PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

Just now, dr_megaevil said:

Oh wow scary but it's like ripping a bandaid off your arm - quick and fast = less pain! 

I'm sorry for the rejection. I hope your other applications are more successful! ?

Hahah I'm just more irked that it's highly suspect that they are reviewing applications so holistically. I asked for some clarification from the department, and they claimed 2 faculty did review my application. Apparently, JHSPH Epi PhD received over 400+ applications this year. So best of luck to everyone else. Onto the next one :)

24 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Hahah I'm just more irked that it's highly suspect that they are reviewing applications so holistically. I asked for some clarification from the department, and they claimed 2 faculty did review my application. Apparently, JHSPH Epi PhD received over 400+ applications this year. So best of luck to everyone else. Onto the next one :)

Did you submit your application super early? I agree - that's a quick review process if they are reviewing application holistically... 

Just now, dr_megaevil said:

Did you submit your application super early? I agree - that's a quick review process if they are reviewing application holistically... 

Nope, I submitted it right up to the very end of the deadline (~10 PM on Dec 1st), so they tech reviewed it in less than 9 days? .... pretty reassuring I got a very 'holistic' review

8 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

Nope, I submitted it right up to the very end of the deadline (~10 PM on Dec 1st), so they tech reviewed it in less than 9 days? .... pretty reassuring I got a very 'holistic' review

Lol! I applied for their DrPH program... and submitted at 11:18pm!!! My hands were sweaty af when I hit that "submit" button lol!

Errr yeah. I smell BS!!!

HI all! I applied to the DrPH program at UIC....just sent my application in and waiting for SOPHAS to verify it. Who else has applied there? Those who applied and got into the 2020 cohort - were you interviewed or no? When did you hear about your acceptance? Do they interview every candidate that they accept into a DrPH program? Is it a bad sign if you do not get asked for an interview? Any interview tips? 

Not your typical applicant I'm currently getting my MBA in healthcare management and I work for a nonprofit raising money for public health programs.

Sorry for the tons of questions! I'm hoping to get in and want to prepare myself If I get asked for an interview!

Hello! 

Thank you to everyone who has posted thus far. I'm sure many of us are feeling a bit anxious about the waiting game we're all playing. I just want to say that regardless of the outcome, I think all of us are brave for attempting this next step in our careers. We should all be proud to have chosen professions in the field of Public Health; the world needs us now more than ever! 

With that being said, I'm interested to see how COVID will affect the admission process this year. I don't know about anyone else, but being stuck at home--as opposed to out socializing--has made it difficult not to dwell on the status of my applications. I'm trying hard not to compulsively check my email :) Wishing everyone the best! 

On 12/11/2020 at 3:36 PM, EpiNYC said:

Ummmm...anyone else apply to Hopkins PhD Epi. program? I just got an automated email saying a decision was posted to my portal (a rejection) -- but wondering if it's a fluke? This would have been the fastest turn around ever... lol 

Update: the admission office said yes that the decision was supposedly made yesterday. So that the portal is right...wow record rejection time lol woohoo!! 

The portal you’re referring to meaning SOPHAS right? 

10 hours ago, Baby_Yoda said:

Hello! 

Thank you to everyone who has posted thus far. I'm sure many of us are feeling a bit anxious about the waiting game we're all playing. I just want to say that regardless of the outcome, I think all of us are brave for attempting this next step in our careers. We should all be proud to have chosen professions in the field of Public Health; the world needs us now more than ever! 

With that being said, I'm interested to see how COVID will affect the admission process this year. I don't know about anyone else, but being stuck at home--as opposed to out socializing--has made it difficult not to dwell on the status of my applications. I'm trying hard not to compulsively check my email :) Wishing everyone the best! 

I am in my first year of a DrPH program. I can tell you that I learned about my rejection/acceptance during Feb and March before COVID really hit I was in Chile as it was unfolding, on the trip of a lifetime. Hiking Patagonia, touring Argentina... and obsessively refreshing my phone at the hotel so much that I was hiding it from my wife because I was crazy. It's a tough type of torture. I wish I had advice but it was like that until I accepted my offer. Breathe deep and know it is out of your hands until an interview. Let go, if you can. Hope you can maintain your mental health better than I did.

Good luck and see you on the other side!

