PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

57 minutes ago, bluejayfang said:

This is super helpful! Were the committee members mostly from environmental health or were they from across the school? 

One was from environmental health and one was from global health.

This may not be the best time for this question but I was wondering what were some motivations for people to choose DrPH programs over PhD? I had a hard time deciding which ones I wanted to apply to. I chose PhD mostly because of the funding. Were there other factors that you guys considered? 

I suppose people doing DrPH may already have a career and so they could stay on while studying. And I also feel it is for people seeking leadership roles. Are DrPH offered any funding? Curious to know too. I would choose PhD with the impression that it is more methodological intensive.

8 hours ago, BxEPI said:

I suppose people doing DrPH may already have a career and so they could stay on while studying. And I also feel it is for people seeking leadership roles. Are DrPH offered any funding? Curious to know too. I would choose PhD with the impression that it is more methodological intensive.

Yes, you got it right. I chose DrPH (specifically part-time) because I don't want to leave my job. My intent is to work on an issue (aligned with the work I am doing), test countermeasures at my organization or in partnership with the County. I am interested in seeking leadership positions upon completion. The ones I applied and researched did not offer any funding. 

2 hours ago, DrPH20xy said:

Yes, you got it right. I chose DrPH (specifically part-time) because I don't want to leave my job. My intent is to work on an issue (aligned with the work I am doing), test countermeasures at my organization or in partnership with the County. I am interested in seeking leadership positions upon completion. The ones I applied and researched did not offer any funding. 

I second this perspective. I don't want to leave my job but want to advance to a leadership role in my government organization. 

For background, this was my second time applying to only part-time (and online) programs. I only applied to one of the programs last year. I tailored my application materials specific to the program the second time and chose potential advisors who were a better fit. Another motivation for me was teaching at the university level without being a full-time academic. Funding wasn't necessarily a high priority for me since I'm already in a successful career in government, but it sounds like there are still some opportunities available to teach or guest lecture in specific courses, per my advisor. I'll probably find out more information about those opportunities later this week.

1 minute ago, CatMeow1234 said:

No news for me ?

Odd. How are you interpreting this lag? Seems to me that others have heard back weeks ago. And I’ve seen that Epi folks have heard back (via the search function). Are you thinking waitlist? 

20 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Odd. How are you interpreting this lag? Seems to me that others have heard back weeks ago. And I’ve seen that Epi folks have heard back (via the search function). Are you thinking waitlist? 

I actually have no idea - usually I look back to see prior year timelines, but with COVID I figure this year will not necessarily follow prior year timelines

Edited by CatMeow1234
wrote same thing 2x by accident

Aside from actually applying to a DrPH program…would visiting the campus, making a good impression on my potential committee members, having personal contact with the department head of the program (ex: exchanging cell numbers) whom I share similar goals with and who wants to be the chair of my committee, being in contact with former students, and being eligible to apply for a scholarship increase my chances of being accepted?

On 3/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, Notwherebutwhen said:

Updated-

This is for Ph.D. programs

Accepted: BU (interviewed), NYU (interviewed)

Pending decisions: UCLA (interviewed), USC (no interview)

Rejected: Emory (interviewed)

Anyone heard back from UCLA CHS and USC HBR yet? I'm seeing few acceptance for those two programs in the results page, so I'm just waiting for a rejection. 

Hi there, 

I was accepted into USC's HBR program in the end of January, but have yet to hear back from UCLA's CHS program! I heard UCLA is going to send out more decisions this month.

Wishing you the best of luck! I hope you get into your program of choice.