PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

22 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Well, I applied to Oxford and Cambridge, and they don't always provide funding. They may provide partial funding, but not always. Either way, I'm okay with it. Additionally, I intend to also apply for external scholarships during my studies.

I definitely see your point though. But I would be willing take the hit if it means I get into a program that I think is the best fit for me, and will provide me with the tools to succeed in my future.

I think it’s a bit of a risk, for the reasons mentioned by others- are you sure you’ll be able to get useful research experience and mentorship without funding? Will you only be expected to pay tuition/fees but get some payment for a research assistantship/TA opportunities? If not, how will you be able to get those opportunities?

that said, JHU literally started funding people like 3ish years ago? So they may have more experience with it that programs that have been fully-funded for longer, and you might be able to scramble and find funding after a semester or so. If you’re serious about this, wouldn’t hurt to ask. 

Just now, brightbluebirds said:

Congrats!!!

Was this for epidemiology? I was wondering if interviews are required since I thought they just sent decisions out late feb/early march. Thanks!

Thank you :) yup! It was for epidemiology. A faculty member I am interested in working with actually reached out to meet via zoom. I’m not too sure if interviews are required for every applicant though. 

2 hours ago, DarkPassenger said:

Great advice - thank you! The AdComs were quite transparent about how the waitlist works. Basically there are two ways for movement to occur on the waitlist: 1) someone declines their offer, and/or 2) the program is currently competing for additional funding sources for which they will find out in late Feb. If they get this, then another spot(s) may potentially open up. 

I was a bit hesitant to ask about my rank/position on the waitlist, so I didn't bother and simply said thank you and said I was excited and honoured be on the waitlist. I'm not sure if they would disclose the rank + I don't want to seem desperate lol. Thoughts?

I also agree with you about choosing the right wording when talking about self-funding. My intention is certainly not to buy my way in lol

I would say in the U.S. context, asking about your ranking on the waitlist is totally ok, and would appear to be less desperate compared to talking to the program about self-funding. In the U.S., usually people would expect PhD funding from top programs in the science and social science field, which is very different from some of the European programs (I know some European faculty ONLY takes students through government scholarships, I think to some extent it is unethical or just sad). 

As an international student, the funding issue is constantly on my mind, as we do not qualify for government training grant, which is kinda depressing already (in terms of being a competitive Ph.D. on the job market/finding a postdoc and do a dissertation that I really love). For me, I would prefer the program and the faculty to be willing and have the capacity to invest in me instead of "we can provide you the tools, here you go, go figure".

That being said, if you really want to attend the program, definitely reaching out to the program and asking about options of self-funding or applying for external scholarships. It does make a huge difference for some programs, but definitely not others. Especially with international applicants, if you can apply for external scholarships (e.g. government scholarships), programs might feel more at ease about it. 

Edited by xxxxling

Hi guys,

I hope everybody is doing great. I was wondering if anybody got a decision for PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering program at the University of Pittsburgh?
One of the schools I applied to, is the University of Pittsburgh, and I had a positive interview with one of the faculty members. 

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Sadra_rk said:

Hi guys,

I hope everybody is doing great. I was wondering if anybody got a decision for PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering program at the University of Pittsburgh?
One of the schools I applied to, is the University of Pittsburgh, and I had a positive interview with one of the faculty members. 

Thanks.

This particular thread is primarily for Public Health-related PhD and DrPh programs, so I don't think anyone here will have information on Electrical & Computer Engineering. There is probably another thread on the forum with that information though!

13 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

My kid took his first steps today! I'm excited but also scared because I am totally not ready to chase him around everywhere. haha. 

Anyone else with good news today?! Let's cleanse the palate, burn some metaphorical sage, and move on to positivity. 

Awesome!! Way to go little one! Not sure if this your first, but from my perspective it only gets more fun (and hilarious) from here. My two little ones are 2 and 5 so it's all dinosaurs all the time. 

Hi all! I wanted to ask if anyone is planning to move away from their spouse/partner for their PhD? I am getting married this summer, and my fiance has a great career. However, he can only move to a select few cities where his company has an established office. We have discussed doing distance if I get into one of my top choice programs and he is unable to move.

For anyone moving - do you plan to stay in the location for the duration of your PhD, or would you try to relocate for the dissertation phase? To me, 2 years seems hard, but doable, during the coursework phase. But 4-5 years seems like a major stretch to me personally. I would love to hear other's thoughts on this!!

35 minutes ago, Ajrw said:

Awesome!! Way to go little one! Not sure if this your first, but from my perspective it only gets more fun (and hilarious) from here. My two little ones are 2 and 5 so it's all dinosaurs all the time. 

Yes! This is my first. Every day I’m learning so much and man, I love it. I love all the smiles and laughs, and how fast he’s flying through milestones. I especially love how happy he is, despite the world falling apart outside our front door. Being a parent is super hard but I’d be a lesser person without this little guy. 

okay. I’m going to go mist up someplace else. *sniff* anyone heard from any schools? *sniff* 

29 minutes ago, chicago_epi said:

Hi all! I wanted to ask if anyone is planning to move away from their spouse/partner for their PhD? I am getting married this summer, and my fiance has a great career. However, he can only move to a select few cities where his company has an established office. We have discussed doing distance if I get into one of my top choice programs and he is unable to move.