8 hours ago, DrPH2025 said:

I am in my first year of a DrPH program. I can tell you that I learned about my rejection/acceptance during Feb and March before COVID really hit I was in Chile as it was unfolding, on the trip of a lifetime. Hiking Patagonia, touring Argentina... and obsessively refreshing my phone at the hotel so much that I was hiding it from my wife because I was crazy. It's a tough type of torture. I wish I had advice but it was like that until I accepted my offer. Breathe deep and know it is out of your hands until an interview. Let go, if you can. Hope you can maintain your mental health better than I did.

Good luck and see you on the other side!

Hey. What is the scoring system for application review/ interview process. I mean is it only the interview that matters or experience qualifications etc have some weightage too. 

20 hours ago, tommec said:

The portal you’re referring to meaning SOPHAS right? 

After you submitted your application, you should have gotten an email saying "thank you for applying to XYZ school... check your applicant portal and activate your account" (image attached)

Hope this helps! 

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 9.32.57 AM.png

5 hours ago, Aman_Ratta said:

Hey. What is the scoring system for application review/ interview process. I mean is it only the interview that matters or experience qualifications etc have some weightage too. 

They don't tell you what goes on behind the curtain and what I think got me accepted or rejected is just my guess. The interview is definitely crucial though. Although I think if you get an interview it's yours to lose. If you make it that far your odds are good. In the program where I got accepted they were creating a very specific collage of diversity - diverse backgrounds, interests, race, gender, and expertise. It wasn't clear to me until I joined that I was a missing puzzle piece in what they were making. So this is the catch..lean into what makes you special. If you are the right fit for what they need you'll get in. I wasn't the right fit for some programs and got accepted at the perfect program for me. I just didn't know it at the time.

So you've got to have decent grades and GREs (at least used to, guess they are waived a lot now). It seems the verbal GRE favors English first language folks. Anyway, once you get past the hurdle of grades and GREs your essay has to be poignant and real. I'm not going to get into that because there are tons of resources on that, but it's very important. Show purpose and passion for what you want to do. Then if you make the interview relax, be honest, and if it's meant to be it will be.

42 minutes ago, DrPH2025 said:

They don't tell you what goes on behind the curtain and what I think got me accepted or rejected is just my guess. The interview is definitely crucial though. Although I think if you get an interview it's yours to lose. If you make it that far your odds are good. In the program where I got accepted they were creating a very specific collage of diversity - diverse backgrounds, interests, race, gender, and expertise. It wasn't clear to me until I joined that I was a missing puzzle piece in what they were making. So this is the catch..lean into what makes you special. If you are the right fit for what they need you'll get in. I wasn't the right fit for some programs and got accepted at the perfect program for me. I just didn't know it at the time.

So you've got to have decent grades and GREs (at least used to, guess they are waived a lot now). It seems the verbal GRE favors English first language folks. Anyway, once you get past the hurdle of grades and GREs your essay has to be poignant and real. I'm not going to get into that because there are tons of resources on that, but it's very important. Show purpose and passion for what you want to do. Then if you make the interview relax, be honest, and if it's meant to be it will be.

Thank you so much for explaining it that very well. I do fear if it's just not my day and I do just ok in the interview. 

On 12/10/2020 at 3:55 AM, drunkenduck said:

I applied to the community health PhD program at USF and received an interview invite today, if that helps.

Hi. I am applying for PHD in public health for fall2021. Have you guys started receiving interview calls from Universities other than USF. Waiting period is really tough. 

13 hours ago, Rka said:

Hi. I am applying for PHD in public health for fall2021. Have you guys started receiving interview calls from Universities other than USF. Waiting period is really tough. 

Agree that the waiting period is very tough. From last year's thread, it seems like people started hearing back for interviews in early-mid January. But with the pandemic, I'm guessing the timeline could be a little different-- hoping they let us know sooner rather than later!

17 hours ago, Rka said:

I had an interview with U of Maryland last month, and I was accepted to UT Houston this week.

20 hours ago, Rka said:

I was accepted to University of Pittsburgh last week and UT Health this week for PhD in Epi. 

55 minutes ago, brightbluebirds said:

I was accepted to University of Pittsburgh last week and UT Health this week for PhD in Epi. 

Congratulations.. that's great news. So, I believe they started doing interviews very early

7 hours ago, ham1 said:

Agree that the waiting period is very tough. From last year's thread, it seems like people started hearing back for interviews in early-mid January. But with the pandemic, I'm guessing the timeline could be a little different-- hoping they let us know sooner rather than later!

That is what most of the universities said when I wrote emails to enquire about it. Let's see