PhD/DrPH Applicants: Fall 2021

On 11/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, jzhh96 said:

Hi everyone!

I know this would probably be the last minute ask since many people have already submitted their application, but is anyone willing to review my SOP? I've been really struggling with it these days. 

I'll be applying to JHU, UNC, Emory and UT Austin this time. 

Best of luck with the process to everyone! Have a great weekend^^

Have you heard anything specific from UNC- Nutrition? 

1 hour ago, Epi_researchjunkie said:

Has anyone heard from UNC PhD in epi program ? Does anyone if they conduct interviews? 

Also applied and haven't heard back. From previous years, it looks like they don't conduct interviews and send out decisions late February. 

14 minutes ago, Scm2558 said:

Have you heard anything specific from UNC- Nutrition? 

Hi, there. Yes, I've emailed my POI last week about not receiving any interview invites. We had a great conversation back in November and she actually mentioned the challenge of funding towards international applicants (the program I applied to is a little bit unique). But I applied anyway. Last week she replied to me that they were required to show evidence of at least 2 years of funding (ideally all 4 years) for students prior to admitting them. My external funding only supports me in the first year so I assume this is equivalent to a rejection without the official letter. Feel really sad about it...

Before emailing my POI, I also contacted the committee and they said missing the open house event is not a rejection. As long as you satisfy all criteria and is matched with a faculty who is ready to take you as a Ph.D. student, then you should be approved for admission by the Ph.D. committee. I guess this is not my case. So hang in there before the final decision unveils!

Hope that helps! And wish you the best of luck!!!

14 minutes ago, jzhh96 said:

Hi, there. Yes, I've emailed my POI last week about not receiving any interview invites. We had a great conversation back in November and she actually mentioned the challenge of funding towards international applicants (the program I applied to is a little bit unique). But I applied anyway. Last week she replied to me that they were required to show evidence of at least 2 years of funding (ideally all 4 years) for students prior to admitting them. My external funding only supports me in the first year so I assume this is equivalent to a rejection without the official letter. Feel really sad about it...

Before emailing my POI, I also contacted the committee and they said missing the open house event is not a rejection. As long as you satisfy all criteria and is matched with a faculty who is ready to take you as a Ph.D. student, then you should be approved for admission by the Ph.D. committee. I guess this is not my case. So hang in there before the final decision unveils!

Hope that helps! And wish you the best of luck!!!

Thank you, this information sheds some light on the process! I hope they are able to get funding worked out for you.   I have had great discussion with my POI with (I can hope) the only thing left to determine is funding.  When you said you reached out to the committee, do you mean one representative or multiple? 

Edited by Scm2558

1 hour ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

Last year I recieved my interview invite on January 21st. Also, this year applications are up >50%, so the recruitment process could take longer than usual. But, I honestly don't know.

Are applications up 50% in general for all schools, or were you just referring to this specific program? I've actually been very curious as to how this pandemic has affected the number of applicants in PhD programs overall, so your post really grabbed my attention! 

15 minutes ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Are applications up 50% in general for all schools, or were you just referring to this specific program? I've actually been very curious as to how this pandemic has affected the number of applicants in PhD programs overall, so your post really grabbed my attention! 

I have no way of knowing what it is like at other schools, but an administrator told current students at HSPH that apps are up 50% for the entire Population Health Sciences PhD program. More than 800 applications for ~45 seats. 

24 minutes ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I have no way of knowing what it is like at other schools, but an administrator told current students at HSPH that apps are up 50% for the entire Population Health Sciences PhD program. More than 800 applications for ~45 seats. 

Wow, that's a HUGE increase! ? Really makes me wonder what the stats are for the schools I applied to as well. Thank you! 

22 minutes ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Wow, that's a HUGE increase! ? Really makes me wonder what the stats are for the schools I applied to as well. Thank you! 

My POI at UW tweeted that he had never read so many applications, not even after 2008? Some professors from other schools/programs replied that they saw a huge increase as well, for some it was not that much increase tho, so I think it depends on specific program. 

Hi guys. I know i have been asking this question again n again. Have you guys heard from WashU, Drexel, IOWA or CUNY. Mostly phd  in HSR And P. For washU, its public health?