For anyone moving - do you plan to stay in the location for the duration of your PhD, or would you try to relocate for the dissertation phase? To me, 2 years seems hard, but doable, during the coursework phase. But 4-5 years seems like a major stretch to me personally. I would love to hear other's thoughts on this!!

Yep seriously considering it, depending on if/where I am accepted.

My plan would be 1-2 years distance and then ideally do the dissertation phase remotely or semi-remotely.

14 hours ago, DrPH21 said:

Hi! I identify as LGBTQ+ and POC. Applied to DrPH programs, but my MPH is in the social & behavioral sciences. I'm happy to connect with you (and anyone!) to share experiences. Feel free to DM.

Congrats to all who have been accepted so far :) I'm still anxiously waiting for good news (or any update!). The radio silence from some schools is tough.

I also identify as LGBTQ+ and BIPOC, and applied to  DrPH programs.  My interests are also connected to social behavioral sciences.  I'd love to connect with a like-minded community.  ?

48 minutes ago, chicago_epi said:

Hi! I am in a similar situation. I live with my partner who is in Med school and he will be doing his clinical rotations in the fall, and could possibly try to get his rotations done at a city nearby me but, the chances of that are low. Luckily I was accepted to a PhD program that is only 2 hours away from us. Personally, I would consider being close to my partner just because I have gone away in the past (for internships) and it was pretty difficult not having him around especially during stressful times. But everyone is different! I guess it all depends on first laying out all of your choices, weighing out pros and cons, and ultimately  choosing what makes you happy. Hope I helped somewhat. Good luck :) 

1 hour ago, Ajrw said:

I agree. Toddlerhood is exhausting, but so much fun! My little one is 2.5. 

@MCH_Hopeful_2021 @Ajrw Also glad to see I am not the only lunatic attempting to pursue a doctorate with baby/ies at home lol. 

18 minutes ago, drunkenduck said:

I think Tulane PhD results should be coming out any time now. Anybody hear anything? 

I have the same inkling! I got an email from the POI I interviewed with on 1/28 that said the department was finalizing admissions, funding, and scholarships, and that was almost 2 weeks ago...

10 minutes ago, Littlefastpenguin said:

Hi! I am in a similar situation. I live with my partner who is in Med school and he will be doing his clinical rotations in the fall, and could possibly try to get his rotations done at a city nearby me but, the chances of that are low. Luckily I was accepted to a PhD program that is only 2 hours away from us. Personally, I would consider being close to my partner just because I have gone away in the past (for internships) and it was pretty difficult not having him around especially during stressful times. But everyone is different! I guess it all depends on first laying out all of your choices, weighing out pros and cons, and ultimately  choosing what makes you happy. Hope I helped somewhat. Good luck :) 

Thank you so much! This was super helpful - I know it is such a personal decision, but it is really nice to hear what other people consider. Being near my partner is definitely important, considering how stressful grad school can be at times! Congrats on your acceptance and good luck with everything :)

Salam fellow applicants,

I was hoping to get a jump on the methods courses I’ll be taking in Fall, and wanted to do a small behavioral study among public health applicants who use Grad Cafe. Please answer the following questions as honestly as possible:

(1) Do you identify as something other than male or female?

(2) Do you engage in high-intensity anaerobic exercise 90 minutes or more per week?

(3) Do you post on social media about your diet once or more per week?

(4) Do you refer to strangers on the internet as “sweetie”, “sweet summer child”, or some related permutation once or more per week?

(5) Was your undergraduate degree in a non-STEM field? For sake of this questionnaire, we define STEM as mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, exercise physiology, nutritional sciences, or engineering. 

Thank you for your input! Have a blessed (non-denominational of course) day! 

1 hour ago, chicago_epi said:

Hi! I agree with some other folks that this is a hard situation. Personally, I moved away from my partner for my master degree, thinking it'd only be for two years & it's definitely been harder. Because I did decide to apply for PhDs right after, our plan is for him to move out with me wherever that may be (either for a program or job if I don't get in somewhere). I'm fortunate his company has offices basically across the entire country; however, we're anticipating his move might be a few months after I do since he would need to secure a transfer beforehand. 

I did also try to apply to programs in cities he would also enjoy, because I knew it was a possibility to go remote after prelims. and would have felt bad if he uprooted entirely for something/somewhere he wasn't excited for.

26 minutes ago, chicago_epi said:

Thank you so much! This was super helpful - I know it is such a personal decision, but it is really nice to hear what other people consider. Being near my partner is definitely important, considering how stressful grad school can be at times! Congrats on your acceptance and good luck with everything :)

Glad I was able to help! Wishing you the best. I’m sure it’ll work out in your favor :) 

57 minutes ago, ProspectivePhD said:

I have the same inkling! I got an email from the POI I interviewed with on 1/28 that said the department was finalizing admissions, funding, and scholarships, and that was almost 2 weeks ago...

I keep getting emails from them inviting me to their virtual open houses, and I keep thinking I'm getting a decision! ?