PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

45 minutes ago, publichealthPhD said:

Just got my rejection from Brown's HSR program. This was expected as I wasn't interviewed. 3/4 rejections so far. The 4th will come soon, as I haven't been interviewed there. I'm going to need to regroup and re-strategize for next year's cycle.

I've been working in maternal and child health space for 12 years, am a returned Peace Corps Volunteer, I graduated with my MPH from Johns Hopkins where I won an award for my capstone research project. I worked on monitoring and evaluation of global maternal and child health programs for a few years post-MPH, and for the last three years I've been working as a researcher at a Harvard SPH lab. I have first authored 2 papers, second-authored 3 papers, and am a middle author in some others. I did not submit my GREs unless required. I'm interested in the intersection of MCH quality of care and implementation science. My recommenders are well-known in the field.

I'm writing all of this to contribute to the ongoing conversation on this forum to de-stigmatize rejection. I'm trying to view this as an opportunity rather than a failure. I only applied to schools that were geographically close this year due to covid, so next year I'll get to expand my search a bit more. Hopefully that will make it easier to find a better match.  I'm using this year to regroup, gain more experience, and to identify programs that might be a better fit. (And maybe try for a kid pre-PhD!).

This has been a great forum! It's good to know that there are so many up-and-coming, qualified, passionate public health researchers. We need it! Good luck to you all!

Thank you SO much for this post and for your positivity! And for all the accomplishments that you have achieved and will achieve! One thing I absolutely love working in this field is that I am surrounded by inspiring and committed individuals. I believe eventually we will be in a place where we truly belong to. Yes, de-stigmatize rejection! 

As our research interests overlaps a bit (Implementation Science), one thing I learned from this application cycle is that different programs/groups might really mean different things even using the same term, as the field isn't really well-established yet (or to some people it has been there for a long time, just with a different name). I actually had a lot of reflections on this. But, we need more implementation science researchers :)!!!

11 hours ago, Jbirdphd said:

I applied for PhD's at UCLA epi, USC pop health and places, UCI public health (have an interview this week), and UCSD public health behaviors.  Does anyone know anything about USC or UCI? 

I am later in life (mid-40's) career change, 3.8 graduate GPA with recs from Harvard biostats prof and a retired Roosevelt professor.  I expect nothing from UCLA since they didn't have any faculty who worked in the areas I was interested.  

I also applied for USC PHP program and have heard nothing back yet

Hi Folks! A long-time lurker and second-time applicant here. I am so thankful for you and your work; I'm also thankful for your generosity and positivity. 

Has anyone heard (interview requests, decisions, etc.) from NYU (PhD Epi) or Columbia (DrPH Epi)?

Pending for me:

(No updates)

• Columbia DrPH Epi
  • NYU GPH PhD Epi
  • GW DrPH Global Health
  • JHU DrPH Global Health 

Decisions for me:

• Harvard PHS - Rejected, No Interview

1 hour ago, bluejayfang said:

Hi Folks! A long-time lurker and second-time applicant here. I am so thankful for you and your work; I'm also thankful for your generosity and positivity. 

Has anyone heard (interview requests, decisions, etc.) from NYU (PhD Epi) or Columbia (DrPH Epi)?

Pending for me:

(No updates)

• Columbia DrPH Epi
  • NYU GPH PhD Epi
  • GW DrPH Global Health
  • JHU DrPH Global Health 

Decisions for me:

Hi, I also applied to GW DrPH and have not heard back.

2 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Thank you!! Unfortunately, no departmental funding. But i'm eligible for some scholarships which I will find out about later

So is JHU a thing of the past? See, look at the universe go! You are where you’re supposed to be. ❤️

2 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

So is JHU a thing of the past? See, look at the universe go! You are where you’re supposed to be. ❤️

Thanks so much ❤️

LOL JHU is still in my top choices! But yes, you are right! The universe works in mysterious ways. Literally called my dad this morning and cried. I've gotten so many rejections in the past 3 years, but kept pushing and continued to believe in myself and improve myself.

