PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

22 minutes ago, MarP said:

Hey! Do you mind sharing how your interview went and what was the format/questions

Yes it was pretty casual, with five members of the adcomm. They asked basic “tell me about yourself” and “why our program,” “ what could contribute etc.” It was pretty casual, and they were very friendly. They gave me 10 minutes to ask questions. Are you interviewing for their DrPH? 

Hi everyone! Just wanted to provide an update. I was accepted to U Michigan's Epi PhD program today. I was surprised to hear from them so soon, as they stated in the interview that decisions would be released by mid-March. I'm very excited! I hope others will continue to receive great news. 

On 1/22/2021 at 11:26 AM, Jungle345 said:

I also applied to Rutgers DrPH-- I reached out to the Admissions Director their yesterday to ask if admission is rolling (because it's not super specific on their website) and he said that their priority deadline just passed (1/15) so they're starting to review apps now. 

On 1/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, DrPH or Bust said:

Thanks for the info!  Best of luck to both of us.  The waiting game is brutal.  Did you apply to any other DrPH programs?

On 1/22/2021 at 11:33 AM, Jungle345 said:

Yes, I applied to majority hybrid programs -- Rutgers, Georgia Southern, Medical College of Wisconsin, New York Medical College (non-hybrid). So far I've only heard from MCW (had an interview in December and nothing back from that so far..) Agreed the wait is really hard! Wish you the best of luck! 

Hi! I also applied to Rutgers DrPH. My SOPHAS was verified back in Oct 2020, and I hadn't heard anything from them (not even an email confirming my application was received). I reached out today and got this reply: 

We recently passed out priority application deadline for our DrPH program, and our admissions committee is in the process of making decisions. We will be notifying students of their decisions as soon as that process is completed. We hope to have decisions sent out before the end of the month.

Hope this provides some support! 

On 2/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, jonpalisoc said:

Update - UCLA HPM offer came in today a couple hours ago! Sending good vibes to everyone else!

wow, congrats! I also applied to UCLA HPM, but received nothing now, maybe i should assume out

Hi everyone. I'm a non-US applicant, so this might be a stupid question: why do some schools limit number of seats according to available funding packages? I've been waitlisted at a school, and it is primarily due to lack of $$ available. Why can't students bring in their own funding source? For instance, my family can support me, which I am very grateful for. I know this is the case a lot of the times in the UK, where you don't receive funding or receive partial funding. Same situation for some Canadian schools. Basically, why can't students offer to fund themselves, and thus open up more spots in the program?

Thanks!

Edited by DarkPassenger

On 2/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, ham1 said:

I applied to both the PhD program and the training program. I'm not certain about if interviews are normally conducted for Columbia, and I haven't seen anyone else mentioning that they have gotten word from the school.. I know the training program only takes one student per year, so it seems my chances are low.. It's all been very mysterious to me so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful! 

Interview is required as part of the admission process at Columbia for PhD Epi.

I know people are starting to hear back from Columbia mailman on this forum... I emailed the admissions team regarding EHS PHD admissions and I was told they traditionally don't conduct interviews, I'm getting nervous now, I haven't heard anything from them lol

I also applied to NYU Epi at GPH, NYU Environmental Health Science at GSAS, and CUNY SPH Epi and their Environmental health program and have not heard back from any :(   Fingers crossed ?

Anyone hear back from those programs? How did interviews go? Best of luck to everyone!

28 minutes ago, worldpeace said:

Interview is required as part of the admission process at Columbia for PhD Epi.

do you know if they have started interviewing at Columbia for PhD Epidemiology?

Edited by denify

Alrighty, first time posting!

After reading through I see most of the same things, but here are my apps and statuses:

1) Brown BSHS - Rejected

2) Emory BSHE - Rejected

3) JHU SBS - No response

4) UMich HBHE - No response 

5) USC Population, Health and Place - No response 

Edited by StePhDen

34 minutes ago, PhDHopeful21 said:

Hello! Has anyone heard back from Yale Chronic Disease Epi? I know interviews are scheduled for EMD for this week but was wondering if the its the same for other tracks? 

