PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

3 minutes ago, Going4DrPH said:

I recently spoke to the program director at a school I was admitted to and asked if she had some interesting insights as to why application numbers were so high across programs. 

She shared that in her 10+ years on the admin side of the program, anytime the economy is not stable applications go up bc people tend to see it as a good time for skill building. This year it was further reinforced by covid putting the spotlight on public health, and it may have motivated more people to seek out advanced ph training. She said it wasn't just volume that made it so competitive, but that so many applicants were really, really good.

Thought they were interesting insights!

My economist brother said the same! Apparently after 2008, econ admissions went BANANAS for a few years. Other fields experienced a big uptick too. Looks like this year is the start of the same.

11 minutes ago, Going4DrPH said:

I recently spoke to the program director at a school I was admitted to and asked if she had some interesting insights as to why application numbers were so high across programs. 

She shared that in her 10+ years on the admin side of the program, anytime the economy is not stable applications go up bc people tend to see it as a good time for skill building. This year it was further reinforced by covid putting the spotlight on public health, and it may have motivated more people to seek out advanced ph training. She said it wasn't just volume that made it so competitive, but that so many applicants were really, really good.

Thought they were interesting insights!

This year it's not just public health apps are up, many fields' apps are up (data science, clinical psy etc.). I read a whole thread of twitter discussions on this, which is quite interesting, some POIs said they have never seen this before, not even during the 2008s (and the 2008s apps were for sure up as well). It's definitely a combination of different things. From what I read, potential of economic recession (reduced opportunity cost for getting an advanced degree), increased interests in some fields e.g. public health, waiving GRE and no requirement for site visits for interviews (as some applicants might need to pay out of pocket e.g. for med schools), and ppl staying at home bc of covid lol. 

Also there are programs that don't really have as much a huge increase in apps. I know one of a great program still requires GRE (also not in a big city) and didn't have huge bump in epi apps. 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

1 hour ago, yukikirito said:

I agree with @FDawg, I don't think next year will be easier. Many excellent people with good stats would have been admitted to their dream programs if there was no COVID. But now, maybe they'll decide to try again... But maybe less people will make deferment this year... 

I agree. I think the Fauci Effect is all too real and many people who were out in trenches of public health for years (like myself) are looking to retool for more prominent positions—which often require or prefer those with doctorates. Barring some large downside, I would not give up a spot in a program in the hopes that you’ll roll the dice and be even luckier next time. My grandma calls that “hustling backwards”  (and that’s not a good thing). 

Also, I see a lot of folks really focused on a brand name or a ranking. Forget that. Will this program get you to where you want to be (ie will your butt be working in a career of your choosing)? And will you be able to make an impact along the way? If the money is right and you’re answering “yes” to those questions, what more could you ask for? 

Officially in at Yale EMD! My dream program, and I’m so excited!

This is my second time applying to PhD programs. The first time (2 years ago) I applied to like 11 schools... was accepted to a few, but none of my first choices, and none with great funding (UW was a love of mine, but couldn’t deal with their funding situation). I chose to get 2 years of additional experience in order to really clarify my interests and goals, and applied to only 4 schools this time (something I was really regretting like a month ago) but ones with better fit matches. Was accepted to 2/4, including my first choice! 

So for anyone who didn’t get into the program they wanted this year... don’t lose hope! Everything happens as it’s meant to!

Also will be declining by spot at BU Epi... so hopefully it goes to the person who asked about BU waitlist here last week :) 

1 hour ago, phdhopeful14 said:

Hi all - I just heard back, and was admitted to UNC's PhD program in Health Behavior (first and only acceptance)! I'm wishing you all the best as you begin to hear back! 

21 minutes ago, PhDProgramSocialBehavior said:

Me too! Did you get any funding information?

I got into UNC Health Behavior too!! Over the moon, but I didn't get any funding or advisor info...just a generic email and acceptance letter. Assuming those details will be sent soonish?

Hi all! Just found this thread - super glad it exists! Just got a rejection from Yale SBS PhD program. This is my third rejection (also Harvard and Brown). I was waitlisted at Johns Hopkins but I am not super hopeful (I doubt many people turn down JHU). I took that one pretty hard because my interview went fantastic and I really felt that this program was a perfect fit (plus I was notified on my birthday - boo). I am waiting on two more but it is looking like this year isn't my year. Any thoughts on the likelihood of getting off a PhD waitlist?

27 minutes ago, PhDProgramSocialBehavior said:

Me too! Did you get any funding information?

