PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

54 minutes ago, DrPH or Bust said:

I just got accepted into the DrPH in Community Health Practice program at UT-Houston!! ❤️

Congrats! How long did the application review process take? Is there interview? 

Congrats to everyone that has recently heard back from the influx of program notifications (acceptances, interviews, and even rejections to at least bring peace of mind). But has anyone heard back from Tulane's Epi PhD program? They've been radio silent and based on one of their Open Houses, it appears they select a small number of candidates and have a 1-on-1 match with faculty, so curious to see if anyone has matched, and with whom!

14 minutes ago, EJ_PhD said:

Congrats to everyone that has recently heard back from the influx of program notifications (acceptances, interviews, and even rejections to at least bring peace of mind). But has anyone heard back from Tulane's Epi PhD program? They've been radio silent and based on one of their Open Houses, it appears they select a small number of candidates and have a 1-on-1 match with faculty, so curious to see if anyone has matched, and with whom!

Same... I guess I'm waiting for a rejection.

1 hour ago, 2021fall phd said:

Yep, same for me. I do not know why they wait so long to let us know!

12 minutes ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

After a sea of rejections, I can finally say, WE DID IT JOE!!! ???? Just  received my first ever PhD acceptance courtesy of UMD. Wow wow wow! 

Congrats!!! Which program? 

1 hour ago, EpiPhD7 said:

Yep, same for me. I do not know why they wait so long to let us know!

2 hours ago, 2021fall phd said:

Hey guys, sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I got my official acceptance letter to Tulane epi on Friday the 5th.

Also, I matched with Dr. Jiang He for the program. It definitely was a very based on fit with faculty as you start your dissertation research like the first week in.

Edited by FDawg
more info

2 hours ago, EJ_PhD said:

Sorry meant to quote you! See reply above.

1 hour ago, FDawg said:

Hey guys, sorry to be the bearer of bad news - I got my official acceptance letter to Tulane epi on Friday the 5th.

Also, I matched with Dr. Jiang He for the program. It definitely was a very based on fit with faculty as you start your dissertation research like the first week in.

Congrats on your acceptance! Dr. Jiang He is the department chair so it's nice to be able to work/match with him? I guess the silver lining here is there are several other faculty that may take students (with other interests), unless you have inside knowledge on whether all students have already been accepted to put us out of our misery ?

3 hours ago, FDawg said:

No worries, congrats! Im actually very happy for you! Love to see other public health people succeeding! 

3 hours ago, EJ_PhD said:

Congrats on your acceptance! Dr. Jiang He is the department chair so it's nice to be able to work/match with him? I guess the silver lining here is there are several other faculty that may take students (with other interests), unless you have inside knowledge on whether all students have already been accepted to put us out of our misery ?

Thank you! I can't say for sure but my sense is acceptances have already been sent out. I know that admitted students weekend is happening on March 14-16.

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Just got my final application result so here's my record for Epidemiology PhD programs: 

• UC Davis - Accepted, 2 years of guaranteed funding before needing to find a TA/RA position
  • UCSF - Rejected
  • Stanford - Rejected after interviews
  • Berkeley - Rejected

I'm grateful to have one acceptance during this crazy application year, but like many folks I'm bummed to have been rejected from my top choices. That said, is anyone else thinking about attending UC Davis in the Fall? Or do you have any insight into the program?

Also is anyone thinking about deferring for a year to reapply? Again, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I want to make sure I get a good fit for my interests too. 

I'd really appreciate any insight!

Edited by phdepihopeful

Got waitlisted at UNC's Epi PhD. A little bummed but it'll be nice to not have to worry about checking my email every five seconds. Still waiting to hear back from VCU

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

4 hours ago, phdepihopeful said:

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here. Just got my final application result so here's my record for Epidemiology PhD programs: 

• UC Davis - Accepted, 2 years of guaranteed funding before needing to find a TA/RA position
  • UCSF - Rejected
  • Stanford - Rejected after interviews
  • Berkeley - Rejected

I'm grateful to have one acceptance during this crazy application year, but like many folks I'm bummed to have been rejected from my top choices. That said, is anyone else thinking about attending UC Davis in the Fall? Or do you have any insight into the program?

Also is anyone thinking about deferring for a year to reapply? Again, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I want to make sure I get a good fit for my interests too. 

I'd really appreciate any insight!

Hey - congrats on Davis!!! I feel you though. I lived in Davis for a year and actually RAed for an infectious diseases PhD student there. I still keep in touch with her loosely and she's currently working at the CDC. From what I remember, she loved her program and her advisor was incredibly supportive. Sorry I don't have more info on the program, BUT I do have a lot of info on Davis.

First of all, I have to say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DAVIS. It is a gorgeous little town. So chilled out and beautiful. Summers are HOT but you'll just have to take refuge in Tahoe (1.5 hrs away) and Yosemite (3 hrs away). I've had some of the most positive experiences of my life in Davis, and I was only there for a year.

My brother did his PhD at Davis in Econ. When he first applied, it wasn't his top choice either but 6 years later he is a fancy professor at a liberal arts college and has never looked back. The community he built at Davis are now some of his closest friends (and mine). Also, super fun events that happen during the year (picnic day, tour, farmer's markets). AND Davis is super duper safe. 

Hope this helps a bit and let me know if you want more info! 

Edit: how could I forget? Davis is the bike capital of the world. Super flat and loads of bike lanes. You should see the bike racks in UC Davis during the semester. Pretty crazy

Edited by FDawg