PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

53 minutes ago, LuluDrPH77 said:

Aside from actually applying to a DrPH program…would visiting the campus, making a good impression on my potential committee members, having personal contact with the department head of the program (ex: exchanging cell numbers) whom I share similar goals with and who wants to be the chair of my committee, being in contact with former students, and being eligible to apply for a scholarship increase my chances of being accepted?

Hey that all would help. I was in had meetings with the relevant department head, potential faculty members, and students before I applied. It shows you're very interested and helps add more perspective when they review your application.

Folks, I wanted to share my experience this application cycle so people really know how difficult it was to apply this year. I applied to mostly epi PhDs. Here goes:

Stats: Undergrad GPA 3.8 (well-known foreign school), MPH epidemiology and biostatistics from top 5 PH program (GPA 3.93), GRE: 170V 165Q, 2 years full-time research experience at top 5 PH school, 2 co-author publications, 1 first-author publication. Worked on my personal statement for months and got a lot of feedback. Looking at it now, I still think it was a good one and checked all the boxes you're supposed to check for a statement.

I did all my due diligence with contacting PIs before applying. I must have done 20 meetings. In each meeting, I'd specifically ask the PI if they are accepting PhD students next year, and if they'd feel comfortable with my including their name in my application. I always asked if they had any questions for me, and usually got interview-type questions. I had incredibly positive meetings with almost all the PIs I met with. 2 PIs at Harvard told me they highly anticipate my being accepted into the epi program. One PI at Hopkins who's on the admissions committee said she'd be very surprised if I didn't get at least an interview to the program.

Results season comes around - my first rejection was from Hopkins. What followed was a stream of rejections from "safety" schools and everything in between. My anxiety was through the roof as getting a PhD offer was literally the only way I could stay in the US. I applied to 13 programs in total and finally got one acceptance. The irony was that I hadn't spoken with the PI at all before, and his research has nothing at all to do with my research interests or experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful to have the offer and will definitely take it. Just wanted to illustrate how odd/difficult of a cycle this was to apply.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. Congrats to all the folks with acceptances and for the folks with none, you'll come back fucking stronger next year. 

42 minutes ago, niram said:

Just received a rejection from Columbia PhD ? 

37 minutes ago, EJ_PhD said:

Rejected from Columbia :( this one stung more than the others because things looked promising after the interview

37 minutes ago, NutrEpi said:

rejected by Columbia Epi PhD program after interview :(

25 minutes ago, FDawg said:

Woooo Columbia epi rejection club!

17 minutes ago, 2021epiphd said:

I also got rejected from columbia epi phd after interview! I wonder how many people they actually interviewed? They accept 8-12 per year. 

Also rejected from Columbia Epi Phd. Didn't get an interview invite so wasn't feeling hopeful, but got my MPH there and have built up nearly a decade of work experience since then ? ? At a loss...

11 minutes ago, moosepup said:

Also rejected from Columbia Epi Phd. Didn't get an interview invite so wasn't feeling hopeful, but got my MPH there and have built up nearly a decade of work experience since then ? ? At a loss...

I know they received 200-250 applications for the epi phd alone this year, which was a record for them. This seems to be the case for most programs this cycle!

21 minutes ago, moosepup said:

One more rejected although interviewed.

34 minutes ago, FDawg said:

Folks, I wanted to share my experience this application cycle so people really know how difficult it was to apply this year. I applied to mostly epi PhDs. Here goes:

Stats: Undergrad GPA 3.8 (well-known foreign school), MPH epidemiology and biostatistics from top 5 PH program (GPA 3.93), GRE: 170V 165Q, 2 years full-time research experience at top 5 PH school, 2 co-author publications, 1 first-author publication. Worked on my personal statement for months and got a lot of feedback. Looking at it now, I still think it was a good one and checked all the boxes you're supposed to check for a statement.

I did all my due diligence with contacting PIs before applying. I must have done 20 meetings. In each meeting, I'd specifically ask the PI if they are accepting PhD students next year, and if they'd feel comfortable with my including their name in my application. I always asked if they had any questions for me, and usually got interview-type questions. I had incredibly positive meetings with almost all the PIs I met with. 2 PIs at Harvard told me they highly anticipate my being accepted into the epi program. One PI at Hopkins who's on the admissions committee said she'd be very surprised if I didn't get at least an interview to the program.

Results season comes around - my first rejection was from Hopkins. What followed was a stream of rejections from "safety" schools and everything in between. My anxiety was through the roof as getting a PhD offer was literally the only way I could stay in the US. I applied to 13 programs in total and finally got one acceptance. The irony was that I hadn't spoken with the PI at all before, and his research has nothing at all to do with my research interests or experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm super grateful to have the offer and will definitely take it. Just wanted to illustrate how odd/difficult of a cycle this was to apply.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. Congrats to all the folks with acceptances and for the folks with none, you'll come back fucking stronger next year. 

This year is an outlier. I have similar experience as you mentioned (hopeful and then disappointed). 

2 hours ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Hi there, 

I was accepted into USC's HBR program in the end of January, but have yet to hear back from UCLA's CHS program! I heard UCLA is going to send out more decisions this month.

Wishing you the best of luck! I hope you get into your program of choice. 

Thank you for this note! I saw few UCLA CHS acceptance here, so I'm not hopeful—though I do find it interesting that they are planning to send out decisions. Maybe it'd be for waitlists?

Congrats on USC! I don't think I saw too many posts about USC HBR program, so that's great to hear that there is some movement. I think at this point, I want to gracefully move on and receive rejections from UCLA and USC, so I can focus on making my decisions. 

2 hours ago, 2021epiphd said:

I also got rejected from columbia epi phd after interview! I wonder how many people they actually interviewed? They accept 8-12 per year. 

interviewer told me that the admission committee picked around 90 candidates from all applicants, then narrowed down to 40, then these 40 got interview, 10 are enrolled.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, KetchupandMayo said:

Hi all, I have received an interview from USF DrPH program. Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice on how to prepare for these interviews? 

Have received rejection from UNC. Thank you! 

Hi and that's great news!  May I ask what DrPH track you applied for?

2 minutes ago, JoeBlow said:

Admitted to Columbia epi. I was told that total number of applicants for the epi program this year was in excess of 300, for ~10 positions. Even more than in a typical year, a lot of tough decisions had to be made. 

Congrats!!! Such an amazing accomplishment. When did you hear? 

6 hours ago, EnviroDrPH-PhD said:

Hey that all would help. I was in had meetings with the relevant department head, potential faculty members, and students before I applied. It shows you're very interested and helps add more perspective when they review your application.

Thank you very much! Your response helps a ton and has helped me lower my anxiety levels quite a bit.

12 hours ago, JoeBlow said:

Admitted to Columbia epi. I was told that total number of applicants for the epi program this year was in excess of 300, for ~10 positions. Even more than in a typical year, a lot of tough decisions had to be made. 

Congratulations!!!