PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

Even though today is the 4/15 deadline, in theory we could accept an offer from a school today and decline that offer in a week if our waitlist school accepts us, right? I know that's not ideal business, but we should do what's best individually, I think.

44 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Just had an interview for a school I was on the waitlist for! Makes it a little difficult since this is also the deadline for other acceptances but I'm sure we're all navigating as best we can. Good luck to everyone if you are waiting on news!

That's so exciting! Congrats! I hope it all works out for you ?

12 minutes ago, simpleinout said:

Even though today is the 4/15 deadline, in theory we could accept an offer from a school today and decline that offer in a week if our waitlist school accepts us, right? I know that's not ideal business, but we should do what's best individually, I think.

Yes. Definitely not ideal, but if you do it respectfully programs will understand.

I applied to 3 DrPH programs for the Fall and was waitlisted by my first choice (NYU). I've seen at least one person on this thread was accepted, so I was hoping to ask how big the cohort was? During my interview, they mentioned 5-7, so I just wanted to see what they ended up going with! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances and best of luck to those of us waiting! :) 

4 hours ago, DrPH_Applicant_F21 said:

I applied to 3 DrPH programs for the Fall and was waitlisted by my first choice (NYU). I've seen at least one person on this thread was accepted, so I was hoping to ask how big the cohort was? During my interview, they mentioned 5-7, so I just wanted to see what they ended up going with! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances and best of luck to those of us waiting! :) 

I was admitted to NYU's DrPH program, but respectfully declined my offer. I hope things work in your favor.  Best of luck!

5 hours ago, DrPH_Applicant_F21 said:

I was accepted to NYU's DrPH and accepted the offer! We got the fall 2021 class list already. They are expecting a cohort of 8-10. Hope that you get in :) 

38 minutes ago, IAAJ said:

Alright! Got my final rejections from Boston and Hopkins (although both of their rejection letters were quite kind!).

So Tulane it is! Let me get this ball rolling and start prepping for this move!

Congrats on Tulane! Let's go!

Had you been waitlisted at Boston and Hopkins? And did you sign with Tulane before hearing back an official rejection from the other two? Thanks.

Just now, simpleinout said:

Congrats on Tulane! Let's go!

Had you been waitlisted at Boston and Hopkins? And did you sign with Tulane before hearing back an official rejection from the other two? Thanks.

Yeah I'm excited about Tulane (and glad to finally know where I'm going!).

I had been waitlisted at Hopkins and Boston. I didn't realize Boston's DrPH cohort was so small. I knew someone said 6 in here, but just reading it in the final decision letter was like, wow! Glad to know that even if I wasn't accepted, they still thought I was a great candidate!

I got taken off the waitlist on JHU, the only school I applied in this cycle. Feel so blessed!! Thank you, Everyone, for your support and sharing in the tough waiting time. This is a great community. I would never be able to survive in the process without this forum. Wish those still on waitlists the best luck! For JHU folks, I would like to connect with you guys offline ~~

2 hours ago, linda_jhsph said:

I got taken off the waitlist on JHU, the only school I applied in this cycle. Feel so blessed!! Thank you, Everyone, for your support and sharing in the tough waiting time. This is a great community. I would never be able to survive in the process without this forum. Wish those still on waitlists the best luck! For JHU folks, I would like to connect with you guys offline ~~

That's amazing!! congratulations!! :) 

I am also waitlisted at JHU, for the international health program. Just curious- how and when did you find out you were off the waitlist?? Did you receive an email or through the portal?? I am anxiously waiting for news, although my hopes are not very high at this point ?

Anyways, again- congrats!! 

7 hours ago, Tired_of_waiting_e said:

That's amazing!! congratulations!! :) 

I am also waitlisted at JHU, for the international health program. Just curious- how and when did you find out you were off the waitlist?? Did you receive an email or through the portal?? I am anxiously waiting for news, although my hopes are not very high at this point ?

Anyways, again- congrats!! 

I received an email. Implementation Science is my track.

Good luck, buddy!! Go for it!! Someone said this in this group a while ago. "It wont be over until it is over." That inspired me till the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: GWU Global Health Sciences PhD, I hadn't heard anything since submitting my application mid-March. I know there's been one acceptance on this discussion board (of 2 or 3 spots). I e-mailed admissions yesterday to get final word about my decision so I can move on and prep for next year, and to my surprise, they still seem to be reviewing applications. The response was that my application was in department review and that I would hear in a few weeks. Just wanted to keep everyone posted because I know there were a couple of us that applied mid-March.

My understanding of the (very new) program is that they were looking for someone with microbiology / infectious disease lens and perhaps another with community health and / or health systems lens. Perhaps these two tracks are on different timelines?

On 4/26/2021 at 11:59 AM, MagsDrPH said:

Has anyone heard from the UIC DrPH program yet? 

No, I still have had no communication from them and the application website still just says "under review with the department." I had to go ahead and accept another school's offer without knowing where I stand with UIC (I'm guessing it's a no) because the deadline for enrollment is this week.

9 minutes ago, DrPH4KK said:

No, I still have had no communication from them and the application website still just says "under review with the department." I had to go ahead and accept another school's offer without knowing where I stand with UIC (I'm guessing it's a no) because the deadline for enrollment is this week.

That's what I was afraid of.  Thanks for responding.  Good luck with your other program!  

Hi there!

I am interested in: 

University of Washington in Seattle Ph.D. in Epidemiology (already spoke to director and faculty of interest)

Washington University in St. Louis Ph.D. in Public Health (already spoke to director and faculty of interest)

University of North Carolina Ph.D. in Epidemiology or Maternal/Child Health (already spoke to director and faculty of interest)

Does anyone have an idea how competitive these programs are? Thanks!

On 4/29/2021 at 3:15 PM, ccomotti00 said:

Hi there!

I am interested in: 

University of Washington in Seattle Ph.D. in Epidemiology (already spoke to director and faculty of interest)

Washington University in St. Louis Ph.D. in Public Health (already spoke to director and faculty of interest)

University of North Carolina Ph.D. in Epidemiology or Maternal/Child Health (already spoke to director and faculty of interest)

I can speak to UW- it's a GREAT program, and I think less competitive to get in than most other top programs. This is because they accept you unfunded, and you'll need to figure funding out on your own. If you faculty of interest is willing to fund you, it's a GREAT opportunity, but otherwise just know you might have to scramble!

On 4/29/2021 at 3:15 PM, ccomotti00 said:

Hi there!

I am interested in: 

Hi! I can speak to WUSTL, I was one of their finalists this year and from what I've heard each year gets a bit more competitive. Having a faculty mentor already in mind will definitely help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I am interested in knowing your opinions on if we should update faculty members that we have contacted/spoken to during the application process but did not end up with the program they are in?  If so, could you please share some example sentences? I want to be kind and polite, and don't want to lose the connection (they are great people & researchers in my field) or insult them. And advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm doing my PharmD with the intention of applying to a PhD in pharmacoepi after I finish. My GPA in my PharmD is 3.93/4.0 and 3.85 if you include my two years of undergrad before this. I have 4 years of experience working on clinical trials in my clinical area of interest. I have 9 publications where 4 are first author. My target schools (in order of pref) are Harvard TH Chan (w/ Gagne), UofT faculty of pharmacy in pharmacoepi (w/ Cadarette), Hopkins and UBC. 

Do you guys think i'm competitive for going straight to a PhD (also, I'm Canadian)?

Thanks!