PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

1 hour ago, FDawg said:

Hey - congrats on Davis!!! I feel you though. I lived in Davis for a year and actually RAed for an infectious diseases PhD student there. I still keep in touch with her loosely and she's currently working at the CDC. From what I remember, she loved her program and her advisor was incredibly supportive. Sorry I don't have more info on the program, BUT I do have a lot of info on Davis.

First of all, I have to say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DAVIS. It is a gorgeous little town. So chilled out and beautiful. Summers are HOT but you'll just have to take refuge in Tahoe (1.5 hrs away) and Yosemite (3 hrs away). I've had some of the most positive experiences of my life in Davis, and I was only there for a year.

My brother did his PhD at Davis in Econ. When he first applied, it wasn't his top choice either but 6 years later he is a fancy professor at a liberal arts college and has never looked back. The community he built at Davis are now some of his closest friends (and mine). Also, super fun events that happen during the year (picnic day, tour, farmer's markets). AND Davis is super duper safe. 

Hope this helps a bit and let me know if you want more info! 

Edit: how could I forget? Davis is the bike capital of the world. Super flat and loads of bike lanes. You should see the bike racks in UC Davis during the semester. Pretty crazy

THIS is how you get someone excited about a school! It’s not even remotely a fit but I’m like “Damn! I should have made it work.” Haha. 

Got wait listed for BU! So for those who are still waiting, I assume you'll hear shortly.

I interviewed and I think the interview went well, there were just a lot of awesome folks applying this year. So I still feel happy about being on the wait list. 

Accepted: Tulane

Waitlisted: Hopkins & BU

Rejected: GW

Still waiting: Rutgers

Hoping to have that last school decision this week (that's just an estimate).

5 hours ago, KetchupandMayo said:

Has anyone heard back for DrPH at UIC or Rutgers? 

I just got an invite to interview for UIC. Looks like interviews are held from March 15-25

I reached out to Rutgers and they said "We are waiting to hear back from the admissions committee, but as soon as we hear back, we will be notifying all applicants."

6 hours ago, FDawg said:

Hey - congrats on Davis!!! I feel you though. I lived in Davis for a year and actually RAed for an infectious diseases PhD student there. I still keep in touch with her loosely and she's currently working at the CDC. From what I remember, she loved her program and her advisor was incredibly supportive. Sorry I don't have more info on the program, BUT I do have a lot of info on Davis.

First of all, I have to say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DAVIS. It is a gorgeous little town. So chilled out and beautiful. Summers are HOT but you'll just have to take refuge in Tahoe (1.5 hrs away) and Yosemite (3 hrs away). I've had some of the most positive experiences of my life in Davis, and I was only there for a year.

My brother did his PhD at Davis in Econ. When he first applied, it wasn't his top choice either but 6 years later he is a fancy professor at a liberal arts college and has never looked back. The community he built at Davis are now some of his closest friends (and mine). Also, super fun events that happen during the year (picnic day, tour, farmer's markets). AND Davis is super duper safe. 

Hope this helps a bit and let me know if you want more info! 

Edit: how could I forget? Davis is the bike capital of the world. Super flat and loads of bike lanes. You should see the bike racks in UC Davis during the semester. Pretty crazy

Wowowow THANK YOU for this response! It’s so good to hear that you had positive experiences working there and in the city of Davis. The bikes, events, and vibe that you describe sound amazing! And omg summers in Tahoe and Yosemite?! Get out of town! ? I’ll be moving there from Atlanta, so I’m used to hot and super humid summers. I’m very glad to hear that the PhD student you worked with had a positive experience in the program too! The Davis program structure is a little confusing, but I suppose the important thing is that I get strong training in Epi/biostats while working under a faculty member that is really supportive of my work and connects me to future collaborators.

Do you happen to remember the name of that infectious disease advisor?

4 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

THIS is how you get someone excited about a school! It’s not even remotely a fit but I’m like “Damn! I should have made it work.” Haha. 

Seriously! I would pay for this kind of hype! Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, IAAJ said:

Got wait listed for BU! So for those who are still waiting, I assume you'll hear shortly.

I interviewed and I think the interview went well, there were just a lot of awesome folks applying this year. So I still feel happy about being on the wait list. 

Hi... congratulations on acceptance to Tulane. BU DrPH or PhD?

1 hour ago, phdepihopeful said:

Wowowow THANK YOU for this response! It’s so good to hear that you had positive experiences working there and in the city of Davis. The bikes, events, and vibe that you describe sound amazing! And omg summers in Tahoe and Yosemite?! Get out of town! ? I’ll be moving there from Atlanta, so I’m used to hot and super humid summers. I’m very glad to hear that the PhD student you worked with had a positive experience in the program too! The Davis program structure is a little confusing, but I suppose the important thing is that I get strong training in Epi/biostats while working under a faculty member that is really supportive of my work and connects me to future collaborators.

Do you happen to remember the name of that infectious disease advisor?

Seriously! I would pay for this kind of hype! Thanks so much!

