PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

1 hour ago, drunkenduck said:

Thanks, MCH! Still nothing from USF, I'm starting to think they forgot about me?

Ugh. I hope you hear back soon. If not, their loss! Any word from SLU? They weren’t on my radar when I originally did my applications but they’ve got a pretty good MCH focus, so I’m kicking myself a little for the oversight. 

On 1/14/2021 at 10:33 PM, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

I’m totally sure everyone knows this, but just a reminder that getting into these programs is so hard so I really just want to normalize rejection as most posts on here end up being interviews and acceptances! A lot of times it just comes down to funding, and not being a bad applicant. You are all stars, and you should be so proud of going through the rIgorous and expensive application process. Being rejected is totally normal (I had SO many), but I hope all of y’all end up where you want to be! ?

I just wanted to affirm this again. I applied to PhD programs for fall of 2020 in my senior year of college, and I was rejected from 10 PhD programs and 1 Masters program (which was everywhere I applied!). I felt like I had a solid application, and hadn't made any other plans post graduation, so this was a big blow to me. Going into this year, I was pretty pessimistic, but I have already been accepted into 2 programs. :) 

The year between my undergrad and grad has been very helpful for figuring out what topics I'm interested in researching, what I want to ultimately do with my career, and also just taking care of myself and getting some new hobbies. I also used this time to revamp my application, and I think I was able to improve it a lot.

3 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

As of now, I'm out at Penn, Pitt, and Emory. All PhDs. 

Still no invites for interviews. Now I'm convinced I'm never getting out of my dead end job or advancing in the world. 

Still waiting for: 

DrPH: BUSPH, Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, GW, Penn State

PhD: Brown, Northeastern, UMass, UMd, UNC, Tulane, Temple, Drexel, Rutgers 

My brother died by suicide at 32 years old Nov 16. I have to try and pick up the pieces. This whole thing is a mess. I regret even trying. 

I am so very sorry. I have the utmost respect and admiration for you for taking on the PhD/DrPH application process, which is GRUELING under any circumstance but made all the more taxing by this unimaginable loss. Keeping you in the light during this process and beyond. 

5 hours ago, researchlover11 said:

I am not sure if it is worse to get rejected without an interview or to get rejected after an interview?

I think it's also a little bit of a confidence boost, since it shows your application made it above the majority of people who applied, even if you didn't make the ultra competitive final cut.

3 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still no invites for interviews. Now I'm convinced I'm never getting out of my dead end job or advancing in the world. 

Still waiting for: 

My brother died by suicide at 32 years old Nov 16. I have to try and pick up the pieces. This whole thing is a mess. I regret even trying. 

I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine the pain you must be going through. Please take care of yourself.

21 minutes ago, MCH_Hopeful_2021 said:

Ugh. I hope you hear back soon. If not, their loss! Any word from SLU? They weren’t on my radar when I originally did my applications but they’ve got a pretty good MCH focus, so I’m kicking myself a little for the oversight. 

I had an interview with them last week and I'll be chatting with a POI soon, so fingers crossed. I was surprised before that we didn't have more program overlap, with such similar interests!

17 minutes ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

I am so thrilled for you! ? This year is especially hard with the “Fauci effect”, where there is a huge increase in medical school and public health applications. I am so astounded and proud of all of you, I think Brown saw an over 100% increase for all their public health PhD programs for the same number of spots?

Oh my god I just realized I'm in the wrong forum ???  I thought this was a general thread for all PhD applicants. I'm actually applying to Physics and Astronomy programs. I think my motivational points still stand though! Good luck to all of you!

Edited by OmniWheel

5 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

First of all, I am terribly sorry about your brother. Many people have already stated what I'm thinking, but I want to say that the fact that you were able to complete your applications is a major accomplishment. Also--something that I've been trying to remind myself regularly--what these schools decide to do regarding your application says nothing about your value, who you are as a person, or your career potential. All of us applied not knowing whether we had a chance of getting accepted, and I think we are all brave for that. You will not have to be in your current job forever, and something great will absolutely work out for you. Please don't give up. 

