PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

3 hours ago, drunkenduck said:

Have you guys noticed on the results page that some non-public health programs are doing in-person campus visits and interviews? That's so crazy to me!

wow that's crazy... in-person interviews?? Why risk everyone's lives when we can do interviews virtually... ?

Also, congrats to everyone who got the invite for the interviews!!! What a great way to start the new year! Hope 2021 will be a better year for everyone ☺️

43 minutes ago, IHeartBread said:

Hi all! Just wanted to chime in and say that I have applied to Harvard, UNC, Yale, BU, Pitt, and Drexel (PhD in Epidemiology).  I was accepted to Pitt on Dec. 4, no news from any of the other programs so far.

UNC is still going through apps. They received almost double the number of applicants from last year, and last year was already a record year. They have 15 spots available and probably approaching 300 applicants. It's a great program (UNC is ranked the top DrPH program, but Hopkins is ranked the best public health school). 

I trust that if you apply to a few schools of interest and work hard on your essay being honest you will get accepted to the program that fits best. Good luck!

34 minutes ago, DrPH2025 said:

UNC is still going through apps. They received almost double the number of applicants from last year, and last year was already a record year. They have 15 spots available and probably approaching 300 applicants. It's a great program (UNC is ranked the top DrPH program, but Hopkins is ranked the best public health school). 

I trust that if you apply to a few schools of interest and work hard on your essay being honest you will get accepted to the program that fits best. Good luck!

Out of curiosity, how are folks finding out about numbers of applicants to programs/timelines for hearing back? Are you being told when offered interviews?

6 minutes ago, blakepancake said:

Out of curiosity, how are folks finding out about numbers of applicants to programs/timelines for hearing back? Are you being told when offered interviews?

I have the same question! My assumption is that I can (reasonably) start panicking 2-3 weeks post-event without any news, but... What do I know haha.

27 minutes ago, blakepancake said:

I only know about JHU (PhD in Epi) as that is the only program I have heard back from so far. The administrator noted they received over '400' applications. As for timelines, I think most of us are going off of previous years and maybe adding in some lag time b/c of COVID + record number of applications? At least I am :)

Hi all. Asking for some advice here. I originally applied to 5 programs back in Nov/Dec 2020 that were all local to my current area (lucky enough to live somewhere with that many options!). When talking about how competitive programs are this year with my partner, we decided to expand geographies a little bit and that it might make sense to apply to a few more programs and then if they pan out, we can compare geographies more (we have already done a first pass at ruling out places we definitely don't want to live). I have identified 5-6 strong programs in places we might want to live that have deadlines from 1/5 - 3/1 (but would want to get them done asap). I won't be able to do the same super thorough process I did for the first round - reaching out to POIs, holding initial calls, etc, but all the applications would be through SOPHAS so recs and CV are done and I have strong SOPs that can be tailored to these new programs.

My main question is - has anyone also decided to add a few more programs after their first round? Does this seem like a reasonable approach or a crazy idea coming from my waiting anxiety?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Might be helpful to mention that I'm currently in Boston so the programs in the area are (as you guys all know) super competitive and none can be considered "safety" for me.

Edited by cs4152008

2 hours ago, IHeartBread said:

Hi all! Just wanted to chime in and say that I have applied to Harvard, UNC, Yale, BU, Pitt, and Drexel (PhD in Epidemiology).  I was accepted to Pitt on Dec. 4, no news from any of the other programs so far.

Congrats on Pitt!

If I may ask, when did you submit your application? Trying to gauge when I may hear back lol. It's my top choice and I am eager to hear something!

1 hour ago, blakepancake said:

I only know the applicant numbers because I am currently in the program and have heard through the grapevine.

29 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Hi all. Asking for some advice here. I originally applied to 5 programs back in Nov/Dec 2020 that were all local to my current area (lucky enough to live somewhere with that many options!). When talking about how competitive programs are this year with my partner, we decided to expand geographies a little bit and that it might make sense to apply to a few more programs and then if they pan out, we can compare geographies more (we have already done a first pass at ruling out places we definitely don't want to live). I have identified 5-6 strong programs in places we might want to live that have deadlines from 1/5 - 3/1 (but would want to get them done asap). I won't be able to do the same super thorough process I did for the first round - reaching out to POIs, holding initial calls, etc, but all the applications would be through SOPHAS so recs and CV are done and I have strong SOPs that can be tailored to these new programs.