DREAMS COME TRUE. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

16 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Thanks so much ❤️

LOL JHU is still in my top choices! But yes, you are right! The universe works in mysterious ways. Literally called my dad this morning and cried. I've gotten so many rejections in the past 3 years, but kept pushing and continued to believe in myself and improve myself.

Amazing!!! Congratulations!!!? 

23 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Thanks so much ❤️

Now I'm tearing up too, LOL! Congratulations!!!!

5 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

Just got my rejection from Brown's HSR program. This was expected as I wasn't interviewed. 3/4 rejections so far. The 4th will come soon, as I haven't been interviewed there. I'm going to need to regroup and re-strategize for next year's cycle.

I've been working in maternal and child health space for 12 years, am a returned Peace Corps Volunteer, I graduated with my MPH from Johns Hopkins where I won an award for my capstone research project. I worked on monitoring and evaluation of global maternal and child health programs for a few years post-MPH, and for the last three years I've been working as a researcher at a Harvard SPH lab. I have first authored 2 papers, second-authored 3 papers, and am a middle author in some others. I did not submit my GREs unless required. I'm interested in the intersection of MCH quality of care and implementation science. My recommenders are well-known in the field.

I'm writing all of this to contribute to the ongoing conversation on this forum to de-stigmatize rejection. I'm trying to view this as an opportunity rather than a failure. I only applied to schools that were geographically close this year due to covid, so next year I'll get to expand my search a bit more. Hopefully that will make it easier to find a better match.  I'm using this year to regroup, gain more experience, and to identify programs that might be a better fit. (And maybe try for a kid pre-PhD!).

This has been a great forum! It's good to know that there are so many up-and-coming, qualified, passionate public health researchers. We need it! Good luck to you all!

This was so helpful to hear and appreciate you putting all these details out there! Also wow @ everything you've accomplished so far!!! Am sure great things will be coming to you soon

10 minutes ago, HPM21 said:

Anyone heard from Stanford Health Policy, decision science track?  

I interviewed for that track last week.

How about UNC Health Policy and Management? I noticed an acceptance on the results page. Any interviewees out there?

Edited by t12345

6 hours ago, publichealthPhD said:

You are most definitely a great candidate considering your professional background and achievements! You should be proud. 

Personally, this was my second time applying. For my first cycle, I only applied to 5 programs and got rejections from all of them. This time I applied to 13 programs all across the nation and have only received two acceptances so far. My advice to you and anyone else is never to doubt your experiences but, better yet, to apply broadly as it increases your possibilities of interviews/acceptances considering the enormous competition out there. 

Best of luck in your future endeavors! I’m sure your next cycle will be much stronger. Keep the positive vibes ?

4 hours ago, bluejayfang said:

Pending for me:

(No updates)

• Columbia DrPH Epi
  • NYU GPH PhD Epi
  • GW DrPH Global Health
  • JHU DrPH Global Health 

Decisions for me:

I had an interview for NYU Epi PhD this week, and am going to an "interview" day event for NYU next week. I think @teabunny is also interviewing for the NYU PhD, though in a different dept.

Haven't heard anything on Columbia Epi PhD.

44 minutes ago, moosepup said:

I had an interview for NYU Epi PhD this week, and am going to an "interview" day event for NYU next week. I think @teabunny is also interviewing for the NYU PhD, though in a different dept.

Haven't heard anything on Columbia Epi PhD.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck! I’ll keep crossing my fingers for an invite but chances seem slim now. 

7 hours ago, moosepup said:

Wow wow wow!! I have to say a huge thank you to everything you've contributed to the field (and the world!) so far in your career. You're a rock star and going to continue doing great things. ? Also - shoutout from another MCH researcher later in her career considering having a kid during PhD apps/school!! I did AmeriCorps but still feel a bit of camaraderie with you there too. You rock! ? 

I'm over 30, applying for MCH epi, and also about to try and get my eggs frozen for a time when I've completed coursework. We're all a bit nuts, but I wouldn't have it any other way ❤️