PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

On 3/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, HopefullyDrPH2021 said:

Thank you so much for the helpful information DrPH21! Truly appreciate your help! ?

Sorry I have been lurking only occasionally, but thought I would contribute since I had some information that hasn't seem to be shared yet.

I actually interviewed for UIC's DrPH program mid February and was accepted about 3 weeks ago. But I can also attest to everything DrPH21 said. I had the same experience.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by DrPH_Apply_2021

I am so elated. I got into the PhD Program at UTHealth Houston in Environmental Health Dept !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This is my first real acceptance. And though I am waiting on other schools, looks like this is my most logical choice. 

Just a little bit clueless on the funding! Could someone share the information if they have any?

19 hours ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

This is very helpful, thank you! I thought I had heard at some point that some programs prefer that one or two of the recommenders be professors when you are within X years of your master's but I honestly forget where I heard that and hopefully that is outdated advice. I think it makes way more sense to have folks that are more recent and can speak to the work better. 

I was hoping that might be the case with the GRE after this cycle! Thanks!

A few programs "recommend" that at lease one LOR come from a professor if you've been out of school for less than 5 years, but to my knowledge none require it.

My first time applying (2 years ago) I followed the recommendation and got 2 excellent letters from work and 1 average letter from a professor (I had worked with him my first year of grad school, so at that point 4 years ago). I kind of regret getting that letter. 

This second time applying, I was 4 years out of grad school when applying (5 when starting the program, though), and just skipped the prof letter and got 2 letters from my current workplace and one from my former. They were all excellent, and I think a big part of my acceptance. 

Long-winded way of saying- I'd go with the strongest letters you can get. If that's a professor you had a great relationship with, awesome. If it's current supervisors etc, then just do that. I don't think it will disqualify you though do check with the programs you apply to JIC.

33 minutes ago, ASA15 said:

A few programs "recommend" that at lease one LOR come from a professor if you've been out of school for less than 5 years, but to my knowledge none require it.

My first time applying (2 years ago) I followed the recommendation and got 2 excellent letters from work and 1 average letter from a professor (I had worked with him my first year of grad school, so at that point 4 years ago). I kind of regret getting that letter. 

This second time applying, I was 4 years out of grad school when applying (5 when starting the program, though), and just skipped the prof letter and got 2 letters from my current workplace and one from my former. They were all excellent, and I think a big part of my acceptance. 

Long-winded way of saying- I'd go with the strongest letters you can get. If that's a professor you had a great relationship with, awesome. If it's current supervisors etc, then just do that. I don't think it will disqualify you though do check with the programs you apply to JIC.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Your experience is very helpful to hear! I definitely got hung up on what the schools recommend instead of who would write the best letter. This will be really helpful for the next round. Cheers!

Hi everyone, I formally accepted to the NYU DrPH program :) I'd also like to connect with others going to NYU!

I declined my DrPH offers at UIC, UAlbany, Colorado, and UT Austin. (still haven't heard back from Drexel lol)

Hope folks hear back from programs/waitlists soon! 

Also - happy to connect with other DrPH'ers starting this Fall :) 

On 3/29/2021 at 1:16 PM, Public_health_and_cats said:

Hi all! As I am starting to think about applying again in the future (for a third round), I am dreading the thought of having to ask my recommenders to submit letters for a third time. I am especially worried about the two professors from my MPH, since it seems like a bigger ask the further out from it I get from completing the program. Any thoughts on this? Should I ask a whole new set of recommenders that are professional and not academic? Thanks!

(also super bummed that the 5 years on my GRE are up so I'll have to do that again?)

For what it's worth, I am 12 years out from grad school, 13 out from undergrad and one of my LORs was from an undergraduate professor and, although she's awesome, she wasn't my main mentor. She was still super gracious about it and I don't think it's rude to ask at all.  Even though I'm "only" in my 30s, most of my professors have retired and are hard to get a hold of. But, for the person I was able to get a hold of she was very responsive and made it clear she has a process in place for this kind of request. I think they're used to it.

21 minutes ago, Ajrw said:

For what it's worth, I am 12 years out from grad school, 13 out from undergrad and one of my LORs was from an undergraduate professor and, although she's awesome, she wasn't my main mentor. She was still super gracious about it and I don't think it's rude to ask at all.  Even though I'm "only" in my 30s, most of my professors have retired and are hard to get a hold of. But, for the person I was able to get a hold of she was very responsive and made it clear she has a process in place for this kind of request. I think they're used to it.

