PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

Hi all, I finally created an account just to post this (I know I’ve seen a few people ask about this program): I reached out to Stanford about the timeline for Health Policy PhD decisions and was told they are still reviewing applicants and “hope to” release decisions some time in early April. This is the only school I’ve reached out to about a timeline during this whole process and I’m a bit horrified. I did not interview and have seen that some people did (so maybe this timeline only applies to me? lol), so am not expecting to get in at this point, but I have heard from all my other top choice programs so wanted to know before committing. I get that it’s probably a very difficult year to review applications, but this timeline seems a bit harsh considering the 4/15 decision deadline everywhere.

1 hour ago, 2021phd said:

Hi all, I finally created an account just to post this (I know I’ve seen a few people ask about this program): I reached out to Stanford about the timeline for Health Policy PhD decisions and was told they are still reviewing applicants and “hope to” release decisions some time in early April. This is the only school I’ve reached out to about a timeline during this whole process and I’m a bit horrified. I did not interview and have seen that some people did (so maybe this timeline only applies to me? lol), so am not expecting to get in at this point, but I have heard from all my other top choice programs so wanted to know before committing. I get that it’s probably a very difficult year to review applications, but this timeline seems a bit harsh considering the 4/15 decision deadline everywhere.

What in the world, decisions in April?! I am also waiting on them (+Harvard, Yale, UNC) and have two open offers with deadlines, both with mid-April deadlines for acceptance.

I certainly understand it's a strange cycle for programs, but was really hoping to have full information to make my decision by mid-March...

Edited by jonpalisoc

1 hour ago, 2021phd said:

Early April as a "hopeful" is crazy. I know beggars can't necessarily be choosers during this cycle but I'm kind of fed up and emailed one of my schools about when to expect a decision (while trying to briefly hype myself up lol). I will keep y'all posted on if I even get a reply on my question, let alone a decision.

7 minutes ago, EJ_PhD said:

Early April as a "hopeful" is crazy. I know beggars can't necessarily be choosers during this cycle but I'm kind of fed up and emailed one of my schools about when to expect a decision (while trying to briefly hype myself up lol). I will keep y'all posted on if I even get a reply on my question, let alone a decision.

I emailed one school, too, and they basically said "You'll know when you know..." It's the worst.

2 hours ago, jonpalisoc said:

What in the world, decisions in April?! I am also waiting on them (+Harvard, Yale, UNC) and have two open offers with deadlines, both with mid-April deadlines for acceptance.

I certainly understand it's a strange cycle for programs, but was really hoping to have full information to make my decision by mid-March...

on the same boat... although I assume I am already out, but i just want to have full information before I accept an offer...

On 2/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, mr444 said:

Hi everyone, I don't know how to process emotions well and I am still in shock but I just received notice of my acceptance from Johns Hopkins into their Mental Health PhD program. For the past week I have been feeling so much anxiety waiting for their response to the point where each time I slept, I had a dream that I received a response (both good and bad) from them. I'm happy to say I can finally sleep in peace after this! Lol Anyways, before I tell the rest of my friends, I felt the need to come on here and share this news with you all. I just want you all to know how grateful I am to have found a community as supportive as yourselves. You have all been so encouraging through this process and it made it easer for me to handle each rejection I faced (UWash, Boston, Michigan, and Brown). You all taught me to handle rejection as a redirection, and I was beginning to come to terms that if this year wasn't my year then I would simply have to try again. This is my second time applying to doctoral programs btw. Nonetheless, I appreciate you all and hope you all receive great news soon. May the universe bless you during this time. 

Congrats!!! Did you interview with JHU Mental Health?

12 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Waitlisted by UCSF.  Heartbreaking ?

I know there's still a chance, I know. 

Received reply from the director, it's more about able/unable to secure funding for me, which comes no surprise as I'm an international student. I don't have my hopes up as other domestic students declining offers are probably not that relevant to my funding mechanism. 