5 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother.  I hope you are taking care of yourself during what has to be an unbelievably difficult time. 

In terms of grad schools, I second what everyone else has said - there are tons of programs that are still reviewing apps (including many of the programs you applied to), and the responses you've received that haven't been favorable could be for the best. Often times it's not about qualifications, but about research fit, funding available, and the capacity for advisors to take on new students, so please don't think this means you are undeserving of getting in!

I know it is difficult, but keep your head up. There are still a ton of programs out there for you, and if you don't get in this cycle, there is always next year (and hey, you'll already have most of your essays written!).  As for work, staying in jobs where you aren't appreciated or where the work doesn't resonate with you is incredibly draining. Just know there are always other jobs out there, and it is never too late to pursue another job. 

Best of luck to you, and take care. 

6 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

Hang in there HealthMatters. I echo others’ sentiments, which are expressed more articulately than I can. I am deeply sorry for your loss and hoping that everything works out with the schools. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. No matter what happens, you are a better person for having gone through the grueling process. 

5 hours ago, drunkenduck said:

Thanks, MCH! Still nothing from USF, I'm starting to think they forgot about me?

Hey drunckenduck!  I've been a silent lurker on here but I haven't heard from USF for the DrPH Laboratory Science and Practice program at this point either.   What are the chances they forgot about 2 people! 

8 hours ago, Waitingispain said:

Feeling this. Had an interview last week and currently waiting to see if I've been selected to advance to the second round of interviews. I'd be pretty shattered if I got rejected at this stage. Anxiety is through the roof!

Are you still waiting to hear from the Harvard DrPH Program regarding second round?

2 minutes ago, Coffee All Day said:

No word yet?.  I alternate between "that went OK" and "that was my worst exhibition of social skills to date".  It's a real rollercoaster of emotions right now. 

Oh absolutely - I feel the same. I wonder if the cohort this year will be slightly larger given that applications for public health degrees have sharply risen. My interviewer did mention they had quite a lot of interviews to go through that week. Hoping this means more get accepted vs more get the cut!

13 hours ago, ♀HealthMatters said:

Still waiting for: 

Hi HealthMatters, you're amazing for having worked so hard during a time of so much difficulty. I am so very sorry for your loss. Don't lose hope, you are going to do so so well! My best wishes, please do take care of yourself.

Hello! I just received a generic email from Johns Hopkins Epi regarding a "timeline update." The email says that "faculty have just begun the interview step of the application process and may be in touch shortly to set up online interviews with each of the qualified PhD applicants for the Department of Epidemiology." It ended with "we appreciate your application to our department and hope that we are able to speak soon." Sharing just FYI. 

1 hour ago, 2021envirohealth said:

Has anyone who applied to the Harvard PHS Environmental Health track heard anything? 

Hi! I interviewed with the PHS EH track a couple of weeks ago and they said they should be sending out decisions within the next week or so. It was VERY unclear as to whether or not an interview was required for admission so if you haven't heard anything I wouldn't worry just yet! 

53 minutes ago, Baby_Yoda said:

Hello! I just received a generic email from Johns Hopkins Epi regarding a "timeline update." The email says that "faculty have just begun the interview step of the application process and may be in touch shortly to set up online interviews with each of the qualified PhD applicants for the Department of Epidemiology." It ended with "we appreciate your application to our department and hope that we are able to speak soon." Sharing just FYI. 

That’s exciting. So does that mean you’ll be getting an interview soon? 

2 minutes ago, Epi_researchjunkie said:

That’s exciting. So does that mean you’ll be getting an interview soon? 

I'm really not sure. It was not a personalized email, and my name was not even mentioned. I assume it was a mass email sent to many applicants. 

5 minutes ago, EH2021 said:

Hi! I interviewed with the PHS EH track a couple of weeks ago and they said they should be sending out decisions within the next week or so. It was VERY unclear as to whether or not an interview was required for admission so if you haven't heard anything I wouldn't worry just yet! 

Hi, That's good to know. Best wishes for your outcome. Was it conducted by POI or admission committee member? 

Have you had informal chat/meeting with your POI before application?