PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

10 hours ago, nash7 said:

maybe we are waitlisted since acceptance and rejection sent out already. 
I emailed them last weekend and the said “We are still sending out notifications over the course of the next couple of weeks”.

Yeah, with and without interview

but I thought the admit day is April 15 !! 

Sorry, I meant visit day, where we got to meet the program director and other people accepted to the program

1 hour ago, EPIPHD518 said:

Anyone heard back from University of Southern California Epi Phd?  Interviewed with them in early Feb. 

Hey, I am also waiting for them. I emailed to the epi director and she didnt reply my email..

For anyone seeing this cycle as a “fight to the finish,” where every applicant to “your” program is a threat, let me give you a real example of why you being an asshole is the wrong move. @CommunityHealth21and I applied to some of the same schools, got waitlisted at the same place and are now accepted into the same program. Instead of seeing each other as competition, we DM’d each other with insider info (eg “how is USF really??), debriefed on interviews; and they were even kind enough to offer to connect me to someone who got in the program, (despite being waitlisted and hoping for a spot to open up). Now we’re in the same cohort and I’m pumped to work with them! 

Being a jerk or rooting for someone’s failure  can be tempting (especially when anxiety is high and decisions trickle) but don’t forget that these folks are also your colleagues. So let’s lift each other up! You never know if a person will become an ally, a cohort member, or a collaborator on a major project.

2 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For anyone seeing this cycle as a “fight to the finish,” where every applicant to “your” program is a threat, let me give you a real example of why you being an asshole is the wrong move. @CommunityHealth21and I applied to some of the same schools, got waitlisted at the same place and are now accepted into the same program. Instead of seeing each other as competition, we DM’d each other with insider info (eg “how is USF really??), debriefed on interviews; and they were even kind enough to offer to connect me to someone who got in the program, (despite being waitlisted and hoping for a spot to open up). Now we’re in the same cohort and I’m pumped to work with them! 

Being a jerk or rooting for someone’s failure  can be tempting (especially when anxiety is high and decisions trickle) but don’t forget that these folks are also your colleagues. So let’s lift each other up! You never know if a person will become an ally, a cohort member, or a collaborator on a major project.

Yes yes yes! I know how anxious we can get through this process. And yes, we might be 'competing' for the same spot. But it should never be about that. I am glad we had the opportunity to get to know each other better and are now going to be in the same program. 

To those who have not heard from the programs you're hoping yet, or are waitlisted. Don't lose hope just yet, I know it seems like the cycle is close to being over, but a lot can happen. Finish strong. And if it is the case that you don't get in this year, reach out to programs and ask for feedback. Also, don't be discouraged to apply again. We are all capable to great things and I am thankful to know that so many people are interested in continuing to work in Public Health. 

16 hours ago, nash7 said:

maybe we are waitlisted since acceptance and rejection sent out already. 
I emailed them last weekend and the said “We are still sending out notifications over the course of the next couple of weeks”.

Yeah, with and without interview

but I thought the admit day is April 15 !! 

Berkeley DrPH is the only program I have to hear from. Do you guys know how many students they accept into the program? 

34 minutes ago, niram said:

Berkeley DrPH is the only program I have to hear from. Do you guys know how many students they accept into the program? 

I’m still waiting, I have a friend who got accepted and I noticed 2 here mentioned that ! 
By the way, Are you an International applicant? I would like to connect with some int. students 

23 hours ago, healthequitySF said:

I'm also in the same boat. I haven't heard anything (acceptance, rejection, waitlist) from Berkeley's DrPH program. Keeping my fingers crossed they will send decisions this week! 

image.thumb.png.02ce3b620c19708a00ad8d62d90014ba.png

maybe they have second round? fingers crossed for us

5 hours ago, nash7 said:

I’m still waiting, I have a friend who got accepted and I noticed 2 here mentioned that ! 
By the way, Are you an International applicant? I would like to connect with some int. students 

Yes. We should start a thread for international applicants! 

6 hours ago, Papa Ejima said:

Hello,

Any one heard of University of New Mexico? Is it a good school for a PhD program in Chemistry? Will really appreciate your responses

Hi! Maybe there is someone here who knows about chemistry at UNM, but this thread is typically for information on DrPH and Public Health-related PhD programs. I am sure there is a thread where people will know more though. Best of luck!

