PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

1 hour ago, Handsomejunior said:

Greetings everyone,

New here and this is a useful thread for sure! Anyone heard back from GWU?

Which GW program did you apply to? I applied to the DrPH and radio silence since November. 

Hey guys, I really have a question that hope someone can share with me some insights. How come sometimes the interview  went really well and looked promising, but the result came out with a rejection. The professor even said if any opportunities arising in the future, we should collaborate. I reached out to the professor and the program, all they can say was all faculty members spoke highly of you and enjoyed meeting with you. I really curious what's their decision process based on? Since I didn't make it this year after two rounds of interview, do you guys think still worth to apply again in the next cycle? 

13 minutes ago, hhh0996 said:

Hey guys, I really have a question that hope someone can share with me some insights. How come sometimes the interview  went really well and looked promising, but the result came out with a rejection. The professor even said if any opportunities arising in the future, we should collaborate. I reached out to the professor and the program, all they can say was all faculty members spoke highly of you and enjoyed meeting with you. I really curious what's their decision process based on? Since I didn't make it this year after two rounds of interview, do you guys think still worth to apply again in the next cycle? 

There are too many factors weighing in, e.g. other faculty has higher priority this cycle in taking on students, one specific student with similar interests and very strong connections is also applying, etc. etc. etc. If you really want to work with the POIs and do not plan to commit to other programs this cycle, why not? 

I will def reapply next cycle, if my international status isn't a concern I wish I could even try a third year, because it is really hard for me to find a matched program. But next cycle I'm expanding my selections, I'm waitlisted by my top program this cycle (more like an 'honorable mention' type of waitlist), but I wouldn't even count to get an interview next yr. 

Edited by XXXXXXphd2021

23 minutes ago, hhh0996 said:

From experience- I applied two years ago and reapplied this year. This year, I was admitted to 2 programs that rejected me 2 years ago. One of those programs interviewed me both times. So yes, reapply!! And keep in touch with the faculty members you spoke to and would like to work with.

In my case, getting more experience and being more specific in my interests and why those schools helped a lot. But especially this year, it might also totally just be luck! There are so many more applicants, and not necessarily more spots. Obviously you were well-qualified since you went through two rounds of interviews! Don’t give up :)

36 minutes ago, XXXXXXphd2021 said:

Congratulations! Did you receive any info on its funding? (Already thinking about picking programs for next cycle lmao)

Thanks! No info on funding yet, they said that information will come later. From what I've read in past forums and from other students, funding isn't guaranteed but it's rare that a student doesn't get funding. I knew this going in and was fine with it since the research fit was perfect for me.

6 hours ago, brightbluebirds said:

Finally heard back and got in at UNC Epi!! So excited and will definitely be going there.

Congratulations!!! What track?

I'm still waiting to hear back so hopefully they'll let me know either way by end of today or tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

3 minutes ago, StaticL said:

Congratulations!!! What track?

I'm still waiting to hear back so hopefully they'll let me know either way by end of today or tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

I hope you hear good news! I applied to reproductive, perinatal, and pediatric epidemiology.

28 minutes ago, PublicHealth545 said:

Just received rejection from Harvard Health Policy

Same same (decision science track). Not surprised as I didn’t interview, and happier with my other choices anyway. Nice to have a final answer though! 

8 minutes ago, ASA15 said:

Same same (decision science track). Not surprised as I didn’t interview, and happier with my other choices anyway. Nice to have a final answer though! 

same here, decision science. I don't want to open the result page T^T... 

19 hours ago, Handsomejunior said:

Greetings everyone,

New here and this is a useful thread for sure! Anyone heard back from GWU?

Welcome! I applied to the DrPH program with expressed interest in global health, but I haven't heard anything at all. Another post mentioned being interviewed in Feb by a two faculty members (one each from environ and global health). But that's the only interview that I have seen here. 

16 minutes ago, bluejayfang said:

Welcome! I applied to the DrPH program with expressed interest in global health, but I haven't heard anything at all. Another post mentioned being interviewed in Feb by a two faculty members (one each from environ and global health). But that's the only interview that I have seen here. 

Hi! I interviewed for GW's new school-wide DrPH program in Feb. Was told decisions would be returned by mid-March at the latest. I am not sure if GW interviews all final candidates or if it they do it "as needed" to get a better sense of certain applicants (I have somewhat uncommon career background/interests). 

Was admitted to Drexel's Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences PhD program last night. However I will be accepting an offer at another school. 

Is it common to email PI's that you interviewed with to let them know that you have accepted another school's offer? I thought we had a great conversation and research fit, and wanted to let them know that it was a difficult decision and that I still hope to work with them in the future. 

10 hours ago, DrPH20xy said:

Has anyone heard from UNC (DrPH) ?

I have not. I was told in my interview it would be this week but I think that was a mistake. Another candidate who interviewed was told the committee would meet this week and announcements would go out mid march. It looks like that aligns with last year from previous years so I'm buckling up for another week or two.

32 minutes ago, EHS_7812 said:

Was admitted to Drexel's Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences PhD program last night. However I will be accepting an offer at another school. 

Is it common to email PI's that you interviewed with to let them know that you have accepted another school's offer? I thought we had a great conversation and research fit, and wanted to let them know that it was a difficult decision and that I still hope to work with them in the future. 

If you plan to work with them in some capacity in the future, I would definitely let them know, so they’re not left wondering. How you’d go about writing that email, is something I’m at a loss for. ?

36 minutes ago, EHS_7812 said:

Advice that I have received is that it's always important to keep and grow your scholarly network on this journey. If you believe you may work together in the future, or want to continue a non-formal mentorship relationship, you can say just what you typed. That it was a difficult decision, and you hope you can work together in the future. Be sure to thank them for the opportunity to speak with them. They may respond or may not, but doesn't hurt to send either way.