Hi! I heard back last week from the Chronic Disease Epi department. I had an interview last week, and then 3 scheduled throughout this week!

5 minutes ago, StePhDen said:

After reading through I see most of the same things, but here are my apps and statuses:

1) Brown BSHS - Rejected

2) Emory BSHE - Rejected

3) JHU SBS - No response

I also applied to PhD programs in sociology, too (NYU, UMich, and Stanford) ... I can't really find a forum for that but if anyone knows of anything please let me know :) 

I'm sorry to hear about your rejections ?  But wishing you good luck and that you hear some positive news from one of your programs!

I also applied to UMich HBHE and haven't heard a thing either. I'm hoping to hear something this week or upcoming week because I know they do require interviews for admission. 

9 minutes ago, StePhDen said:

1) Brown BSHS - Rejected

2) Emory BSHE - Rejected

3) JHU SBS - No response

I also applied to PhD programs in sociology, too (NYU, UMich, and Stanford) ... I can't really find a forum for that but if anyone knows of anything please let me know :) 

the sociology post is under "2021 cycle" 

49 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

Hi everyone. I'm a non-US applicant, so this might be a stupid question: why do some schools limit number of seats according to available funding packages? I've been waitlisted at a school, and it is primarily due to lack of $$ available. Why can't students bring in their own funding source? For instance, my family can support me, which I am very grateful for. I know this is the case a lot of the times in the UK, where you don't receive funding or receive partial funding. Same situation for some Canadian schools. Basically, why can't students offer to fund themselves, and thus open up more spots in the program?

Thanks!

Interesting... although I wonder from a stance of equity and inclusion what it would mean for low-income students who don’t have quite the same privilege. Would allowing students entry who can bankroll their education (via loans, parents, savings etc) disincentivize schools from funding students without those kind of means? Also, I wonder if someone funding their own education in some ways be at a disadvantage down the road, considering others would have had paid research and teaching assistantships, while they have not. 

4 minutes ago, ProspectivePhD said:

I'm sorry to hear about your rejections ?  But wishing you good luck and that you hear some positive news from one of your programs!

I also applied to UMich HBHE and haven't heard a thing either. I'm hoping to hear something this week or upcoming week because I know they do require interviews for admission. 

Thank you! And yeah, I had a friend interview at UMich already for the same program and they mentioned sending decisions out in waves -- assuming no responses is a good sign so far haha! Good luck :)

20 minutes ago, denify said:

do you know if they have started interviewing at Columbia for PhD Epidemiology?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so? Columbia is usually quite late in interviewing their applicants. Mine was done in mid or late Feb and I was notified around mid March.

5 minutes ago, StePhDen said:

Thank you! And yeah, I had a friend interview at UMich already for the same program and they mentioned sending decisions out in waves -- assuming no responses is a good sign so far haha! Good luck :)

That makes a lot of sense! I know I spoke with various people in the department (department coordinator, faculty and some current doc students) & the program seems to be extremely small (like so many other great schools) ?   I heard they try to get decisions out by early March at the latest, so hopefully we hear back soon!!

5 minutes ago, worldpeace said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think so? Columbia is usually quite late in interviewing their applicants. Mine was done in mid or late Feb and I was notified around mid March.

ok thanks 

11 minutes ago, worldpeace said:

Hello, I emailed admissions regarding their "congratulations and welcome to Columbia public health" glitch on their portal and they said no decisions have been given. We can expect to hear back by March 1st. 

Salam fellow applicants,

I have been viewing this message board for some time now, and have two questions for the general community:

(1) Has absolutely nobody applied to state schools, or is it a matter of only claiming JHU/Harvard/Yale to show off to the other anonymous posters? Posting your “stats” on page 5 didn’t get you enough of a dopamine rush?

(2) What’s with the “we’re in this together” and “good luck” posts? We’re absolutely not, and we’re competing against each other for limited spaces, respectively. I mean, unless it’s a southern-sweet show of force, then that’s sensible. This isn’t tennis. 

Alright, have a nice day.