PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

5 hours ago, AspirePHL said:

Very useful posts and helpful forum. I too have received rejection letter from both HSPH and BUSPH for DrPh. Any idea what exactly they are looking in candidate? I am disappointed.  

My husband just graduated from the HSPH DrPH program last year. My understanding of that program is that they look for people who have very ambitious leadership aspirations. When he interviewed, he told them that he aspired to be the NIH director. They are also very intentional about putting together a cohort. His classmates all had unique interests and backgrounds. It's almost like they try to get one of everything, and work very hard to build a cohesive unit. I would try not to take it personally - it's such a crapshoot. You are likely very very qualified, but they could have been looking for someone with a very specific skillset or interest. Hope that's helpful. I'm not sure what the BU program looks for.

Edited by publichealthPhD

19 minutes ago, publichealthPhD said:

My husband just graduated from the HSPH DrPH program last year. My understanding of that program is that they look for people who have very ambitious leadership aspirations. When he interviewed, he told them that he aspired to be the NIH director. They are also very intentional about putting together a cohort. His classmates all had unique interests and backgrounds. It's almost like they try to get one of everything, and work very hard to build a cohesive unit. I would try not to take it personally - it's such a crapshoot. You are likely very very qualified, but they could have been looking for someone with a very specific skillset or interest. Hope that's helpful. I'm not sure what the BU program looks for.

Oh thank you, actually I am an international student a medical and public health professional and assumed that funding could be a problem in my admission. But never know where I have gone wrong.

4 hours ago, AspirePHL said:

Oh thank you, actually I am an international student a medical and public health professional and assumed that funding could be a problem in my admission. But never know where I have gone wrong.

Whether funding would be an issue for international students largely depends on the funding mechanism of each program. We do not qualify for the majority of the NIH training grant, other than 99/00 mechanism for dissertation and beyond which is very competitive because it's potentially a six yearish grant. That said, many programs (more private universities vs. public) have dedicated funding mechanisms for all students, and international student status don't matter that much (for those who qualify for NIH fellowship they may be at an advantage but might not influence the admission decision). 

But it is not just the funding mechanism for PhD/DrPH admission would play a role here. For example, international students don't qualify for many federal internships, fellowships, or positions in the U.S. (NIH, CDC etc.), and many companies will straight reject applicants that need visa sponsorship at the screening stage, so our job aspects are limited here. For DrPH then your past leadership experiences would really need to be highlighted and convincing, because programs also need to consider the job aspects and placements of incoming students, especially if the cohort is relatively small. 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

7 hours ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Whether funding would be an issue for international students largely depends on the funding mechanism of each program. We do not qualify for the majority of the NIH training grant, other than 99/00 mechanism for dissertation and beyond which is very competitive because it's potentially a six yearish grant. That said, many programs (more private universities vs. public) have dedicated funding mechanisms for all students, and international student status don't matter that much (for those who qualify for NIH fellowship they may be at an advantage but might not influence the admission decision). 

But it is not just the funding mechanism for PhD/DrPH admission would play a role here. For example, international students don't qualify for many federal internships, fellowships, or positions in the U.S. (NIH, CDC etc.), and many companies will straight reject applicants that need visa sponsorship at the screening stage, so our job aspects are limited here. For DrPH then your past leadership experiences would really need to be highlighted and convincing, because programs also need to consider the job aspects and placements of incoming students, especially if the cohort is relatively small. 

Thanks for your input. Will see what best will work in next application cycle. Right now totally disappointed and my mind is churning in all direction. One thing which I got to know from this process is that schools are really unpredictable. 

Did anyone apply to Georgia Southern's DrPH? The last I heard from them was back in Dec, asking for my GRE scores. Scores have been in since December and I haven't even gotten a "application under review" email. Anyone heard more from them? Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Ajrw said:

In theory!! I know that's how it was last year but can't remember if anyone heard anticipated timeline formally for this year. UNC did tell me to expect this week for their DrPH.

41 minutes ago, PublicHealth545 said:

Is this the week we hear back from JHU DrPH??

Yeah I think so. Good luck everyone!

28 minutes ago, F4rbod said:

Hi,

Any one has any idea about UNC's health policy and management? Do they have interviews?

When should we expect to hear?

I am not sure which program within the department you're referencing but the part time DrPH Executive Doctoral Program in Health had interviews in February and they indicated decisions would be out this week. This is not related the PhD programs though!

Just now, Ajrw said:

I am not sure which program within the department you're referencing but the part time DrPH Executive Doctoral Program in Health had interviews in February and they indicated decisions would be out this week. This is not related the PhD programs though!

Sorry I didn't mention. I was referring to the PhD program.

3 hours ago, brightbluebirds said:

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from UNC Epi? They said decisions would be out by the first week of March but I didn't actually think it would take this long. 

I'm still waiting ?

I didn't think it would take this long either. This waiting game has been so stressful

4 hours ago, Jungle345 said:

Did anyone apply to Georgia Southern's DrPH? The last I heard from them was back in Dec, asking for my GRE scores. Scores have been in since December and I haven't even gotten a "application under review" email. Anyone heard more from them? Thanks!

I heard from them on 2/15. Email said "Thank you for applying to the Fall 2021 DrPH program at Georgia State University School of Public Health.  Select applicants have already received an invitation to interview. The interviews will be taking place over a two-week period. By the end of February, the committee will meet to discuss the outcome of those interviews and whether any additional interviews will be offered. Please feel free to stay connected.  Hopefully, an update on the status of the admissions process can be given around March 1st. " ? 

To give some perspective regarding Stanford's PhD in health policy, economics track, today I received this email:

The admissions process is ongoing, but we hope to have updates out in the next 3-4 weeks.

So, I guess, it will be a long and stressful wait.

Updated-

This is for Ph.D. programs

Accepted: BU (interviewed), NYU (interviewed)

Pending decisions: UCLA (interviewed), USC (no interview)

Rejected: Emory (interviewed)

Anyone heard back from UCLA CHS and USC HBR yet? I'm seeing few acceptance for those two programs in the results page, so I'm just waiting for a rejection.