PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

I hope everyone is hanging in there, this waiting period has been brutal! Hopefully we will all hear back soon! I was accepted to UW PhD Epidemiology yesterday and am really excited! If anyone else was accepted, feel free to DM me so we can connect! Also, I am trying to navigate their funding mechanism so if anyone has any information on that, I would greatly appreciate it! Wishing everyone the best of luck during this process, it seems this is one of the most competitive years so the stress level has been very high on my end for sure

42 minutes ago, epi2be said:

I hope everyone is hanging in there, this waiting period has been brutal! Hopefully we will all hear back soon! I was accepted to UW PhD Epidemiology yesterday and am really excited! If anyone else was accepted, feel free to DM me so we can connect! Also, I am trying to navigate their funding mechanism so if anyone has any information on that, I would greatly appreciate it! Wishing everyone the best of luck during this process, it seems this is one of the most competitive years so the stress level has been very high on my end for sure

Congratulations that’s an incredible program!!

2 hours ago, Waitingispain said:

They could be sending invitations out in batches, or based on domestic/international student status. I have my fingers crossed for you! 

yes, I got the email right after i replied you, did interview today...find out i am actually more nervous expecting the admission decision.... finger crossed. All the best for your interview!!!

2 hours ago, t12345 said:

I received invitations to interview for Harvard Health Policy (Decision Science) and Stanford Health Policy (Decision Science) on Monday/Tuesday, so I don't think it's particularly late in the cycle yet.

Congratulations! What's your profile?

23 minutes ago, PHD2021 said:

yes, I got the email right after i replied you, did interview today...find out i am actually more nervous expecting the admission decision.... finger crossed. All the best for your interview!!!

Terrific!! Glad you received good news and I am sure you were stellar at the second interview! Mine is later this week. Completely relate to the nervousness but thankfully work is keeping me distracted :)

2 hours ago, ALLSPH said:

Congrats! And all the best to the interview! I'm wondering whether "all epi candidates" means one track or all tracks of epi in JHU...

It's likely all tracks for epi. The JHU PhD admissions process for epidemiology is basically as follows: 

1) the admissions committee (admin and faculty) review all of the applications and form a short list.

2) This short list is then sent to the specific tracks that the applicants applied to, and the faculty in those tracks decide from that list who they would like to invite to interview.

3) After interviews, they send their top choice candidates back to the admissions committee.

4) The admissions committee then ultimately decides who gets accepted/waitlisted/rejected.

So the admissions committee probably wants each track to send them their top picks by the end of this month so that they can make their final decisions and send out acceptances in mid-February (in recent years acceptances have gone out ~Feb 13th). 

I'm not sure whether this information will reduce or increase stress but I think generally knowledge is power, and I appreciated being told how the process worked by a faculty member when I was applying. I also think knowing the process makes it a little easier to realize that even if you don't get in, it is not personal. There are hundreds of qualified and exceptional applicants and only ~14 spots. It's rough, but please hang in there! I wish this whole forum all the best of luck this admissions season!

Edited by AnonEpiPhD
sentence sounded weird

31 minutes ago, PHD2021 said:

Hi PHD2021, congrats and good luck. Would you feel comfortable sharing what the interviews were like and what your stats are? I have not heard back from Harvard DrPH yet and I am quite bummed about it. Did they give you an indication during your interview of what kind of candidate they are looking for? Thank you

Hey all - Thanks for your updates! I only applied to DrPH programs at UNC and Hopkins (HPM concentration).

I interviewed with a Hopkins faculty member late last week. It was very laid back. Based on that convo and an email exchange with admissions, it sounds like decisions will be sent to applicants on or around the first week of March. 

I have not heard anything from UNC yet. Best of luck to everyone!

On 1/24/2021 at 2:49 PM, blan said:

To the people who asked:

I applied for the Economics track with Decision Sciences as a secondary option. 

I have a MSc in Health Economics and 5 years of policy analysis/academic research experience in health economics.

Not sure if that person’s real tbh

Edit: I was referring to t12345. Probably a fake

Edited by scalpelw
Wrong quote

Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I'd add my information to the conversation, especially since I've learned so much from other posters. 

I applied to different HPM schools for fall 2021. 

Interview Request: WUSTL, Drexel, IUPUI

No word yet: Brown (although I already assume I'm out), JH, Vanderbilt 

I also applied to a couple of public policy PhD's, but that's less relevant here. 

4 minutes ago, DarkPassenger said:

LOL why do you assume that?

Lol just saying but I talked to a few current decision science students they were saying they’re not aware of any IIs being sent out yet so... btw I chose DS as my second concentration

Edited by scalpelw

7 minutes ago, HSR_PhD Hopeful said:

Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I'd add my information to the conversation, especially since I've learned so much from other posters. 

I also applied to a couple of public policy PhD's, but that's less relevant here. 

Hi.. are you referring to WUSTL PhD in public health sciences? When did they interview you. If comfortable could you plz tell if you were an international student? My apologies for asking so many questions.

Just now, Rka said:

Hi.. are you referring to WUSTL PhD in public health sciences? When did they interview you. If comfortable could you plz tell if you were an international student? My apologies for asking so many questions.

Hi, I am referring to the public health sciences program. I interviewed last Friday and I'm a domestic student. I'm under the impression that interview requests are out though.... sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

17 minutes ago, HSR_PhD Hopeful said:

I had an informal interview with JHU HPM PhD. Decisions should be sent this week or in the next 2 weeks. The wait is killing me. Constantly checking the portal like an idiot lol

Edited by DarkPassenger

21 hours ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Has anyone heard back from UCLA's PhD in Community Health Sciences program? Thanks!

I have an interview with UCLA's PhD in CHS scheduled this week! It took them a while to lock down a date for an interview with very little communication in between. Hope this helps and good luck! 

Edited by healthequitySF

23 minutes ago, oboecho said:

Hey all - Thanks for your updates! I only applied to DrPH programs at UNC and Hopkins (HPM concentration).

I interviewed with a Hopkins faculty member late last week. It was very laid back. Based on that convo and an email exchange with admissions, it sounds like decisions will be sent to applicants on or around the first week of March. 

I have not heard anything from UNC yet. Best of luck to everyone!

This is the first update I’ve heard about JHU’s DrPH program. Congrats on your interview! March seems so far away ?

3 minutes ago, HSR_PhD Hopeful said:

Hopefully they can put me out of my misery!!! I'd rather just know then be constantly "application under review".

Hey there! Any chance you applied to the Health and Public Policy track for the JHU HPM PhD? I believe that @DarkPassenger applied to the HSR track but I've been trying to track down folks who applied to HPP to commiserate lol. The wait is also killing me!! I had a very anxiety-filled dream about the JHU decision last night lol.

9 minutes ago, HSR_PhD Hopeful said:

Hi, I am referring to the public health sciences program. I interviewed last Friday and I'm a domestic student. I'm under the impression that interview requests are out though.... sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

No problem please. Thanks for the update. 

2 minutes ago, srp10215 said:

Hey there! Any chance you applied to the Health and Public Policy track for the JHU HPM PhD? I believe that @DarkPassenger applied to the HSR track but I've been trying to track down folks who applied to HPP to commiserate lol. The wait is also killing me!! I had a very anxiety-filled dream about the JHU decision last night lol.

That's correct -- I applied to HSR. I think different tracks have different timelines?