My main question is - has anyone also decided to add a few more programs after their first round? Does this seem like a reasonable approach or a crazy idea coming from my waiting anxiety?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Might be helpful to mention that I'm currently in Boston so the programs in the area are (as you guys all know) super competitive and none can be considered "safety" for me.

Have you considered non-residential programs? Some of the programs have occasional travel for a week on site, and then you go home. In the grand scheme of things the cost of travel is not huge compared with tuition.

1 hour ago, teabunny said:

I have the same question! My assumption is that I can (reasonably) start panicking 2-3 weeks post-event without any news, but... What do I know haha.

Last year I heard back from UIC, JHU, and UNC in mid Feb-March

1 minute ago, DrPH2025 said:

Have you considered non-residential programs? Some of the programs have occasional travel for a week on site, and then you go home. In the grand scheme of things the cost of travel is not huge compared with tuition.

I haven't! Interesting idea though and I've worked from home for years so the idea of being able to do some more off site it appealing to me. Would you mind sharing an example of 1 or 2 programs that you'd suggest I start looking into?

Thanks so much for your advice.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:26 AM, Rka said:

Ok. I hope others start sending invites or decisions in Jan. I was hoping to get one from UNC, MCH. But no luck it seems

Has UNC MCH already send their interview invites?? I guess I will start applying to European programs now. 

34 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Thanks in advance!

I’m in the same position as you- living in Boston, applied to local programs only, super nervous because they’re already all competitive and seem to be more competitive this year.

That said I’m not going to expand my search. My partner is “stuck” in Boston. So I guess I’m just over here anxiously stressing ? and considering other options for next year haha.

definitely no safety programs on my list, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, ASA15 said:

I’m in the same position as you- living in Boston, applied to local programs only, super nervous because they’re already all competitive and seem to be more competitive this year.

That said I’m not going to expand my search. My partner is “stuck” in Boston. So I guess I’m just over here anxiously stressing ? and considering other options for next year haha.

definitely no safety programs on my list, unfortunately. 

It's a crazy year isn't it! It's helpful to know others are in this position although I wish none of us were. Sending you lots of good luck and hope you get some news soon.

8 minutes ago, CurrentGHD said:

Has UNC MCH already send their interview invites?? I guess I will start applying to European programs now. 

No. I have no idea. Only my apprehensions

7 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

It's a crazy year isn't it! It's helpful to know others are in this position although I wish none of us were. Sending you lots of good luck and hope you get some news soon.

Same to you!!!!

Just trying to remember it’ll turn out as it’s meant to :) 

22 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

I haven't! Interesting idea though and I've worked from home for years so the idea of being able to do some more off site it appealing to me. Would you mind sharing an example of 1 or 2 programs that you'd suggest I start looking into?

Thanks so much for your advice.

The ones that have the hybrid on site + remote that I remember are UNC, Hopkins, UIC, and possibly Texas. I'm sure there are others. This was a requirement for me since I couldn't do a program in residency, except the one program near me which was PhD not DrPH.

1 hour ago, MarieE said:

good afternoon all, 

I thought it would be helpful to get a thread going specifically for interview requests/acceptance  and rejections!

Thanks MarieE! I do sort of see this thread as a place for the above though too. Any thoughts on what the difference between the two might be? Game to post in both places! 

On 1/5/2021 at 3:45 PM, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Just got offered an interview for Johns Hopkins' PhD program in Population, Family and Reproductive Health. Interview week is from Feb 8 - Feb 12th via Zoom (of course). 

THats so exciting!!! Congrats!! I wanted to apply for their phd, but applied for the MHS instead at the recommendation of one of their faculty.  I am hoping that I get considered for the phd, since I made it clear it was my goal.  

Edited by hccgrl