PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

I was fortunate enough to be admitted earlier this week to PhD programs in Health Policy at Stanford and Harvard, the decision science track for both schools.

I went into this process with a research question in mind, and during my interviews I was asked (read: grilled) about my topic and why it was appropriate for decision science and not economics, for example. I think that being purposeful, specific (I applied to three schools), and demonstrating that I was reading and thinking about the discipline outside of my day job in population health was a boon to my application. In several interviews I talked about how things I had recently read had shaped my thinking, even when the books weren't specific to health policy ("Thinking, Fast and Slow", "Mountains Beyond Mountains", random articles I had read).

I did reach out to professors before submitting and followed up when they recommended other faculty to talk to. When it came to the statement, I tried to answer three questions: "Why this?," "Why now?," "Why me?" I wanted the committee to want to meet me, not necessarily by having an intriguing background but by posing interesting questions. Naturally many of my interviews challenged me about the questions I posed in my statement. In hindsight, I don't think they expected me to have the right answers (that's what the PhD is for!) but to demonstrate my willingness to wrestle with them and engage intellectually.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm very excited to think about healthcare fulltime, free from my corporate obligations! ?

13 minutes ago, t12345 said:

I was fortunate enough to be admitted earlier this week to PhD programs in Health Policy at Stanford and Harvard, the decision science track for both schools.

I went into this process with a research question in mind, and during my interviews I was asked (read: grilled) about my topic and why it was appropriate for decision science and not economics, for example. I think that being purposeful, specific (I applied to three schools), and demonstrating that I was reading and thinking about the discipline outside of my day job in population health was a boon to my application. In several interviews I talked about how things I had recently read had shaped my thinking, even when the books weren't specific to health policy ("Thinking, Fast and Slow", "Mountains Beyond Mountains", random articles I had read).

I did reach out to professors before submitting and followed up when they recommended other faculty to talk to. When it came to the statement, I tried to answer three questions: "Why this?," "Why now?," "Why me?" I wanted the committee to want to meet me, not necessarily by having an intriguing background but by posing interesting questions. Naturally many of my interviews challenged me about the questions I posed in my statement. In hindsight, I don't think they expected me to have the right answers (that's what the PhD is for!) but to demonstrate my willingness to wrestle with them and engage intellectually.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm very excited to think about healthcare fulltime, free from my corporate obligations! ?

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing! My approach was very different, so it’s really cool to see the ways that we conveyed our interests, fit, aptitude, etc. 

13 minutes ago, t12345 said:

Hi

Congratulations on your acceptances. I wonder if you were the poster for the Stanford program in the results page? 

I was also interviewed for the Stanford (health economics track) and wonder if I still have a chance or the slots are filled, so I will be more than happy if you could inform me on this. Also, if you have heard any information regarding the health economics track or anyone being accepted to it, it would be helpful to know.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Teebi said:

Have anyone heard back from Johns Hopkins DrPH Program? I applied to science implementation track! So far, complete silence from JHU.

Silence here too so far! Previous years were first week of March. About a month ago noticed some faculty/admins had viewed my linkedin but no contact. 

39 minutes ago, t12345 said:

Man, I wish I had read this before applying. I think my applications were fine, but the way you outlined it was very eloquent and well-reasoned and I think my application would've been even stronger if I had worded it this way.

I also think I really fudged up by telling Harvard I would be willing to consider the Methods track if they didn't like me for the Econ track. I spent a lot of hours and talked to a lot of professors debating on which track fit, and while I thought on paper I looked like the better fit for Methods, I had very concrete reasons for requesting Economics and I don't think my statements were clear enough as to why I chose the track.

And another pitfall I fell into that maybe others did: while I did have more interesting questions I could have posed in my statement, I chose to pick research areas that I had interest in but also were very much aligned to professors. I probably lent too much to that cause.

TLDR: Went too broad/general and tried to people please instead of challenge.

Agh, your whole blurb makes me want to try again next cycle, but I need to not be greedy :(

14 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I’m curious: Does anyone else have a unique approach to their personal statement or how they readied themselves for this process that those applying next year could benefit from? 

I don't know if my approach was unique in any way but happy to share the overall structure I used if it helps-

I started with a personal story and described the motivation which made me decide to explore an interest in global health, then went into a short overview of my academic/professional/educational journey, then I elaborated on one specific experience which shaped my 'academic' thought process and motivated me to apply for doctoral studies. Then I went into what I would want to study as a general topic area, what competencies I hope to build, and how the school/program I was applying for would be a good fit me/them.

A couple of colleagues shared their statements from a number of years back and they had a more 'traditional' approach I'd say, it felt more like a professional cover letter starting with 'this is the PhD I'm applying for', 'this is what I plan to study', 'these are the skills/experiences I have and this is what I learned from them', etc. I didn't find this structure jived all that well with my story as my motivation for going into global health was inherently personal and so that's why I went with my approach. 

Naturally if this application cycle doesn't work out I may have to re-think the approach ?

Happy to share a copy of my statement if that'd be helpful!

49 minutes ago, t12345 said:

This is super helpful! Thx so much!

42 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I’m curious: Does anyone else have a unique approach to their personal statement or how they readied themselves for this process that those applying next year could benefit from? 

