PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

36 minutes ago, epi2be said:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has information about the Epi PhD stipend at UNC Chapel Hill? The website says the following:

TA: Stipend = $7850 (in most cases)

RA: Stipend = NIH predoctoral level (in most cases), prorated if <12 month appointment

If anyone has some information about what the NIH predoctoral level is (I believe F31 predoctoral stipends are around $25,000/year) that would be so helpful! I am curious if y'all know any current/former students who have information about how many students usually find funding and what that looks like? Thank you so much!

Based on my conversations with various programs, the NIH predoctoral rate is right below $26k. I’ve talked to numerous students at UNC and everyone said that even though funding isn’t guaranteed, it’s highly likely that you’ll receive funding from somewhere. One student said their stipend for this year is the same as the NIH rate so hopefully that helps!

32 minutes ago, publichealthPhD said:

Thank you for sharing your reflections! Going into this process I didn't realize how normal it is to have to apply multiple cycles. My husband got into HSPH his first time trying, which skewed my perspective a bit. ?

Followed you on Twitter! :)

Of course! I remember how terrible I felt last year and I remember it being  so helpful to hear words of encouragement from my friends and mentors.Your husband is really lucky! Most people don't get in on their first try. And I followed you back! Yay to more Public Health Twitter followers!!!

4 minutes ago, brightbluebirds said:

I haven't heard anything. ?

Ugh me neither......I'm growing impatient. It's my top choice. I have other funded offers that want a response in March and I'm nervous that they may not let us know before then. I don't want to accept elsewhere without knowing Pitt's funding situation. 

9 minutes ago, PublicHealth545 said:

Im also waiting to hear from them. Did you get an interview invite? I saw on the results page that there were 3 interviews in late Jan. Not sure if they are still extending invites or if it is over...

I didn't receive an invite to interview, however, I spoke with several faculty prior to submitting my application and those conversations flowed very well. I also don't believe I saw anywhere that interviews were mandatory, so I wouldn't look too much into the interviews for this specific program. I *believe* (and may not be remembering correctly) when I went to the virtual open house that the program director informed me they accept about ~5-10 PhDs a year, but it varies from year to year. Please don't hold me to that! Also, could you link me to the results page if it isn't too much trouble?

1 minute ago, dramatichealtheducator said:

I didn't receive an invite to interview, however, I spoke with several faculty prior to submitting my application and those conversations flowed very well. I also don't believe I saw anywhere that interviews were mandatory, so I wouldn't look too much into the interviews for this specific program. I *believe* (and may not be remembering correctly) when I went to the virtual open house that the program director informed me they accept about ~5-10 PhDs a year, but it varies from year to year. Please don't hold me to that! Also, could you link me to the results page if it isn't too much trouble?

Thanks for that info. Here is the link to the results page: johns hopkins behavior • thegradcafe.com

13 minutes ago, StaticL said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to know if anyone is still waiting to hear back from UNC's Epidemiology PhD. I think the waiting is starting to get to me. I've seen a handful of people on here have gotten accepted though so congrats to y'all!!

This is the last program I'm waiting to hear from and it's been incredibly difficult. I have no idea if i should start looking for jobs or what..

Did anyone also interview with UCSF epi? There was a missing component for one of my interviews so I did a make up interview. The original email said the make up could be scheduled this week or next, I ended up grabbing a last minute spot last week. I am not sure if this has happened to multiple candidates, if so the decisions could potentially be released after next week if they are still doing more interviews? 

3 hours ago, epi2be said:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has information about the Epi PhD stipend at UNC Chapel Hill? The website says the following:

TA: Stipend = $7850 (in most cases)

RA: Stipend = NIH predoctoral level (in most cases), prorated if <12 month appointment

If anyone has some information about what the NIH predoctoral level is (I believe F31 predoctoral stipends are around $25,000/year) that would be so helpful! I am curious if y'all know any current/former students who have information about how many students usually find funding and what that looks like? Thank you so much!

My friend is at UNC Biostats, she said RAships are easy to get, speaking from her & her cohort's  experiences. 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

6 hours ago, fingazntoescrossd said:

I appreciate how warm and encouraging folks in this forum are! Last year, I was devastated when I was rejected from Every.Single. Program that I applied to. I just wanted to share my experience with everyone, especially those who have not heard from any of the programs they applied to.