Hi everyone! I keep getting emails from BU about the Ask Me Anything chats with the Public Health dean. These are obviously generic emails for everyone who has shown interest in the programs but does anyone see a benefit in attending these? There might be information on timelines for acceptances/rejections but I'm not sure what else. Before I totally disregard them, I wanted to check with this group :)

An unrelated question to the above post - Did anyone apply to and hear news from Utah (Public Health), Arizona (HBHP), or Buffalo (Community Health & HB)? I know everyone is focused on the super top tiers so I haven't seen any info on the forum for these programs.

31 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

An unrelated question to the above post - Did anyone apply to and hear news from Utah (Public Health), Arizona (HBHP), or Buffalo (Community Health & HB)? I know everyone is focused on the super top tiers so I haven't seen any info on the forum for these programs.

Hi! I applied to the University of Arizona Health Behavior Health Promotion program. So far it’s been radio silent! I hope to hear something (either way) soon. Although when I searched it looked like UofA didn’t really get moving until February. 

46 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Hi everyone! I keep getting emails from BU about the Ask Me Anything chats with the Public Health dean. These are obviously generic emails for everyone who has shown interest in the programs but does anyone see a benefit in attending these? There might be information on timelines for acceptances/rejections but I'm not sure what else. Before I totally disregard them, I wanted to check with this group :)

Ok- these emails are messing with my mind! I’m just waiting for any news from BU then I get an email from “BU Graduate School Admissions” with the first three words being “We are thrilled” just to get some generic invite ? so annoying. I decided to sign up for this upcoming one just to see if we get any info on when we should hear back from them. I have never attended one before and I’m not sure if there is really any benefit in attending them.

Just now, LxRx said:

Ok- these emails are messing with my mind! I’m just waiting for any news from BU then I get an email from “BU Graduate School Admissions” with the first three words being “We are thrilled” just to get some generic invite ? so annoying. I decided to sign up for this upcoming one just to see if we get any info on when we should hear back from them. I have never attended one before and I’m not sure if there is really any benefit in attending them.

Ha! Totally in the same boat. I'll register too just for the fun of it. Can't hurt right?

36 minutes ago, cs4152008 said:

Ha! Totally in the same boat. I'll register too just for the fun of it. Can't hurt right?

I found it to be helpful and funny at the same time. I attended the one in December. It’s literally just the Dean answering people’s questions that are submitted to the chat box. It was helpful because he answered my questions about the program and funny because people were asking some ridiculous/unrelated questions. In regards to timeline, I’ve heard directly from faculty who used to be on the admissions committee that they typically start reviewing applications this week and next week and usually send out interview invitations the first/second week of February. I will say timeline is unpredictable this year because most schools received an increase in applications. 

1 minute ago, Epi_researchjunkie said:

I found it to be helpful and funny at the same time. I attended the one in December. It’s literally just the Dean answering people’s questions that are submitted to the chat box. It was helpful because he answered my questions about the program and funny because people were asking some ridiculous/unrelated questions. In regards to timeline, I’ve heard directly from faculty who used to be on the admissions committee that they typically start reviewing applications this week and next week and usually send out interview invitations the first/second week of February. I will say timeline is unpredictable this year because most schools received an increase in applications. 

Yes! I remember them being so funny. I went to one for Harvard too and people were asking things like "Can you tell me how to apply to this program?". I feel like if you can't figure that one out on your own, you might be in the wrong place :)

16 minutes ago, PublicHealthPhD2021 said:

Congratulations on the interview! I was wondering if you would be comfortable sharing your stats? I also applied to the BSHE program, am waiting to hear back still. 

Thanks, and absolutely!

I have a 3.0 GPA from undergrad (college was rough) but a 4.0 in my MPH. GRE is 169V/161Q/5.0W. I have 5 years of clinical research experience and 2 years of experience in my research areas of interest. 2 conference presentations and 1 publication. As you can tell from my stats, I'm not the most remarkable applicant. I feel very fortunate to have gotten interviews. 

In any case, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get good news from Emory and other programs soon!