Hahaha you got it! Davis will always have a special place in my heart. The advisor was Dr. Christopher Barker. I think his appointment is technically in the vet school but his work is largely in mosquito-transmitted diseases. I also remember he was exceedingly kind to me - at the time a wee undergrad wondering what the heck epidemiology was. Would definitely reach out if you're into ID stuff!

2 hours ago, Rka said:

Hi... congratulations on acceptance to Tulane. BU DrPH or PhD?

DrPH.

I only applied to DrPH programs so I couldn't tell you when admissions decisions for the PhD programs will be coming out.

2 minutes ago, IAAJ said:

DrPH.

I only applied to DrPH programs so I couldn't tell you when admissions decisions for the PhD programs will be coming out.

Okk.. thank you

15 hours ago, IAAJ said:

Also waitlisted at BU DrPH. Felt the same way about my interview. I thought their letter (which I assume was the same for all waitlist folks) was very nice and emphasized how competitive this year was. Also waiting on Rutgers (and GW). 

11 hours ago, Leapoffaith21 said:

Quick question: Is it customary (or perhaps even a best practice) to send a thank you note to the faculty on your interview panel? I’m struggling with this and would appreciate thoughts from others. 

I sent brief thank you notes to all interviewers. For the 2 schools I interviewed at- at 1 school, every faculty member responded back, at the other school no one did. I got into both. Just an FYI not to worry about responses to thank-yous. 

12 hours ago, Leapoffaith21 said:

Quick question: Is it customary (or perhaps even a best practice) to send a thank you note to the faculty on your interview panel? I’m struggling with this and would appreciate thoughts from others. 

I only interviewed at one school for a DrPH program (UNC) and sent a brief thank you note to the two people I interviewed with. One responded, one did not and I was notified recently they referred me with a recommendation for admission to the graduate school. Personally, I think it can't hurt!

55 minutes ago, epipenpal said:

I’ve seen acceptances, rejections, and waitlists for UNC Epi PhD on the results page... Is anyone else still waiting? I’ve heard nothing, and am not hopeful for an acceptance from them at this point. 

I asked them and they said I was rejected. I would receive the official rejection in 24-48 hours. This year's really hard. Anyway, I would go to another dream school.

Edited by 2021fall phd

17 hours ago, Leapoffaith21 said:

I interviewed with Colorado and NYU (both for DrPH) and sent thank you emails. I was specific about what we discussed (e.g. it was a pleasure to learn more about XYZ), and signed off with how excited I am for the opportunity. Similar to applying to jobs, a thank you note (hopefully) leaves a good impression and a way for the interviewers to remember you (since they interview a lot of folks).

1 hour ago, 2021fall phd said:

I asked them and they said I was rejected. I would receive the official rejection in 24-48 hours. This year's really hard. Anyway, I would go to another dream school.

i appreciate you sharing your update. wishing you all the best! 

On 3/8/2021 at 8:58 PM, StePhDen said:

Has anyone heard anything at all from USC's PhD in Population, Health and Place?

I was accepted to USC Population, Health and Place in February. I'm not sure if they have a wait list, but they may be waiting to hear back from other candidates before sending communication.

I only applied to two programs, and this is the one I'll take!  I'd been watching this program for a couple of years, so pretty excited!

Best of luck, and hoping for good news for you

Edited by anvilamster

8 hours ago, ASA15 said:

I sent brief thank you notes to all interviewers. For the 2 schools I interviewed at- at 1 school, every faculty member responded back, at the other school no one did. I got into both. Just an FYI not to worry about responses to thank-yous. 

7 hours ago, Ajrw said:

I only interviewed at one school for a DrPH program (UNC) and sent a brief thank you note to the two people I interviewed with. One responded, one did not and I was notified recently they referred me with a recommendation for admission to the graduate school. Personally, I think it can't hurt!

3 hours ago, DrPH21 said:

I interviewed with Colorado and NYU (both for DrPH) and sent thank you emails. I was specific about what we discussed (e.g. it was a pleasure to learn more about XYZ), and signed off with how excited I am for the opportunity. Similar to applying to jobs, a thank you note (hopefully) leaves a good impression and a way for the interviewers to remember you (since they interview a lot of folks).

Thanks, all. It's good to see this is the norm and may give an edge. 

On 3/9/2021 at 5:01 PM, DDJ said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back from the UCSD SDSU Public Health program? 

I was told by them in Mid-February they hadn't even begun looking at applications yet for the Health Behaviors program. 

Edited by Jbirdphd

56 minutes ago, Jbirdphd said:

I was told by them in Mid-February they hadn't even begun looking at applications yet for the Health Behaviors program. 

Thank you! I applied for the Epi program. 

Does anyone who got accepted into the Pitt Epi program know if all candidates have already been chosen? Someone in here mentioned the later deadline and I'm wondering if it's worth applying to since 4-5 (extremely well qualified) folks in this forum alone have been admitted, so I don't want to waste an application fee...I wish schools would close their application once they're full/done with funding considerations rather than say "we cannot promise consideration after X date"!