I'm a Wuhan native, the COVID-19 outbreaks really influenced my decision to apply to UCSF, which is the only epi program that I applied to, as I have never identified/envisioned myself as an epidemiologist. It was very heart breaking to see how things evolved in the U.S. (I sent out email warnings to our university in Jan 2020 about potential community spread of COVID). I also saw the lack of translation (all aspects, from language, messages, to implementation) in the process and started to see the connection between my work in implementation science to all aspects in epidemiology. The UCSF system asks applicants to separate their research summary, statement of purpose (very short, 300ish words), and personal statement, so I have enough space in the personal statement to reflect and articulate why I want to contribute but also have a statement with concise language in academic writing (v.s. Harvard I only have 1000 words so not at an advantage with my research experiences scattered across disciplines). Interestingly even based on the materials they ask, I could tell which school is a better fit for me (I would be excited to work with POIs at both schools), which is an unexpected yet interesting observation that I had in this process. 

54 minutes ago, Ajrw said:

Silence here too so far! Previous years were first week of March. About a month ago noticed some faculty/admins had viewed my linkedin but no contact. 

I'm also waiting to hear from JHU DrPH. If they don't interview before a decision, how do they match the candidate with a faculty advisor? I remember they asked for up to 4 faculty members in the application. I'm curious if anyone currently in the program can comment on this process. 

22 hours ago, spatial_epi said:

I got into UNC Health Behavior too!! Over the moon, but I didn't get any funding or advisor info...just a generic email and acceptance letter. Assuming those details will be sent soonish?

@PhDProgramSocialBehavior Out of curiosity - did you both get emails/do you know what date your acceptance letters were uploaded to the UNC portal? I still haven't gotten an email to check the portal despite my acceptance being posted yesterday ?

Not super worried, but would be comforting to hear directly from the school lol!

Just now, phdhopeful14 said:

@PhDProgramSocialBehavior Out of curiosity - did you both get emails/do you know what date your acceptance letters were uploaded to the UNC portal? I still haven't gotten an email to check the portal despite my acceptance being posted yesterday ?

Not super worried, but would be comforting to hear directly from the school lol!

Oh weird! I did get an email (yesterday) but it was SUPER generic, just that I should check the portal. And it looks like the update to the portal was also made yesterday.

Weirdly, what happened to you also happened to me with Johns Hopkins (wait-listed there), and I similarly felt weird about it until the program director reached out lol. Maybe the email doesn't get sent if you happen to check the portal first? Not sure how technically advanced these portal systems are ?

1 hour ago, F4rbod said:

Hi

Congratulations on your acceptances. I wonder if you were the poster for the Stanford program in the results page? 

I was also interviewed for the Stanford (health economics track) and wonder if I still have a chance or the slots are filled, so I will be more than happy if you could inform me on this. Also, if you have heard any information regarding the health economics track or anyone being accepted to it, it would be helpful to know.

Thanks

Yes, I was that poster. I'm not sure whether acceptances have gone out for the econ track; I haven't been told about any joint activities for the cohort yet, so it's possible that not everyone has been notified.

11 minutes ago, phdhopeful14 said:

Yes I got a weird generic “there has been an update so check your portal” email. I assumed rejection but was surprised when I logged in and saw the acceptance 

3 hours ago, nyc_epi_2021 said:

Rejected from NYU via email. Still waiting to hear back from Columbia and CUNY (interviewed for both last week).

2 hours ago, JoeBlow said:

Email rejection notification from NYU GPH epi this morning. 

Waitlisted for NYU GPH Epi. Had an interview a few weeks ago that went really well.

11 minutes ago, Teandmusic said:

Hi all, I finally stopped being a lurker to inform that I just got a BU HSR acceptance via email so hopefully some others may get something there too :)

Hey there, me too!! And with that, I'm finally at the decision-making stage. Feeling very fortunate to be in this position but also overwhelmed!

7 hours ago, moosepup said:

This is sooooo helpful! Updating the list based on @ASA15's notes and adding Columbia's from their program handbook and what I can remember about NYU. Please feel free to copy this list and add info on other programs!!!

- Brown: 36K guaranteed for 5 years, TA required all semesters

- BU: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, no TA required

- Columbia (Mailman): 35k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 1 semester

- Emory: >30k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Harvard: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, TA required for 1 semester (@hopeful2020PhD please correct me)

- JHU (Hopkins): just tuition guaranteed~24k stipend for 4 years but NOT guaranteed, (TA requirements unknown)

- NYU: 25k??? for 5 years but only for 9 months/year, no TA required (@teabunny do you or anyone else remember the exact amount from the NYU interview day?)

- Penn State Uni: 31k for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Tulane: 25k for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- UCSF: ~40k guaranteed for 4 years, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Minnesota: 24-25k for unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Penn: 34k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Yale: 38k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 2 semesters

Updating Tulane info:

- Brown: 36K guaranteed for 5 years, TA required all semesters

- BU: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, no TA required

- Columbia (Mailman): 35k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 1 semester

- Emory: >30k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Harvard: 36k guaranteed for 4 years, TA required for 1 semester (@hopeful2020PhD please correct me)

- JHU (Hopkins): just tuition guaranteed~24k stipend for 4 years but NOT guaranteed, (TA requirements unknown)

- NYU: 25k??? for 5 years but only for 9 months/year, no TA required (@teabunny do you or anyone else remember the exact amount from the NYU interview day?)

- Penn State Uni: 31k for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Tulane: 28k for 4 years through RA-ing with advisor, no TA required, tuition, health insurance, fees guaranteed for 4 years

- UCSF: ~40k guaranteed for 4 years, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Minnesota: 24-25k for unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- U Penn: 34k stipend for an unknown duration, (TA requirements unknown)

- Yale: 38k guaranteed for 5 years, TA required for 2 semesters

Hi all, I saw someone posted on results page of acceptance by GWU EPI. Congrats and feel free to DM me.

I wonder if anyone has insights of GWU's EPI program. From the information session, it seems that funding is not great/maybe no funding. It is the only program with positive news so I am hesitant.