Anyone else recently waitlisted at JHU International Health SBI PhD program? I'm surprised because I didn't interview so was anticipating a rejection. Curious of other waitlisted folks interviewed. I did have conversations with some professors before applying but if I am offered admission would be hard for me to make a decision without having gone thorugh the more formal interview process. Sure, the interview is mostly for you to showcase your fit but it also is insightful when it comes to learning about the program and getting a sense of faculty. Anyone in a similar position with JHU or otherwise? 

5 minutes ago, PHPhDApplicant said:

Anyone else recently waitlisted at JHU International Health SBI PhD program? I'm surprised because I didn't interview so was anticipating a rejection. Curious of other waitlisted folks interviewed. I did have conversations with some professors before applying but if I am offered admission would be hard for me to make a decision without having gone thorugh the more formal interview process. Sure, the interview is mostly for you to showcase your fit but it also is insightful when it comes to learning about the program and getting a sense of faculty. Anyone in a similar position with JHU or otherwise? 

I did my MPH at Hopkins and most of my classes were in that department. My advisor / LoR-writer is the SBI program director. I LOVED my experience working with professors from that department. They're all incredibly supportive. Early in the process I connected with my advisor and she got me in touch with current and recent students. I'm sure she'd be willing to do that for you too. I ended up not applying to that department for research fit, but it is a great department. Hope that's helpful.

12 minutes ago, publichealthPhD said:

I did my MPH at Hopkins and most of my classes were in that department. My advisor / LoR-writer is the SBI program director. I LOVED my experience working with professors from that department. They're all incredibly supportive. Early in the process I connected with my advisor and she got me in touch with current and recent students. I'm sure she'd be willing to do that for you too. I ended up not applying to that department for research fit, but it is a great department. Hope that's helpful.

Thanks @publichealthPhD this is super helpful. Do you know any more about typical funding for PhD students through this program? there isn't much on the website about stipends and it seems like there have been recent changes at Bloomberg when it comes to this, at least that is what folks alluded to in my informational interviews before applying

3 minutes ago, PHPhDApplicant said:

Thanks @publichealthPhD this is super helpful. Do you know any more about typical funding for PhD students through this program? there isn't much on the website about stipends and it seems like there have been recent changes at Bloomberg when it comes to this, at least that is what folks alluded to in my informational interviews before applying

I ended up applying to a different department, but I believe the funding is the same. The change is that tuition is now 100% covered, whereas before it wasn't. My understanding is that there are some stipends available via department scholarships, but most students will need to piece together their own living expenses through TA-ships, consultancies, etc.

41 minutes ago, publichealthPhD said:

I ended up applying to a different department, but I believe the funding is the same. The change is that tuition is now 100% covered, whereas before it wasn't. My understanding is that there are some stipends available via department scholarships, but most students will need to piece together their own living expenses through TA-ships, consultancies, etc.

Thanks for the info. Fascinating that one of the most well-funded public health schools is only just now providing full tuition coverage and not really on par with less-well funded peers when it comes to stipends. The program does look like a great fit for my interests so I'll keep my fingers crossed all the same. Thanks again. 

Hello everyone,

Completed the University of South Florida DrPH Laboratory Science and Practice interview this AM and immediately received acceptance to the Fall 2021, 7 student cohort following the call.  I was completely shocked and actually shed a tear.  It was the only program I applied to since the program is looking for very specific laboratory experience, licensure and MPH background.

Interestingly enough, I had emailed them this Tuesday inquiring about the status of my app and 10 minutes later received the interview request email.  I was a bit skeptical thinking that they may have forgotten about me and offered me a "token" interview but I guess I was wrong. 

Thank you all for the support and best of luck to everyone on here!

Edited by Labgy75

On 3/16/2021 at 6:52 PM, KetchupandMayo said:

Received my rejection from USF (after interview). Really heart broken. Worked so hard on this and planned for this over 2 years. This is my 4th rejection. Now I am only waiting to hear back from Rutgers and I dont have any hopes. I guess this just wasnt meant to be. Perhaps ill think of applying in another 5 years. 

I am so sorry about this.  I hope the Rutgers app goes well!  Please try to stay positive.

Y'all, it finally happened. I got accepted. I'm going to get a PhD in epi! UMass may not be ranked t10, but it's a great school and in three years I'll have the degree. Anyone else going to accepted student day tomorrow? 

28 minutes ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Y'all, it finally happened. I got accepted. I'm going to get a PhD in epi! UMass may not be ranked t10, but it's a great school and in three years I'll have the degree. Anyone else going to accepted student day tomorrow? 

Congrats!! Great news, and I'm sure it feels amazing! Also not going to a t10, and very excited for my program :)