for Johns Hopkins' PhD program in Population, Family and Reproductive Health. Interview week is from Feb 8 - Feb 12th via Zoom (of course). 

CONGRATS!! 

3 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Just got offered an interview for Johns Hopkins' PhD program in Population, Family and Reproductive Health. Interview week is from Feb 8 - Feb 12th via Zoom (of course). 

Congrats! Do you know if they interview all candidates?

1 hour ago, blakepancake said:

Congrats! Do you know if they interview all candidates?

I can't be 100% sure but I don't think so. The email indicated that my application made it past an initial review and has moved on to the secondary phase (i.e. interview). That makes me feel like there's a filtering process at play. What I don't know is if these invites are being sent on a rolling basis or not, which could mean that more invites are coming!