PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

@epi2be I'm having my interview for Harvard epi on Tuesday. Have you finished the interview? Is so, would you mind sharing what it was like? Also, would you mind sharing the track you're applying to and the initials of the faculty member who contacted you? I'm just curious whether we're all contacted by the same faculty member or potential PI (I'm applying to methods track and faculty is AB). NO NEED to answer if you don't feel comfortable!! Thanks!

10 hours ago, drunkenduck said:

I meant SLU!

Our stats are similar, my GPA is 4.0 and my GRE is 317. Did you interview last month?

Not yet heard. You have experience and publications ? I am a fresh MPH graduate with couple of projects but no publications.

2 hours ago, bstat95 said:

@epi2be I'm having my interview for Harvard epi on Tuesday. Have you finished the interview? Is so, would you mind sharing what it was like? Also, would you mind sharing the track you're applying to and the initials of the faculty member who contacted you? I'm just curious whether we're all contacted by the same faculty member or potential PI (I'm applying to methods track and faculty is AB). NO NEED to answer if you don't feel comfortable!! Thanks!

Current HSPH epi student...Each track sends out their own interview invites, scattered across a few weeks. I can't speak to all tracks, but I was not interviewed by my advisor. During the interview I was asked about my research interests, what I was working on (including the methodological considerations for those projects and the implications of my findings), and why Harvard was the right fit for me. It was realy casual and conversational.  

10 hours ago, jzhh96 said:

Congrats on your interview! May I ask when did you receive the interview invite? Do you know if Hopkins have already sent out all the invites to Nutrition applicants? Thanks!!

Thank you! I got the invite in late December 2020. However I am not sure whether all invitations have been sent to the applicants. But I remember that the interviewer highlighted about the "perfect fit" in terms of research interest and study design with the ongoing projects in the faculty..

11 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

Current HSPH epi student...Each track sends out their own interview invites, scattered across a few weeks. I can't speak to all tracks, but I was not interviewed by my advisor. During the interview I was asked about my research interests, what I was working on (including the methodological considerations for those projects and the implications of my findings), and why Harvard was the right fit for me. It was realy casual and conversational.  

Thank you so much!

19 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I just received an acceptance to USF's Community and Family Health PhD program! It was via email and seemed automated (vs. personalized) and was not from my POI. 

Congrats! Interesting that it seemed so automated, maybe you'll get another email shortly from faculty. For now, you should take the win :)

2 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Congrats! Interesting that it seemed so automated, maybe you'll get another email shortly from faculty. For now, you should take the win :)

Haha! Yes. It could have come via carrier pigeon and I'd still be thrilled. USF is my top choice and I didn't expect to get an interview, let alone an acceptance. ?

18 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Haha! Yes. It could have come via carrier pigeon and I'd still be thrilled. USF is my top choice and I didn't expect to get an interview, let alone an acceptance. ?

Actually, on second blush, it wasn’t automated. It was templated, so less personal but not from a system. Sorry for the confusion. I literally saw the words acceptance and freaked out. Hahaha. 

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if programs that don't require interviews ALWAYS end up asking for one? I've seen a few people specifically for Harvard PHS mention getting interviews, but the website mentions a interview is not necessary and I've already spoken to the professors I was interested in having advise me.

Just freaking out probably for no reason like the rest of us right now. 

6 minutes ago, HP_2021 said:

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if programs that don't require interviews ALWAYS end up asking for one? I've seen a few people specifically for Harvard PHS mention getting interviews, but the website mentions a interview is not necessary and I've already spoken to the professors I was interested in having advise me.

Yeah I found that kind of odd as well, since it says interviews are not required (in Harvard PHS FAQs). I applied to Harvard PHS (Epi) and have not received any response.

5 minutes ago, HP_2021 said:

Hi everyone,

Yeah, the websites do mention that interview is not necessary. But again, seeing folks starting to get interviews, I am beyond the stage of freaking out. Applied to Duke PHS, Emory Global health and development, UNC MCH, JHU IH health systems, Yale, Harvard MPH, Washu and Brown. Haven't heard a word back. If any one has any info on these programs, it would be really helpful...

2 minutes ago, CurrentGHD said:

Yeah, the websites do mention that interview is not necessary. But again, seeing folks starting to get interviews, I am beyond the stage of freaking out. Applied to Duke PHS, Emory Global health and development, UNC MCH, JHU IH health systems, Yale, Harvard MPH, Washu and Brown. Haven't heard a word back. If any one has any info on these programs, it would be really helpful...

I haven't heard from Harvard or Brown since I got the "application is complete/submitted" emails. But since some other have (at least with Harvard), you might not want to use my situation as a guide! Both are definitely reach schools for me.

I know this may not help with anxiety but I'll share the info. I was accepted into a DrPH program last year and rejected at some. Now that I've started the program it's very clear that it was the best fit for me, which is why I got in.

Interviews are not a reliable measure of acceptance. Some people get accepted without interviews. Some programs say they aren't required but they interview everyone anyway. It's just hard to know so don't torture yourself by guessing.

One year ago this week I was OBSESSIVELY hitting refresh on my phone looking for news about my applications. I told myself it was bad for my mental health but I couldn't resist. I really wish I let it go and wait for the response to come to me without obsessing over it.

I was on the trip of a lifetime in late February, at the literal end of the Earth in Ushuaia, Argentina. And yet every time I got service I hit refresh on my applications. I got one rejection during that time. I let this take some really good days from me where I wish I was enjoying myself more.

I returned, just as the pandemic was hitting the US. Work got turned upside down and then I got a wonderful acceptance.

I'm not going to offer platitudes of "let it go and what will happen, will happen." I will just say that obsessing doesn't change the outcome, it only makes the process more painful for you. If you can, truly let it go when you can no longer control the outcome. 

Good luck!

Edited by DrPH2025

2 hours ago, CurrentGHD said:

I also applied to some of the same programs and haven't heard anything back... totally feel you on the freaking out! I tried calling some of the schools to get an idea of when we hear back but I've just been getting the same info that's in the initial confirmation of application email.

On 1/9/2021 at 4:30 PM, Coffee All Day said:

Has anyone applied to the Columbia DrPH or Hopkins PhD in Mental Health?  Heard anything if you did?

I applied to JHU's Mental Health program and haven't heard anything! I was, however, rejected by their epidemiology program. Hoping they have updates for us soon! ?

5 hours ago, FDawg said:

Just wanted to let folks know I got my first rejection from UPenn (epi PhD). I've also applied to Harvard, Brown, Yale, BU, Tulane, NYU, Columbia, Rutgers, Hopkins, Emory and haven't heard back from any. Hang in there!

Same. To literally all of it, minus NYU.