Really love the program. Willing to reapply next year. After that reply I feel much better ?

On 2/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, EJ_PhD said:

Did you have interviews for the respective programs? I'm still waiting on the Epi program and it's been radio silent

Hi! I've been in contact with my PI from Tulane's epi program. He let me know they recommended me for admission but I haven't received an official offer letter yet. He just updated me that these will be sent out in 1-2 weeks. 

PS I didn't interview.

19 hours ago, jonpalisoc said:

I was interviewed for this program and recently sent an email to ask for the decisions. They told me "The admissions process is still ongoing, but we hope to have decisions out shortly.". 

I guess the April deadline is not accurate, as I was also told in my interview (around 3 weeks ago) that the decisions should be out in 2-3 weeks. I think we should have the decisions next week.

BTW, did you interview with UNC? 

Edited by F4rbod

1 minute ago, PhDAPP2021 said:

Hi everyone! The round this year seems so competitive with increased applicants and limited spots. And I was wondering if the next round would be better or be same situation as this year. Any thoughts on it?

I was thinking about this as well. I really don't know if next year is going to be all that different. I can anticipate that all the great applicants from this year that didn't get in will apply again next year along with other great applications. I almost think it could the same or even more competitive next year. What are other people's thoughts?

6 minutes ago, FDawg said:

I was thinking about this as well. I really don't know if next year is going to be all that different. I can anticipate that all the great applicants from this year that didn't get in will apply again next year along with other great applications. I almost think it could the same or even more competitive next year. What are other people's thoughts?

Same thoughts here. I received an offer from a school that is not on my top list and was thinking whether to apply for the next round. But I doubt if things would change in such a short time and am really getting PSTD for this "waiting - rejected" process.

10 minutes ago, PhDAPP2021 said:

Hi everyone! The round this year seems so competitive with increased applicants and limited spots. And I was wondering if the next round would be better or be same situation as this year. Any thoughts on it?

7 minutes ago, FDawg said:

I agree with @FDawg, I don't think next year will be easier. Many excellent people with good stats would have been admitted to their dream programs if there was no COVID. But now, maybe they'll decide to try again... But maybe less people will make deferment this year... 

6 minutes ago, PhDAPP2021 said:

Same thoughts here. I received an offer from a school that is not on my top list and was thinking whether to apply for the next round. But I doubt if things would change in such a short time and am really getting PSTD for this "waiting - rejected" process.

One of the reason of schools getting so many applications is also the removal of GRE requirement (also reduced application related cost), which is a trend even before COVID, COVID just expedited the process. Not sure if it will be waived for next year, but likely? I probably would reapply next year unless I'm off my waitlist, will expand my location and program choices to get the net bigger.

Rejected from Yale's PhD in Chronic Disease Epidemiology - no email notification, just a random login on the portal showed an update today.

I only have one more application yet to make a decision and it's the only one that I think I would have trouble deciding compared to my offer in hand.

1 hour ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

One of the reason of schools getting so many applications is also the removal of GRE requirement (also reduced application related cost), which is a trend even before COVID, COVID just expedited the process. Not sure if it will be waived for next year, but likely? I probably would reapply next year unless I'm off my waitlist, will expand my location and program choices to get the net bigger.

1 hour ago, yukikirito said:

I agree with @FDawg, I don't think next year will be easier. Many excellent people with good stats would have been admitted to their dream programs if there was no COVID. But now, maybe they'll decide to try again... But maybe less people will make deferment this year... 

I recently spoke to a doctoral program director and asked if she had any insights as to why application numbers were so high across programs. 

She shared that in her 10+ years on the admin side of the program, anytime the economy is not stable applications go up bc people tend to see it as a good time for skill building. This year it was further reinforced by covid putting the spotlight on public health, and it may have motivated more people to seek out advanced ph training. She said it wasn't just volume that made it so competitive, but that so many applicants were really, really good.

Thought they were interesting insights!

Edited by Going4DrPH