4 minutes ago, spatial_epi said:

I got into UNC Health Behavior too!! Over the moon, but I didn't get any funding or advisor info...just a generic email and acceptance letter. Assuming those details will be sent soonish?

Congratulations to you both! I didn't get any funding info yet (honestly haven't even gotten an email - just checked the portal and was surprised to find I had an update ?) . Hopefully funding info comes through soon, but am just so happy to have gotten in (and to stop worrying so much about if I will/won't get in anywhere, as that was my last app I had to hear back from).

Edited by phdhopeful14

22 minutes ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

This year it's not just public health apps are up, many fields' apps are up (data science, clinical psy etc.). I read a whole thread of twitter discussions on this, which is quite interesting, some POIs said they have never seen this before, not even during the 2008s (and the 2008s apps were for sure up as well). It's definitely a combination of different things. From what I read, potential of economic recession (reduced opportunity cost for getting an advanced degree), increased interests in some fields e.g. public health, waiving GRE and no requirement for site visits for interviews (as some applicants might need to pay out of pocket e.g. for med schools), and ppl staying at home bc of covid lol. 

Also there are programs that don't really have as much a huge increase in apps. I know one of a great program still requires GRE (also not in a big city) and didn't have huge bump in epi apps. 

it makes a lot sense to me since many school waive GRE scores... besides the cost issue, as an international student, I feel lucky that many programs do not require GRE this year (remembering GRE vocab is not enjoyable at all T^T)

2 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For those that are admitted or have accepted an offer:

How did/will you celebrate and how do plan to prepare? Also, is anyone quitting their job anytime soon? 

Ordered takeout and had a nice-ish bottle of champagne. 

And I’m keeping my job through August pretty much I think... ideally I’d take a few months off to travel, but since that’s probably not happening this summer I figure I might as well keep making money while I can... 

34 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

I agree. I think the Fauci Effect is all too real and many people who were out in trenches of public health for years (like myself) are looking to retool for more prominent positions—which often require or prefer those with doctorates. Barring some large downside, I would not give up a spot in a program in the hopes that you’ll roll the dice and be even luckier next time. My grandma calls that “hustling backwards”  (and that’s not a good thing). 

Also, I see a lot of folks really focused on a brand name or a ranking. Forget that. Will this program get you to where you want to be (ie will your butt be working in a career of your choosing)? And will you be able to make an impact along the way? If the money is right and you’re answering “yes” to those questions, what more could you ask for? 

I love this perspective! So true, thanks for bringing us all back down to reality. If we really think about it, we are all so incredibly lucky to have the educational background, work experience, support from partners/family/friends, and the resources needed to be going through this process. Not that knowing that takes away from all the stress involved but it's a fun reframing for when we get too wrapped up in things.

28 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For those that are admitted or have accepted an offer:

How did/will you celebrate and how do plan to prepare? Also, is anyone quitting their job anytime soon? 

I booked a trip to Hawaii in early March, I thought it would be either for celebration or for healing. Now that I am waitlisted, I guess it's for both LOL. I know travel/vacation is discouraged but I am vaccinated and this is much needed. 

2 hours ago, F4rbod said:

I was interviewed for this program and recently sent an email to ask for the decisions. They told me "The admissions process is still ongoing, but we hope to have decisions out shortly.". 

I guess the April deadline is not accurate, as I was also told in my interview (around 3 weeks ago) that the decisions should be out in 2-3 weeks. I think we should have the decisions next week.

BTW, did you interview with UNC? 

That would be a much more reasonable time frame! Maybe April was a mistake and the admissions person I emailed meant early March. 

1 hour ago, 2021epiphd said:

Phd or DrPH? I haven't heard for phd after interviewing last monday. I think they will notify next week.

On the same boat, waiting to hear back after interviewing last Monday: When they had that glitch on the portal, I think someone from Admissions said they will have decisions by March 1st...so literally over the next couple days.

1 hour ago, 2021epiphd said:

Phd or DrPH? I haven't heard for phd after interviewing last monday. I think they will notify next week.

The Epi DrPH program

50 minutes ago, EJ_PhD said:

On the same boat, waiting to hear back after interviewing last Monday: When they had that glitch on the portal, I think someone from Admissions said they will have decisions by March 1st...so literally over the next couple days.

Thank you both for the information. Hope you both receive good news soon!

2 hours ago, ProspectivePhD said:

Rejected from Yale today (SBS), not surprised at all though as I didn't interview!

Also, I emailed Berkeley's department contact in Epi and she said that they're planning to release decisions next week!

I’m sorry about your rejection, maybe some good news from Berkeley will come your way next week! 
Did the email from refer to which department decisions are coming from?