It's worth a lot, thank you for sharing that! I know I just completely overthink it, as writing/submitting letters comes as part of the job, but I can't help but feel for a nuisance! Silly me, I know. This helps ease my worry. Thank you!

17 hours ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

It's worth a lot, thank you for sharing that! I know I just completely overthink it, as writing/submitting letters comes as part of the job, but I can't help but feel for a nuisance! Silly me, I know. This helps ease my worry. Thank you!

Not silly at all! That was the part I hated the most about the application process. I sent my boss about a dozen thank you emails, plus a card, plus a small gift. Feels so awkward and burdensome but I think the reality is most people are happy to help. I know I've been in the position of providing former employees references and it always makes me happy to help them out and show off about how great they are. I am sure your former professors and mentors feel the same (plus they're probably even more used to it!).

Crowdsourcing opinions here -

How likely is it that a school will let me defer my PhD acceptance? And if it were you, how would you go about that conversation (email first to POI, request a call with program director, etc.)? I currently have 1 acceptance and it's from a school that has you secure your own GA after admission (thinking this might be a plus since they haven't already slotted me into a position).

As brief background, my partner and I are expecting and I am due in November. We've considered all the options and have decided that giving birth in the middle of the first semester isn't the start I'd like to have and financially, it doesn't make sense to lose out on my generous maternity leave. Any advice would be helpful if you or someone you know has been through this process of deferring!

Edited by cs4152008

1 minute ago, cs4152008 said:

How likely is it that a school will let me defer my PhD acceptance? And if it were you, how would you go about that conversation (email first to POI, request a call with program director, etc.)?

As brief background, my partner and I are expecting and I am due in November. We've considered all the options and have decided that giving birth in the middle of the first semester isn't the start I'd like to have to my program and financially, it doesn't make sense to lose out on my generous maternity leave. Any advice would be helpful if you or someone you know has been through this process of deferring!

It depends on the program! Check if there's any info online about your program in specific. 

I looked into deferring a program a few years ago, and went through the program director. But at that time I had not had any contact with my PI. If you know your PI, it might be good to reach out to them...

3 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

How likely is it that a school will let me defer my PhD acceptance? And if it were you, how would you go about that conversation (email first to POI, request a call with program director, etc.)? I currently have 1 acceptance and it's from a school that has you secure your own GA after admission (thinking this might be a plus since they haven't already slotted me into a position).

As brief background, my partner and I are expecting and I am due in November. We've considered all the options and have decided that giving birth in the middle of the first semester isn't the start I'd like to have and financially, it doesn't make sense to lose out on my generous maternity leave. Any advice would be helpful if you or someone you know has been through this process of deferring!

Congratulations on your (future) little one! I agree with ASA, it depends on the program. My friend (Epi) did that successfully last year and their funding was successfully deferred a year too. But not all programs will do this, they may say to re apply again. Good luck!!

Hey y’all! First time user here. Let me start by congratulating all of you on your acceptances!

I’m just wondering if anyone’s accepted to NYU’s Ph.D program in EHS and is planning on (not) going. I found out I was “waitlisted” and I have to reply to another school soon so I’m trying to see if it’s worth it to wait it out... Thanks!

1 hour ago, DrPH20xy said:

Do we have a group for networking sharing ideas and learning from each other as we start our programs this summer/fall? I am thinking not within a specific school but for all us going to different schools and programs. 

It would be nice to have a thread or something where we’re able to talk about our first semester. I’m sure the folks applying next year would be interested to see what the schools are like from the vantage of first years. 

Good idea, @DrPH20xy! If you get whatever you’re thinking going, I’d be happy to contribute. 

38 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

It would be nice to have a thread or something where we’re able to talk about our first semester. I’m sure the folks applying next year would be interested to see what the schools are like from the vantage of first years. 

Good idea, @DrPH20xy! If you get whatever you’re thinking going, I’d be happy to contribute. 

Happy to contribute as well @DrPH20xyand @MCH_Hopeful_2021!

2 hours ago, DrPH20xy said:

Do we have a group for networking sharing ideas and learning from each other as we start our programs this summer/fall? I am thinking not within a specific school but for all us going to different schools and programs. 

I'd love to connect with other DrPH students, regardless of the program you enroll in.  :)