After receiving all the rejections, I took some time to reflect on ways to improve my application while pursuing other public health opportunities that I was interested in. I ended up consulting for two local organizations in my country on some really cool projects. And fortunately for me, things picked up at work due to COVID, and I ended up gaining more responsibilities and experience (I work in International development btw).

Last year, I applied to 6 schools. This time around, I applied to 7. I thoroughly researched the schools I was interested in and spoke to numerous faculty and current students. I typed up every answer they gave to my questions and read through them when I was writing my personal statement. This was extremely helpful to tailor my statement to each of the schools that I applied to. I revised my personal statement from last year and wove the past year's experience in the essay. I also understood what I wanted to research better, and I believe the time I spent reflecting on how to improve my applications was the cause. I listened to podcasts, watched YouTube videos, and stalked the faculty members' Twitter accounts I was interested in. It also helped to see what they were interested in and really understand their areas of expertise.

So far, I have been accepted to two programs without interviews (Temple University & OHSU). And I have also been interviewed for UMD, Duke and Vanderbilt. This is all to say, hang in there! Don't give up! If a PhD is what you want, and you didn't get into any programs this year, remember the wise words of Aaliyah: 

If at first you don't succeed

(First you don't succeed)

Then dust yourself off and try again

You can dust if off and try again, try again

Also, if y'all have "academic" Twitter accounts, I'd love to follow you. It would be nice to have this community when pursuing my PhD studies, and I would also love to help folks when they submit new applications. My Twitter handle is @nana_add0 ?.

I love this so SO much. Certainly will be taking all of this advice if I have to re-apply next year!!

Also followed you but don't be surprised I have no tweets... still trying to figure out this Twitter thing ?

37 minutes ago, skp_ said:

I love this so SO much. Certainly will be taking all of this advice if I have to re-apply next year!!

Also followed you but don't be surprised I have no tweets... still trying to figure out this Twitter thing ?

You are most welcome! And I just followed you back!!!

2 hours ago, StaticL said:

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to know if anyone is still waiting to hear back from UNC's Epidemiology PhD. I think the waiting is starting to get to me. I've seen a handful of people on here have gotten accepted though so congrats to y'all!!

Hi! As a matter of fact, I was accepted to UNC epi today! 

11 minutes ago, Littlefastpenguin said:

Hi! As a matter of fact, I was accepted to UNC epi today! 

Congratulations!! What specialty area did you get into? (If you don't mind sharing)

6 hours ago, nervousphd2021 said:

Has anyone admitted into Pitt PhD Epi heard anything re: funding? 

5 hours ago, brightbluebirds said:

I haven't heard anything. ?

In one of their email, it says "Typically, we are able to offer funding support to about one-half of those interested in our program." :( 

more details ---

Funding for doctoral study is the number one question that accepted applicants have.  Funding support for doctoral students in our department works through the Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) mechanism.  The GSR is a university mechanism that provides a stipend, insurance, and tuition remission to a student in exchange for that student spending 20 hours per week working on a research project.  All GSR positions are considered on a one-year basis (i.e. a funding support commitment for one year, with extensions granted on the basis of performance during the year).

Hope that helps!

Just now, NutrEpi said:

In one of their email, it says "Typically, we are able to offer funding support to about one-half of those interested in our program." :( 

more details ---

Funding for doctoral study is the number one question that accepted applicants have.  Funding support for doctoral students in our department works through the Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) mechanism.  The GSR is a university mechanism that provides a stipend, insurance, and tuition remission to a student in exchange for that student spending 20 hours per week working on a research project.  All GSR positions are considered on a one-year basis (i.e. a funding support commitment for one year, with extensions granted on the basis of performance during the year).

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I got that email, too. I know they mentioned we'll know more in the "coming weeks" (several weeks ago lol), but I just wish we had an idea of when we may know. It's almost March, so it has to be soon.....hopefully....

23 hours ago, Anon_Phd said:

Has anyone heard anything about the timeline for decisions for Hopkins International Health- Global Epi? 

I see there were already a few rejections....

This wait will be the death of me.

I was told we'll hear sometime last week or this week. I'm dying of anxiety here.