PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

22 minutes ago, HSR-HealthPolicy said:

Hey all - hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well! 

First time poster here - I'm sorry if this has already been posted/mentioned, but I'm wondering if you guys have any updates/have heard anything from the following PhD programs; 

• JHU HPM (HSR) 
  • NYU Health Policy 
  • GWU Health Policy 
  • Rutgers HSR 
  • Brown HSR (I understand interviews have already been sent out?)
  • TAMU HSR 

Any information would be super helpful. Good luck everyone!!!

Omg I saw your username and thought that I stress-posted without even being aware. That being said, I also applied to Brown (no interview invite, so I assume I'm out) and JHU but for a different track. 

Wishing you good news soon!

6 hours ago, phdhopesanddreams said:

Hi everyone! I applied to the following PhD programs:

1. University of Washington Health Services Research

2. Harvard PHS Nutrition

3. Berkeley Epidemiology

4. OHSU-PSU Community Health

Has anyone interviewed or heard decisions from any of these specific programs? Thanks!

Hi. I interviewed at UW for their Health Services program about 1.5 weeks ago. 

Edited by MCH_Hopeful_2021

1 hour ago, potlucknopotatosalad said:

Any word from Harvard PHS? :(

Interviewed 2 weeks ago (epi) and haven't heard back ?  My feeling is that they will send out decisions this week. Fingers crossed!!!! 

Just now, phdhopesanddreams said:

Awesome! Did you get the impression they were interviewing everyone they're interesting in admitting? I did speak to three faculty members before even applying. Good luck!!

It seems like they interview the pool of folks they’re looking to draw from. Truthfully, it wasn’t a good fit for me, so I made the decision to (respectfully) withdraw my application.

I’m crossing my fingers for you and hope you hear something from one of your schools (all really great programs, by the way)! 

6 hours ago, katevinita said:

Yep. It is quite early. ?

I wonder if you asked them for an extension. I also received the offer yesterday, but two weeks is just too short, we have no idea about the other schools' decisions.

Edited by F4rbod

7 hours ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

It seems like they interview the pool of folks they’re looking to draw from. Truthfully, it wasn’t a good fit for me, so I made the decision to (respectfully) withdraw my application.

I’m crossing my fingers for you and hope you hear something from one of your schools (all really great programs, by the way)! 

I wouldn’t count yourself out if you didn’t interview. I also spoke with 3/4 faculty members at length before and UW is a strong research match for me. Good luck! 

Edited by PublicHealthRN

Hi everyone, I was the one of those who received the interview invitation immediately after receiving the generic update email from JHU Epi. I had an interview with two professors(track directors) last week. Now I'm anxiously waiting for their final decision like everybody else. Based on what I know results would be coming out in Mid Feb(Fingers crossed).

For those that were accepted or waiting for possible admits to programs that don’t interview: How are you evaluating these programs and determining if you’ll accept, especially since visits aren’t happening? 

Im waiting for one such school that I *think* doesn’t interview (University of Arizona) and am wondering how to assess for fit. 

Hi guys! First time poster here. I applied to several Epi and Health Policy PhD programs and haven’t heard back since December.

My stats are—3.5 UGPA, 3.75 Grad GPA, no GRE, 2 pubs in prep, 3 yrs of research exp.

Still waiting to hear back from Harvard’s HP (Methods, and/ Econ tracks), BU’s HSR, Pitt, UCB...

Btw just wondering has anyone gotten any interviews from Harvard for the different tracks I.e methods, econ, management. Thanks

11 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

For those that were accepted or waiting for possible admits to programs that don’t interview: How are you evaluating these programs and determining if you’ll accept, especially since visits aren’t happening? 

Im waiting for one such school that I *think* doesn’t interview (University of Arizona) and am wondering how to assess for fit. 

I was accepted to a program that doesn't interview. The admit letter states that the faculty member who leads the research center I named in my application will be reaching out to me soon to discuss. So that conversation will probably help, and I'll also ask about getting in contact with some current students in the program. I'll also be discussing with my own mentors. I know the research center is an excellent fit with my research interests already, so that's great. But the rest of it kind of depends on how I feel about my conversations with people.

1 hour ago, epihsrhopeful said:

Hi guys! First time poster here. I applied to several Epi and Health Policy PhD programs and haven’t heard back since December.

My stats are—3.5 UGPA, 3.75 Grad GPA, no GRE, 2 pubs in prep, 3 yrs of research exp.

Still waiting to hear back from Harvard’s HP (Methods, and/ Econ tracks), BU’s HSR, Pitt, UCB...

Btw just wondering has anyone gotten any interviews from Harvard for the different tracks I.e methods, econ, management. Thanks

Hi there, I have interviews scheduled with Harvard Health Policy, Decision Sciences faculty this week. I also am interviewing with Stanford Health Policy, Decision Sciences and have completed interviews for Harvard PHS, Global Health, and UW Global Health, Health Metrics.

7 minutes ago, CovidPhD said:

Hi there, I have interviews scheduled with Harvard Health Policy, Decision Sciences faculty this week. I also am interviewing with Stanford Health Policy, Decision Sciences and have completed interviews for Harvard PHS, Global Health, and UW Global Health, Health Metrics.

Ah congrats! Sounds like you have a great profile! Mind sharing your stats? Do you by any chance know of any methods/econs applicants offered an interview? Thanks! And good luck with your interviews!!

1 hour ago, epihsrhopeful said:

Ah congrats! Sounds like you have a great profile! Mind sharing your stats? Do you by any chance know of any methods/econs applicants offered an interview? Thanks! And good luck with your interviews!!

Sure. 3.91 GPA undergrad, 3.97 GPA in a research masters, 2 first author publications, handful of technical reports/policy briefs, and 5 years work experience both international and domestic (I’m old). I didn’t submit GRE scores. I got my masters at Harvard, so I think that helped me out because I am familiar with some of the faculty. I think unfortunately this is as much a networking game than a game of merit since there are many many qualified applicants. 

I don’t actually know any other people who have applied - I assume though that they’d send interview invites for all the tracks around the same time but again I have no idea.

good luck to you as well!

Edited by CovidPhD